UnderGround Forums

Pro Wrestling Ground >> Official Puroresu News/Discussion/Video Thread

3/29/12 11:26 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
grizz632
695 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You talking about the half-face Mike Tyson style facepaint? That was something he started doing last year when he was touring CMLL.
3/30/12 12:57 PM
Stryfe
61 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

grizz632 - You talking about the half-face Mike Tyson style facepaint? That was something he started doing last year when he was touring CMLL.

I never seen a clear pic and it was one of those deals where you can't find it again but random searching but it was half paint. Thank you very much! The half paint made me wonder if it was when he teamed with tatsu since Tatsu has used the half paint.
3/30/12 2:04 PM
grizz632
695 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nope, no connection to Tatsu as far as I know. They were referring to him as "The Great Tana" sometimes when he wore the paint, so it was probably just some temporary gimmick tweak he tried. He did use it at least once in Japan, but I don't remember seeing it much Phone Post
4/1/12 10:12 PM
grizz632

Interesting results from the first round of the New Japan Cup today:

La Sombra over YOSHI-HASHI
Karl Anderson over Hiroyoshi Tenzan
Hirooki Goto over Yujiro Takahashi
Shinsuke Nakamura beat MVP
Togi Makabe beat Lance Archer
Minoru Suzuki beat Yuji Nagata
Tetsuya Naito beat Satoshi Kojima
Hiroshi Tanahashi beat Toru Yano

Anderson gets a big win to restart his singles career, Outsider Minoru Suzuki gets the win over 2011 champ Nagata, and Naito gets a big win over Kojima. I really like the way the tournament is shaping up, though the second round matches may potentially be better than the finals

2nd Round:
La Sombra vs Goto
Anderson vs Nakamura
Naito vs Tanahashi
Makabe vs Suzuki
4/2/12 1:17 PM
TheBearStare
307 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

what's going on with Kenta Kobashi? I know he came back from cancer but then he got injured, correct? The Benoit deal and then Kobashi being out of action put a halt to my following of puro.
4/2/12 2:25 PM
grizz632

Yeah, he had to have surgery again after he came back, I think it was his knees again but I could be wrong. He's back now, but he's nowhere close to what he was. There are glimpses of the former greatness here and there, kind of like Mutoh. My favorite match of his since his return was the tag match he had with Mutoh at the All Together charity show last summer. Phone Post
4/2/12 8:17 PM
grizz632

Things just got really interesting for Prince Devitt

4/2/12 10:07 PM
grizz632

Edited: 04/02/12 10:16 PM
For anyone who isn't familiar with him, Lord Tensai's follower who debuted with him on Raw tonight is KAZMA, a former Kaientai Dojo Champion of Strongest K. Not much K-Dojo stuff online, but here's one I did find. He teams with MIYAWAKI to defend the Strongest-K Tag Championships taking on the challenge of Team Handsome, TAKA Michinoku and JOE. Kaientai Dojo loves their caps lock key

Also, K-Dojo's ring announcer may very well be the coolest cat on the planet. I strive every day to be half as cool as him
4/5/12 8:08 PM
grizz632

Second round of the New Japan Cup was today at Korakuen Hall

Hirooki Goto over La Sombra
Karl Anderson over Shinsuke Nakamura
Togi Makabe over Minoru Suzuki
Hiroshi Tanahashi over Tetsuya Naito

I'm not thrilled with Tanahashi beating Naito, but I'm not surprised either. Goto and Makabe I expected to advance, but holy shit at Anderson knocking off Shinsuke. NJPW is not messing around with trying to establish Anderson as a factor in the heavyweight division now that Bad Intentions is done with. First Tenzan and now Nakamura, setting up a semi-final match with Tanahashi. I can't see him going over Tana, but I didn't give him a chance against Shinsuke either, so who knows at this point. Semi-finals and final happen on the Korakuen show this Sunday

Semi-finals:
Karl Anderson vs Hiroshi Tanahashi
Hirooki Goto vs Togi Makabe
4/6/12 2:38 AM
TheBearStare
307 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks for all the info. Its appreciated. Kawada still wrestling or doing anything of note? Phone Post
4/6/12 10:25 AM
Slapnutz
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

whats up with the womans wrestling scene these days ?
4/6/12 7:09 PM
grizz632

TheBearStare - Thanks for all the info. Its appreciated. Kawada still wrestling or doing anything of note? Phone Post

Kawada has been a freelancer for the last few years. He's actually been working for Pro Wrestling Noah alot lately from what I've seen. I don't watch much Noah anymore, so I can't really say how his work has been
4/6/12 7:51 PM
grizz632

Slapnutz - whats up with the womans wrestling scene these days ?

Joshi ain't what it used to be, but there are still a handful of promotions active. Personally, I kind of threw in the towel on Joshi in the mid 2000s when all the big promotions closed, especially AJW and ARSION. Though I will say that I'm starting to pick up on it again a little bit.

I'm almost ashamed to admit it, but Ice Ribbon has been my guilty pleasure wrestling-wise the last year or so. Ice Ribbon was founded as a training school and many of their wrestlers debuted when they were really young, some around 10-11 years old. It's kind of like watching a grade school soccer match sometimes, which can be pretty fun. But they also bring in some bigger names on occasion. Last year, after one of Ice Ribbon's best wrestlers left to work for Tajiri's SMASH promotion, One of Ice Ribbon's younger wrestlers, Riho (13 years old) crashed the SMASH press conference and challenged Tajiri to a match at an Ice Ribbon show, which Tajiri accepted. Here's a highlight video from that show. In case anyone doesn't recognize her, the woman in black in the first match clip is Joshi legend Manami Toyota

Their shows are always entertaining, and the girls have some talent, most of them are incredibly green though
4/8/12 1:28 PM
grizz632

Edited: 04/08/12 1:35 PM
New Japan Cup semi-finals and finals were today.

Semi-finals
Hiroshi Tanahashi beats Karl Anderson with the Sling Blade
Hirooki Goto beats Togi Makabe with the Goto Shiki

That setup a big time final between Tanahashi and Goto, with the winner getting an IWGP Heavyweight title shot in Fukuoka on May 3rd:

Final
Hirooki Goto beats Hiroshi Tanahashi with the Shouten Kai

So Goto grabs his 3rd New Japan Cup title and moves on to challenge Kazuchika Okada on May 3rd. Seeing as though Goto is the current IWGP Intercontinental champion, I don't really see him going over Okada here. It's a bit too early to take the belt from him, but hopefully this is just the start of a nice build for Goto hopefully ending in an IWGP title reign. The last few times he's been pushed nothing really came of it, so I'm hoping this is the time they choose to let him have a run. Though, with Naito looming also, it's tough to say where the belt will go after Okada

I like Goto though, so here's hoping he gets the win

4/13/12 7:21 PM
grizz632

New Japan and All Japan held a joint press conference the other day to announce a joint 40th anniversary show at Sumo Hall in July. Both the IWGP Heavyweight title and the Triple Crown will be defended at the show allegedly. I'm hoping for some gnarly interpromotional matches out of this. Should be a good show
4/13/12 11:02 PM
Stryfe
61 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Need more videos like this. Really helps you keep up to date
4/14/12 12:27 AM
grizz632

Pretty cool video, especially since I don't watch Noah regularly anymore. I knew KENTA was getting pushed, but it looks like he was doing serious work last year. Bad timing for the knee injury though. Who knows if Noah will even still be in existence when he's ready to return
4/14/12 12:40 AM
Tom Lawlor
558 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

grizz632 - Pretty cool video, especially since I don't watch Noah regularly anymore. I knew KENTA was getting pushed, but it looks like he was doing serious work last year. Bad timing for the knee injury though. Who knows if Noah will even still be in existence when he's ready to return

so NOAH is doing that badly following Misawa's death or what?

what are the rankings for promotions based on their mainstream popularity/financial situation?
4/14/12 9:33 PM
grizz632

Tom Lawlor -
grizz632 - Pretty cool video, especially since I don't watch Noah regularly anymore. I knew KENTA was getting pushed, but it looks like he was doing serious work last year. Bad timing for the knee injury though. Who knows if Noah will even still be in existence when he's ready to return

what are the rankings for promotions based on their mainstream popularity/financial situation?
It just came out recently that two of the bigger names in the Noah office had yakuza connections and that they were involved in the finances and ticketing. As anyone involved with Pride can attest, yakuza connections becoming public can be crippling, practically a death sentence. Noah wasn't in great shape anyway, especially since they lost their NTV contract, and this may be the last straw. They only have a handful of heavyweights on the roster and have done a terrible job of building young talent Phone Post
4/14/12 10:45 PM
Stryfe

grizz632 - 
Tom Lawlor -

It just came out recently that two of the bigger names in the Noah office had yakuza connections and that they were involved in the finances and ticketing. As anyone involved with Pride can attest, yakuza connections becoming public can be crippling, practically a death sentence. Noah wasn't in great shape anyway, especially since they lost their NTV contract, and this may be the last straw. They only have a handful of heavyweights on the roster and have done a terrible job of building young talent Phone Post

The irony of that is the average fan knows the Yakuza has ties in about all the pro-wrestling and MMA organizations but once it becomes media knowledge it is shame
4/14/12 11:04 PM
grizz632

Exactly. That's what makes the Noah thing so unusual since they held a press conference and announced it themselves. I'm guessing it was going to be exposed by the press and they were just trying to make it seem like they were being proactive. Phone Post
4/15/12 2:31 PM
grizz632

More intrigue from New Japan this week. They held their second annual "Road to Super Juniors" qualification tournament, where the winner gets a slot in the upcoming "Best of the Super Juniors" Tournament. Same as last year, it was filled with mostly wrestlers from Japanese indys like K-Dojo, some freelancers, and a couple lower ranking New Japan guys. The interesting part was who won:

4/15 NJPW "Never 9 - Road to Super Juniors Tournament"
Semi Final: Madoka beat Hiro Tounai
Semi Final: Black Tiger beat Ryuichi Sekine
Final: Black Tiger beat Madoka

This is the first appearance of the Black Tiger character in New Japan since back in 2009. No word yet on who is under the mask, but it appears to be someone new, which would make this the 6th generation Black Tiger. After the tournament win, he aligned himself with Minoru Suzuki's "Suzuki Gun" unit, joining TAKA Michinoku and Taichi as Suzuki Gun's junior heavyweight reps

4/15/12 3:35 PM
Stryfe

The Super J cups are usually great. Last years had some great match ups
4/16/12 8:51 PM
grizz632

New Japan released a video where all the entrants in this year's Best of the Super Juniors are announced:

The inclusion of PAC puts this one over the top, it should be amazing. Too bad Kota Ibushi isn't healthy enough to defend his title, and I would have liked to have seen Fujita Jr Hayato return, but it will be excellent none the less
4/19/12 2:18 PM
Tom Lawlor
558 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

AWESOME

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.