UnderGround Forums

Pro Wrestling Ground >> Official Puroresu News/Discussion/Video Thread

3/11/13 10:47 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
grizz632
514 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He's cracking jokes and shit too, the audience is laughing their asses off. FLM...

3/11/13 10:58 PM
grizz632
514 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/11/13 10:59 PM
They just showed a bunch of congratulatory videos from people on Kobashi's 25th anniversary. Check out this lineup of well wishers

Also, I understand next to nothing of what is being said, but from what I gather Kobashi loves Facebook and has many Facebook "tomodachis"

Now they're raffling off a bunch of Kobashi merch. Some guy just won a pair of Kobashi trunks
3/11/13 11:01 PM
grizz632

Show's over, it ends with Kobashi signing and shaking hands with the whole audience

I'm gonna fucking miss that guy
3/11/13 11:20 PM
Stryfe
51 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I bet that was cool watching not even being able to understand it all. I remember watching A clip on Hashimoto retiring and then they showed the follow up story where so many fans sent in thousands of origami cranes to talk him out of it
3/11/13 11:40 PM
grizz632

Yeah, it was pretty cool. Wish I could have understood what Chono, Muto, and Tenryu were saying though.

This IPTV is the best money I ever spent. Whatever this show that's on Samurai TV right now is it's the greatest thing ever. It's like Sportscenter for Puro and MMA. I've gotten highlights of this past weekends shows in New Japan, All Japan, and Noah so far, with clips still to come from Zero-1, Michinoku Pro, K-Dojo, Ice Ribbon, JWP, and DEEP.

I'm living the dream...
3/12/13 1:01 AM
grizz632

Just finished watching the highlights of the first round in the New Japan Cup. Crazy, crazy upset filled show. Results courtesy of purorezufan.com

NJPW, 3/11/13 (Samurai! TV)
Tokyo Korakuen Hall
1,950 Fans – Super No Vacancy

1. New Japan Cup – Round 1: Tomohiro Ishii beat Satoshi Kojima (13:37) with a brainbuster.
2. New Japan Cup – Round 1: Hirooki Goto beat Tama Tonga (9:37) with the Shouten Kai.
3. New Japan Cup – Round 1: Toru Yano beat Manabu Nakanishi (6:18) by pinfall.
4. New Japan Cup – Round 1: Karl Anderson beat Hiroyoshi Tenzan (8:42) with the Gun Stun.
5. Special 6 Man Tag Match: Hiroshi Tanahashi, KUSHIDA & Alex Shelley beat Captain New Japan, Prince Devitt & Ryusuke Taguchi (12:09) when Tanahashi used the High Fly Flow on Captain.
6. New Japan Cup – Round 1: Yujiro Takahashi beat Togi Makabe (10:45) with a Bukko Nuki German suplex hold.
7. New Japan Cup – Round 1: Minoru Suzuki beat Yuji Nagata (10:24) with a Gotch- piledriver.
8. New Japan Cup – Round 1: Kazuchika Okada beat Lance Archer (10:14) with the Red Ink.
9. New Japan Cup – Round 1: Davey Boy Smith Jr. beat Shinsuke Nakamura (13:06) with a jumping powerbomb.

I still haven't picked my jaw up from the floor after seeing Smith beat Nakamura. I was expecting a few upsets, mainly Yujiro over Makabe, but I thought Nakamura would cruise. This feud gets more and more one-sided in Suzukigun's favor with every passing show

The move Okada beat Archer with, Red Ink, is his new finisher. It's a submission that he will be using instead of the Rainmaker from now on
3/12/13 10:47 AM
Stryfe
51 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I haven't seen Red Ink but it sounds like an STF version
3/12/13 11:27 AM
grizz632

You could say that yeah. It's kind of like an indian death lock with a crossface. I'm not sure I like it yet, it's a bit convoluted to setup. Kind of the same problem as the Rainmaker Phone Post
3/12/13 12:55 PM
Stryfe

grizz632 -  You could say that yeah. It's kind of like an indian death lock with a crossface. I'm not sure I like it yet, it's a bit convoluted to setup. Kind of the same problem as the Rainmaker Phone Post

Ah, ok, sounds like something similar to what Regal use to use.

I agree with you too as far as the set up it will be seen coming
3/12/13 11:48 PM
grizz632

I couldn't find a clip of it online anywhere so I capped it from a show I downloaded, so here's Okada debuting the Red Ink by tapping TAKA Michinoku with it

3/15/13 1:04 AM
grizz632

Here's a recap video of yesterday's All Japan show. Results are below as well

AJPW "HOLD OUT TOUR 2013", 13.03.2013
Hirosaki Kasai Sports Center
1,350 Fans - No Vacancy

1. Yasufumi Nakanoue beat Andy Wu (8:40) with a Single-Leg Crab Hold.
2. KENSO beat SUSHI (10:40) with a Diving Elbow Drop.
3. Akebono & Ryota Hama beat Seiya Sanada & Reid Flair (11:00) Hama over Flair with a Jumping Body Press.
4. All Asia Tag Team Title Skirmish - All Japan vs. Burning: Yoshinobu Kanemaru & Atsushi Aoki beat Koji Kanemoto & Hiroshi Yamato (13:10) Kanemaru over Yamato with the Touch Out.
5. AJPW World Tag Team Title Skirmish - All Japan vs. Burning: Jun Akiyama, Go Shiozaki & Kotaro Suzuki beat Takao Omori, Manabu Soya & Kaz Hayashi (18:04) Shiozaki over Hayashi with the Go Flasher.
6. Triple Crown Skirmish: Masakatsu Funaki, Masayuki Kono & Minoru Tanaka beat Suwama, Joe Doering & Shuji Kondo (13:51) Funaki over Kondo with the Hybrid Blaster.
3/15/13 11:27 AM
TheBearStare
237 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ya I don't think I like the red ink. Seems like a fancy move liger or another junior would pull off during the mat sequence of a match Phone Post
3/17/13 12:51 PM
Stryfe

I see Goto beating out Okada for the NJPW Cup!
3/17/13 4:23 PM
grizz632

Edited: 03/17/13 4:23 PM
I could see that. If they do have Goto win it again, he's got to win the IWGP title this time. Can't have the guy win his 4th NJC and lose his title challenge every time. I stayed up late last night hoping to catch the show on Samurai TV only to find out it wasn't being shown live, so I have to wait until Wednesday night to see it. Results courtesy of puroresufan.com

NJPW, 3/17/13 (Samurai! TV)
Amagasaki Memorial Park Gymnasium
5,500 Fans – Super No Vacancy

1. Jushin Thunder Liger & Tiger Mask beat Captain New Japan & BUSHI (8:22) when Tiger used a crucifix hold on BUSHI.
2. Togi Makabe, Hiroyoshi Tenzan & Satoshi Kojima beat Takashi Iizuka, YOSHI-HASHI & Gedo (11:58) when Kojima used a lariat on Gedo.
3. Shinsuke Nakamura & Jado beat Lance Archer & TAKA Michinoku (9:34) when Nakamura used the Boma Ye on TAKA.
4. New Japan Cup – Round 2: Davey Boy Smith Jr. beat Yujiro Takahashi (11:43) with a jumping powerbomb.
5. New Japan Cup – Round 2: Hirooki Goto beat Tomohiro Ishii (18:46) with the Shouten Kai.
6. Kazushi Sakuraba & Katsuyori Shibata beat Yuji Nagata & Manabu Nakanishi (11:13) when Sakuraba used a triangle choke hold on Nakanishi.
7. Hiroshi Tanahashi, KUSHIDA & Alex Shelley beat Tama Tonga, Prince Devitt & Ryusuke Taguchi (12:18) when Tanahashi used the High Fly Flow on Tonga.
8. New Japan Cup – Round 2: Toru Yano beat Minoru Suzuki (10:14) with the Akakiri.
9. New Japan Cup – Round 2: Kazuchika Okada beat Karl Anderson (15:27) with the Rainmaker.

I really thought going into the tournament that Anderson would win it, but Okada put an end to that. That makes me think that Anderson may win the G-1 Climax this year instead. He's on too much of a roll to not win some hardware this year. I will never understand Yano advancing this far though, especially going over Suzuki. Yano is absolutely horrendous. If they were going to have another CHAOS guy in the semis it should have been Iizuka or Takahashi. Doesn't really matter too much though, the finals have to be Okada/Goto they way things lined up

NJPW, 3/23/13 (WPW/iPPV)
Tokyo Korakuen Hall

1. New Japan Cup – Semi Final: Hirooki Goto vs. Davey Boy Smith Jr.
2. New Japan Cup – Semi Final: Kazuchika Okada vs. Toru Yano
3. New Japan Cup – Final:

Also of note, Devitt's heel turn is steadily progressing. He was bashing Apollo 55's partner in this match, Tama Tonga, on twitter even before the match. On a previous show he did the same to Captain New Japan, and during that match he even lashed out at his Apollo 55 teammate Taguchi, to the point where Taguchi chose to tag Captain in instead of Devitt, which lead to the loss. Devitt's twitter is really entertaining reading lately, he's taking shots at everybody, so check it out if you need a laugh. This was my favorite recent tweet:

Prince Devitt ?@fergaldevitt

@LanceHoyt ... the @njpw1972 bus is just behind you..I hope you have your seat belt on lance!
3/17/13 6:18 PM
Stryfe

New Japan has done a great job IMO with building several guys at once unlike WWE/TNA where they will build a guy just to get someone over.

I like Devitt turning heel as long as the end plan is thought out past Tanahashi.

I thought Karl would go over Okada since they are building him for the future. I see Goto beating Nakamura to have Nakamura going after the world title. A win for Goto over Okada does not hurt Okada but it does more for Goto than the other way around.

If Captain New Japan is on your team you better worry! Why did NJPW keep their captain active and All Japan and Noah knew it was short term? Is that over?
3/17/13 6:45 PM
grizz632

Goto going over Nakamura would help both I think, but the problem with that is that if Goto wins the NJC again, that gives him another IWGP title shot immediately. There's no room for a program with Nakamura until that title challenge is over then, and Goto losing yet another high profile main event would destroy his credibility as a realistic IWGP title challenger in the future. Some would say that's already happened to Goto. He can't come off a loss like that and then go over Nakamura as that would then undo alot of the good that Nakamura has done for the IC title and slow Nakamura's momentum too much going into a main event program. The only real option for that would be for Okada to win the NJC, then enter Goto in a program with Nakamura, and honestly I'm not sure now is the right time for another Okada/Tanahashi match. I think Okada and Nakamura need to be focused on the CHAOS/Suzukigun feud and not on Tana.

My prediction as of today: Goto wins the NJC and finally wins the big one against Tana at Sumo Hall in April

Might be a bit of wishful thinking since I'm a big Goto fan, but I got a feeling

And yeah, the captain thing is done. Not sure why NJPW is keeping theirs active other than they have nothing else to do with him besides meaningless opening tags
3/17/13 8:44 PM
grizz632

Here's something I've been watching a bunch of lately that I figured I'd pass along, especially to those who have a hard time getting into puroresu because of the language barrier.  These guys used to have a local cable show back in the late '90s thru the mid-2000s where they'd show puroresu matches and comment on them, including backgrounds on the wrestlers and storylines that were happening.  One of the guys that did the show is a regular on another puro board and recently they decided to start the show up again, as well as put their back episodes up on youtube.  Their new shows aren't up yet, but they're planning on starting from the NJPW Dome Show and cover most of the big companies, including possibly recapping what has happened in the companies in the last few years.  I'd recommend subscribing to their youtube channel.  They've got over 100 shows up already I believe, with each one being around 2 hours long.  Lots of great matches

http://www.youtube.com/user/thewrestlingscene?feature=watch

3/18/13 11:46 PM
grizz632

Nothing new has been announced about the whole NWA Invasion angle in NJPW yet, but coincidentally the NWA just crowned a new worlds heavyweight champion less than a month before the show...

I'm sure others will be involved as well, but I'd expect Conway to be at the forefront now
3/19/13 12:00 AM
grizz632

Also, ROH announced that Roderick Strong's opponent for the Wrestlemania weekend "Supercard of Honor VII" iPPV will be New Japan gaijin kingpin Karl Anderson. Should be worth the price of the iPPV right there
3/19/13 9:46 PM
grizz632

An eventful few days for All Japan, starting this past Sunday with a big show at Tokyo Sumo Hall

AJPW "PRO-WRESTLING LOVE IN RYOGOKU BASIC & DYNAMIC", 17.03.2013 (GAORA TV)
Tokyo Ryogoku Kokugikan
9,000 Fans - No Vacancy

1. SUSHI & Andy Wu beat Hiroshi Yamato & Hikaru Sato (9:02) SUSHI over Yamato with the Katsuo Fishing.
2. Osamu Nishimura & Masanobu Fuchi beat KENSO & Reid Flair (7:35) Fuchi over Flair with an Inside Cradle.
3. All Asia Tag Team Title: Koji Kanemoto & Minoru Tanaka (c) beat Kotaro Suzuki & Atsushi Aoki (17:50) Tanaka over Suzuki with the Minoru Special (1st defense).
4. AJPW World Jr. Heavyweight Title: Yoshinobu Kanemaru (c) beat Kaz Hayashi (14:10) with the Touch Out (1st defense).
5. Masahiro Chono, Joe Doering & Shuji Kondo beat Akebono, Ryota Hama & Yasufumi Nakanoue (7:11) Doering over Nakanoue with the Revolution Bomb.
6. Special Tag Match: Keiji Muto & Don Frye beat Yoshihiro Takayama & Masayuki Kono (9:57) Muto over Kono with a Frankensteiner.
7. Special Singles Match: KAI beat Seiya Sanada (11:33) with a Jumping Fire Thunder Bomb.
8. AJPW World Tag Team Title: Jun Akiyama & Go Shiozaki beat Takao Omori & Manabu Soya (c) (24:53) Shiozaki over Soya with the Go Flasher - New Champions.
9. Triple Crown: Suwama beat Masakatsu Funaki (c) (30:15) with the Last Ride - New Champion.

So BURMING grab more gold with Go and Akiyama lifting the Double Cup titles from Get Wild, and the inevitable happened with Suwama regaining the Triple Crown from Funaki, marking his 3rd reign as champion. The first challenger for Suwama will most likely come from this year's Champion Carnival, the field for which was announced yesterday

2013 Champion Carnival Participants

- Suwama
- Masakatsu Funaki
- Takao Omori
- KENSO
- Masayuki Kono
- Seiya Sanada
- KAI
- Ryota Hama
- Akebono
- Jun Akiyama
- Go Shiozaki
- Joe Doering

A surprise omission from the field was Get Wild's Manabu Soya. All Japan held a press conference yesterday to announce that Soya will be going on hiatus to heal a hernia in his cervical vertebra that was causing some discomfort and paralysis of his oculomotor nerve. He has had the issue since last year apparently and felt the time was right to take time off to heal up now that the Double Cup titles were lost. He was replaced in the Champion Carnival field by Ryoto Hama, much to everyone's disappointment due to the overall awfulness of Hama
3/24/13 12:40 AM
grizz632

Results from the New Japan iPPV, including the New Japan Cup finals. Results courtesy of puroresufan.com

NJPW, 3/23/13 (WPW/iPPV)
Tokyo Korakuen Hall
2,015 Fans – Super No Vacancy Full House

1. Manabu Nakanishi, Jushin Thunder Liger & Tiger Mask beat Yuji Nagata, Super Strong Machine & BUSHI (10:07) when Nakanishi used an Argentine backbreaker on BUSHI.
2. Togi Makabe, Hiroyoshi Tenzan & Satoshi Kojima beat Takashi Iizuka, Yujiro Takahashi & YOSHI-HASHI (11:13) when Kojima used a lariat on YOSHI-HASHI.
3. New Japan Cup – Semi Final: Hirooki Goto beat Davey Boy Smith Jr. (8:14) with the Goto Shiki.
4. New Japan Cup – Semi Final: Kazuchika Okada beat Toru Yano (10:42) with the Red Ink.
5. Shinsuke Nakamura, Tomohiro Ishii & Jado beat Minoru Suzuki, Lance Archer & TAKA Michinoku Kaientai Dojo (14:04) when Ishii used a brainbuster on TAKA.
6. Karl Anderson, Tama Tonga, Prince Devitt & Ryusuke Taguchi beat Hiroshi Tanahashi, Captain New Japan, KUSHIDA & Alex Shelley (13:22) when Devitt used the Bloody Sunday on Captain.
7. New Japan Cup – Final: Kazuchika Okada beat Hirooki Goto (23:52) with the Rainmaker.

So the stars align for Tanahashi/Okada IV as The Rainmaker denies Goto his 4th NJC title in 5 years and adds yet more hardware to his trophy case. The title match will happen at the 4/7 "Invasion Attack" show at Sumo Hall. Along with that huge main event, some other news items coming out of the show:

- Alex Shelley challenged Prince Devitt for the IWGP Jr Heavyweight title. That match will be at the next Korakuen Hall show

- While being attached by CHAOS after his tag match, Togi Makabe got some help from an unexpected source, his returning GBH partner Tomoaki Honma. So it looks like whatever differences led to Honma being fired last year have been reconciled and he's back

- Nakamura and Ishii issued a challenge for the IWGP Tag Team titles. KES accepted the challenge, then Davey Boy Smith Jr challenged Nakamura for the IWGP Intercontinental title. It hasn't been announced when either match will occur, but I'm guessing it will be the IC title match at Korakuen, then the tag title match at "Invasion Attack"

- Yuji Nagata issued a challenge to Kazushi Sakuraba for the "Invasion Attack" show. That will leave the other half of Laugher7, Katsuyori Shibata, free for a singles match on that show, so it will be interesting to see who he ends up with

- NWA President Bruce Tharpe released another video today hyping up his choice for the NWA representative at "Invasion Attack". The man is quite the rare combination of being both horrible on the mic and a fantastic bullshit artist...

So as expected once he won the belt last week, Rob Conway will be the rep. The NWA's challenge has been accepted and Conway will put the NWA World Heavyweight Championship on the line against Satoshi Kojima on 4/7

The 4/7 "Invasion Attack" show will be an iPPV, and should be a really good one at that. Tana/Okada should be worth the price alone
3/25/13 11:24 PM
grizz632

Here are the lineups for the Korakuen Hall lead-in show and the 4/7 "Invasion Attack" iPPV. The challenge Nagata made for a singles match with Saku will now be a tag match with Goto joining Nagata against Laugher7. Also interesting to note that Akebono and Bob Sapp are returning on the iPPV

NJPW "ROAD TO INVASION ATTACK", 4/5/13 (Samurai! TV)
Tokyo Korakuen Hall

1. Road to INVASION ATTACK I: Ryusuke Taguchi vs. KUSHIDA
2. Road to INVASION ATTACK II: Yuji Nagata & Hirooki Goto vs. Manabu Nakanishi & Captain New Japan
3. Road to INVASION ATTACK III: Togi Makabe, Hiroyoshi Tenzan & Satoshi Kojima vs. Yujiro Takahashi, YOSHI-HASHI & Jado
4. Road to INVASION ATTACK IV: Minoru Suzuki & Yoshihiro Takayama vs. Toru Yano & Takashi Iizuka
5. Road to INVASION ATTACK V: Hiroshi Tanahashi & BUSHI vs. Kazuchika Okada & Gedo
6. IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Title: Prince Devitt (c) vs. Alex Shelley
7. IWGP Tag Team Title: Lance Archer & Davey Boy Smith Jr. (c) vs. Shinsuke Nakamura & Tomohiro Ishii

NJPW "INVASION ATTACK", 4/7/13 (WPW)
Tokyo Ryogoku Kokugikan

1. IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Tag Team Title: KUSHIDA & Alex Shelley (c) vs. Prince Devitt & Ryusuke Taguchi
2. Special 8 Man Tag Match: Hiroyoshi Tenzan, Manabu Nakanishi, Super Strong Machine & Akebono vs. Takashi Iizuka, Tomohiro Ishii, YOSHI-HASHI & Bob Sapp
3. CMLL World Tag Team Title: El Terrible & Tama Tonga (c) vs. La Mascara & Valiente
4. Special Tag Match: Togi Makabe & Tomoaki Honma vs. Masato Tanaka & Yujiro Takahashi
5. Special Singles Match: Toru Yano vs. Minoru Suzuki
6. Special Tag Match: Yuji Nagata & Hirooki Goto vs. Kazushi Sakuraba & Katsuyori Shibata
7. Triple Main Event I – NWA World Heavyweight Title: Ron Conway (c) vs. Satoshi Kojima
8. Triple Main Event II – IWGP Intercontinental Title: Shinsuke Nakamura (c) vs. Davey Boy Smith Jr.
9. Triple Main Event III – IWGP Heavyweight Title: Hiroshi Tanahashi (c) vs. Kazuchika Okada
3/26/13 1:13 AM
UGCTT_OBEY
147 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just finished watching the IPPV is there any website I can go to that will have a translation of okada and tanas encounter at the end

I might have to put some money aside for a Japanese Rosetta Stone lol Phone Post
3/26/13 9:01 AM
grizz632

Word for word not really. Puroresufan.com is the best New Japan news site out there, their recap may have some info about what was said. There's a Japanese guy, enuhito, on another forum that keeps a really up to date blog focused on New Japan, he may recap what was said there also Phone Post
3/31/13 2:07 AM
grizz632

Edited: 03/31/13 2:07 AM
Kind of a quiet weekend in Japan, but the All Japan Jr Hyper Tag League did kick off. The show started with a 10-bell salute to Reid Flair

AJPW "JR. HYPER LEAGUE 2013", 30.03.2013
Toyama Uozu Ariso Dome
350 Fans - No Vacancy

1. Jr. Hyper League: Koji Kanemoto & Minoru Tanaka [2] beat SUSHI & Andy Wu [0] (11:01) Tanaka over Wu with a Ground Cobra Twist.
2. Jr. Hyper League: Hiroshi Yamato & Hikaru Sato [2] beat Kotaro Suzuki & Atsushi Aoki [0] (17:20) Yamato over Aoki with a Cross-Arm Suplex Hold.
3. Turn to Champion Carnival: Takao Omori, Seiya Sanada & Ryota Hama beat Masakatsu Funaki, Masayuki Kono & MAZADA (9:17) Omori over MAZADA with an Axe Bomber.
4. Turn to Champion Carnival: Jun Akiyama & Go Shiozaki beat KAI & Yasufumi Nakanoue (12:34) Shiozaki over Nakanoue with the Go Flasher.
5. Turn to Champion Carnival: Suwama beat KENSO (16:54) with the Last Ride.
6. Jr. Hyper League: Yoshinobu Kanemaru & Masanobu Fuchi [2] beat Kaz Hayashi & Shuji Kondo [0] (18:53) Kanemaru over Hayashi with the Touch Out.

Jr. Hyper League Standings

1. Koji Kanemoto & Minoru Tanaka [2]
-. Hiroshi Yamato & Hikaru Sato [2]
-. Yoshinobu Kanemaru & Masanobu Fuchi [2]
4. Kaz Hayashi & Shuji Kondo [0]
-. SUSHI & Andy Wu [0]
-. Kotaro Suzuki & Atsushi Aoki [0]

One other news note came out of Osaka Pro, where a major roster shakeup occurred. It was announced that current Osaka Pro Champion Daisuke Harada as well as KUUGA will not be renewing their contracts with the company after they expire at the end of April. Along with them, 4 other wrestlers will become freelancers and will no longer be full time Osaka Pro wrestlers. Those wrestlers are 1/2 of the current Osaka Pro Tag Team Champions HAYATA, as well as Hideyoshi, Masamune, and Orochi. Harada and HAYATA both vacated their respective championships, and Kuuga announced that the JOKER stable will be ended after the April 29th show.

These are pretty big losses for a small company like Osaka Pro, but they should be fine. They have a good fanbase and do well for a small regional indy. I'm not sure where the others will end up, but I fully expect to see Daisuke Harada show up in Pro Wrestling Noah once his contract officially end in Osaka. His former tag team partner Atsushi Kotogi made that same jump last year and Harada joining him there seems like a natural fit

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.