UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Royce Gracie's 1994 Blackbelt?

3/23/12 12:50 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
None So Blind
222 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Unseen - It's like saying an 1800's Colt wastn't a good gun when compared to a Glock today.  A lot of ghosts would beg to differ.  

Love this quote :-)
3/23/12 1:04 PM
BradGluckman
606 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

graciesrule - Royce had his Black belt for 10 years in 1994. If you compare him to the top sport guys then you are disappointed, he was trained for Self-defense and street fighting. Let the top sport guys who have never done or cross trained MMA go against Ryron/Rener and see what happens.

This ^ Royce trained for fighting not sport  Jiu Jitsu with upside down guard
3/23/12 1:27 PM
Newaza freak
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/23/12 1:28 PM
Very few blues,purples,browns and even blacks belts can fight today for a hour and a half long,like when he fought Sakuraba.<br /><br /><br />Think about just pure grappling in class for an hour and half..........Now think about doing it in front of millions world wide and while your credible opponent is trying to knock you out. Most high purples would fail under 30 minutes.
3/23/12 1:40 PM
pickula
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ranier wolfcastle -  i know everyone here hates laimon and laimon hates most gracies, but he said royce was like a high blue in his early ufcs

Laimon says lots of stupid things but this is probably the stupidest. Does he really think a blue belt could beat the 1993 versions of Shamrock, Severn, Gordeau, Smith etc etc? I think a large number of today's blackbelts couldn't beat these guys - Royce was and still is the real deal - I've seen him myself at seminars tying legit brown and blackbelts in knots, toying with them, and cracking jokes at the same time. Laimon should crawl back under the stone he come out from, he's a jealous individual with no courage and a bitter and twisted mind.
3/23/12 1:50 PM
AK-BJJ
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/23/12 1:51 PM
The guy had already trained about 20 years with Helio, Rickson, Royler etc... This has gotta be one of the dumbest questions I've ever read lol
3/23/12 1:50 PM
BradGluckman
606 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

pickula - 
ranier wolfcastle -  i know everyone here hates laimon and laimon hates most gracies, but he said royce was like a high blue in his early ufcs

Laimon says lots of stupid things but this is probably the stupidest. Does he really think a blue belt could beat the 1993 versions of Shamrock, Severn, Gordeau, Smith etc etc? I think a large number of today's blackbelts couldn't beat these guys - Royce was and still is the real deal - I've seen him myself at seminars tying legit brown and blackbelts in knots, toying with them, and cracking jokes at the same time. Laimon should crawl back under the stone he come out from, he's a jealous individual with no courage and a bitter and twisted mind.

This    ^ a blue belt beating Severn Shamrock etc LOFL

3/23/12 2:32 PM
michaelwbray
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jack Johnson, rocky Marciano etc would be lucky to survive one round with the klitschko brothers.

Royce is legit. Phone Post
3/23/12 3:13 PM
BispingMadeMeBurnTheUKFlag
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dumbest thread I'm the history of dumb threads . Phone Post
3/23/12 3:48 PM
biggator
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

no spot for MIDNIGHT blue so i put black.

srsly all the talk of not being bb level back then was bc of the last name envy. and the fact that the gracies were sd and not sport.

walid beat him in a sport match and answered the question but that question wasnt is he a bb. it was sport vs sd in a sport setting.
3/23/12 3:48 PM
gravedigger
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Laimon should crawl back under the stone he come out from, he's a jealous individual with no courage and a bitter and twisted mind."

Damn tell us how you truly feel. lol.
3/23/12 3:54 PM
biggator
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

also watch rickson early fights and he does the same style; teep, clench, td, position, sub. that is the self defense that they teach and it beat all comers back then. sport guys didnt do that it was the gracies and their sd that shocked the world.
3/23/12 4:34 PM
Viet Rounder

I would bet that if you threw in an 'average' black belt today against a 94 Kimo most would get crushed let alone a blue belt.
3/23/12 5:01 PM
ShadoKhan
129 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wasa-B - Voted just so I can say:

"You'er a dumbass."

3/23/12 7:03 PM
Truemanc3
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In 1994 Royce had trained his whole life in GJJ under Helio and all his brothers!
What a stupid question!
Sure he was a black belt of todays level....

Idiot!
3/23/12 7:09 PM
carcaju
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kirik -  He was an excellent black belt by any standards. Don't think time changes everything. Jack Johnson unquestionably would be heavyweight champion today.

Yep.

VTFD VARIOUS. I expected more from you.
3/23/12 7:37 PM
Renzo's Elbow
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What about all those guys he beat in 1994. What whould you say their rank was.
3/23/12 7:57 PM
whoabro

Agree w OP, valid question to ask Phone Post
3/23/12 9:27 PM
nowaydo
57 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

His blackbelt was earned and developed for fighting...not winning by "advantage".

His BJJ was more functional than the guys today who specialize in their spider guards, X guards, tornado guards...
3/23/12 9:37 PM
Nader80Cent
807 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kirik -  He was an excellent black belt by any standards. Don't think time changes everything. Jack Johnson unquestionably would be heavyweight champion today.
You're crazy! Tyson alone would murder any HW from that timeframe. Phone Post
3/23/12 10:18 PM
1BL0Wko
48 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

last option should've been "higher than black belt"
3/23/12 10:43 PM
ausgepicht

Subtitle of thread: "How to knock over everyone's Acai kool-aid."
3/23/12 10:49 PM
BEEF & CHEESE

How does one go about being promoted from blue to high blue? Or purple to high purple, etc?
3/23/12 10:49 PM
VARIOUS

Calhoon - I understand where the OP is coming from with this.

If you ask yourself what belt level a 1994 Royce would be competitive at in a major tournament in 2012, you have to admit that it would be much less than black belt level. However Royce was and is definitely at black belt level. Everyone knows his game was geared towards self-defense and everyone will admit that he knew his game like the back of his hand, every move in his game was as natural as walking is to him.

Besides, even though his game was geared more toward self-defense, there are plenty of black belts today who could not keep up with the 1994 version of Royce in a sportive competition, these other black belts just don't compete.

^^This
3/23/12 10:51 PM
VARIOUS

BEEF & CHEESE - How does one go about being promoted from blue to high blue? Or purple to high purple, etc?

You know what I mean. Why be an ass?
3/23/12 11:06 PM
nexus6ca

A better way to word the question so it is less trolly is:

If we brought Royce from 1994 to the present, magically gave him the benefits of modern training etc, would he be able to dominate his weight class?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.