UnderGround Forums

Pro Wrestling Ground >> Official Puroresu News/Discussion/Video Thread

3/22/12 11:05 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Enamoratu
300 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/22/12 11:06 PM
grizz632 - The residual effects still linger for both companies too. All Japan never really recovered from the loss of star power, and Noah never bothered to establish a new generation of stars and just relied on the old guard and are hurting for it now. I don't think there's any going back for either though

Also, I'm a big Suwama fan too, have been since he first joined Voodoo Murders

The industry as a whole seems to be in a rut in Japan(although attendance at Wrestle Kingdom in January was over 40,000 if I remember correctly).

What do you guys think is the main reason for the lessened interest?

An oversaturation of the market thanks to the number of independent promotions?

A cultural shift with younger Japanese simply not caring about puro?

Possibly a sense of shame in seeing a good number of their national hero's soundly beaten when crossing over to MMA (leading to a downturn in both industries)?

Lets hope we see another boom period in the next few years in terms of fan interest as the shows have been quality. 
3/23/12 2:36 AM
Enamoratu
300 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

With all the talk of Okada, it should be noted that he is lucky to be alive and still walking after this encounter with former GHC Heavyweight Champion Takashi Sugiura.
3/23/12 2:39 AM
Enamoratu

Suwama (C) vs Akiyama for the Triple Crown
3/23/12 3:03 AM
Enamoratu

Tom Lawlor -  Sekimoto is awesome too
Agreed. The guy is a killer in the ring.

Here he is in a recent match with team mate Okabayashi against Team Cholesterol (featuring K-1 legend Akebono).

Not the greatest match in the history of histories but I always find it entertaining when big guys are thrown around.

3/23/12 12:13 PM
dustynothing
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Got to hang out with Okada back in November. He is a great guy and bought my gf and I sushi. I am very happy for his success. Phone Post
3/24/12 2:36 PM
grizz632
695 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Enamoratu -
grizz632 - The residual effects still linger for both companies too. All Japan never really recovered from the loss of star power, and Noah never bothered to establish a new generation of stars and just relied on the old guard and are hurting for it now. I don't think there's any going back for either though

Also, I'm a big Suwama fan too, have been since he first joined Voodoo Murders

The industry as a whole seems to be in a rut in Japan(although attendance at Wrestle Kingdom in January was over 40,000 if I remember correctly).

What do you guys think is the main reason for the lessened interest?

An oversaturation of the market thanks to the number of independent promotions?

A cultural shift with younger Japanese simply not caring about puro?

Possibly a sense of shame in seeing a good number of their national hero's soundly beaten when crossing over to MMA (leading to a downturn in both industries)?

Lets hope we see another boom period in the next few years in terms of fan interest as the shows have been quality. 
I wish I knew why interest isn't higher. Some companies seem less affected than others though. I don't think it's oversaturation from indys. I doubt companies like DDT, Osaka Pro, or K-Dojo are cutting into ticket sales or interest in the bigger companies. If anything, with all the cross promotion that's been booked in NJPW, AJPW, and other places, strong indys should be an asset to the industry. Look at all the great matches NJPW and DDT were able to promote with the Apollo 55 vs Golden Lovers feud last year, or Masato Tanaka vs Nagata. Plus all the happenings in AJPW with Sekimoto and Kenny Omega. If the match quality stays as good as it's been, and new stars like Naito, Okada, Tozawa, etc keep emerging, the fans will be back Phone Post
3/24/12 6:20 PM
Enamoratu

grizz632 - If the match quality stays as good as it's been, and new stars like Naito, Okada, Tozawa, etc keep emerging, the fans will be back Phone Post

I hope so. I loved the big, hot crowds at the big 80's and 90's shows.
3/25/12 1:42 AM
shootfightermike
978 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

3/25/12 1:43 AM
shootfightermike
978 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

3/25/12 5:36 AM
Enamoratu

The REAL Razor Ramon!
3/25/12 6:43 AM
shootfightermike

Enamoratu -  The REAL Razor Ramon!

lol! yep
3/25/12 12:15 PM
grizz632
695 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I really miss Hustle sometimes Phone Post
3/25/12 1:54 PM
shootfightermike

grizz632 -  I really miss Hustle sometimes Phone Post

same
3/26/12 3:23 AM
Enamoratu

Hustle FTW!

Someone should have told Cro Cop he's supposed to pull his kicks though.

3/26/12 2:40 PM
Tom Lawlor
558 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

who are the best guys from this new generation?

obviously Naito, Okada, Suwama, Shiozaki are leading the way. Who else? Phone Post
3/26/12 4:13 PM
grizz632

From New Japan, he's been around for a few years now but I'm a big fan of Hirooki Goto. Prince Devitt is the class of the junior division as far as I'm concerned.

From Dragon Gate, Yamato is amazing. The best Dragon System product since Milano Collection A.T. in my opinion, and that includes Okada. Also, Akira Tozawa has really come into his own in the last year

From the indys, my favorites have been Katsuhiko Nakajima from Diamond Ring and Kota Ibushi from DDT. Fujita Junior Hayato from Michinoku Pro is class also. I'm also a big fan of Kengo Mashimo from Kaientai Dojo, though, like Goto he's been at it for a while as well Phone Post
3/26/12 6:47 PM
TtoMyJ14
114 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hows Prince Devitt doing? I havent watch new Japan in awhile
3/26/12 6:56 PM
grizz632

Best junior heavy in the world. Devitt has dominated over the last 2 years or so, to the point that there aren't many legit challengers left for his IWGP junior heavyweight title. He's amazing Phone Post
3/26/12 8:11 PM
grizz632

Here's a good one from Devitt

Prince Devitt vs Naomichi Marufuji - IWGP Jr Heavy Title Match

3/26/12 8:15 PM
grizz632

A good match for those unfamiliar with Fujita Jr Hayato

Fujita Jr Hayato vs Koji Kanemoto - BOSJ XVIII Day 1

3/26/12 8:40 PM
grizz632

Two of Dragon Gate's best. The improvement of Tozawa has been incredible to watch over the last year or so

3/26/12 8:52 PM
grizz632

Wish I could find the full match of this, it was really high on my match of the year list last year.

Highlights of Katsuhiko Nakajima vs Kotaro Suzuki - GHC Jr Heavy title

3/29/12 12:03 AM
grizz632

Was watching some old Toryumon/Dragon Gate tonight. I miss the Florida Brothers...

3/29/12 12:59 PM
Stryfe
61 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

grizz632 - Was watching some old Toryumon/Dragon Gate tonight. I miss the Florida Brothers...

Glad you posted this. I always wondered what was almost said at the end of the match. The Florida brothers have some great matches
3/29/12 4:24 PM
Stryfe
61 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I seen a few pics of Hiroshi Tanahashi wearing face paint. Was that when he teamed with Tatsu or something different?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.