UnderGround Forums

Judo/Sambo UnderGround >> Tell me about Tenri in Los Angeles.

4/15/12 9:34 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
JoshuaResnick
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RandomMan... Their adult practices are not the best for a beginning white belt. The white belts they have there need to kind of figure it out for themselves on the nights i am there. Maybe on Mon, Tues, Thurs it is different. But when I go on Wednesday and when I use to go on Friday, it was not a place for a newb to learn much of anything.

Now, if I were you, i'd go check it out on the other nights for sure and see what you think for yourself. it would not be a waste of your time at all.
4/16/12 10:07 AM
easyrhino
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^^ agree. their practices are not really geared for beginners. if you are in that area, i would recommend hayward nishioka's classes at los angeles city college. it wont be as much fun in terms of being able to go and knock heads with a bunch of people, but nishioka is a great coach.
4/16/12 10:10 AM
easyrhino
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

josh,

does vitaliy vanyan still train there? is he taking it seriously these days? i used to train with him there and after having done randori with kunihiro, taketa, fujimoto and some of the other 60's in the LA area, i always thought he could have been really good if didnt piss off the refs all the time and took training seriously.

his workouts were hilarious. he could show up, skip what everyone else was doing, do his own warmups, then do randori. when randori was over, hed just go home.
4/16/12 10:51 AM
raleigh
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i think my shoulders been popping out if i get that worked out i can come and be a throwing dummy for you guys lol
4/16/12 11:11 PM
JoshuaResnick
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ER.... VV has/had the same problems that everybody in LA has always had. The different clubs in NANKA simply have not gotten together (yet) to determine that it is important for the area to have a serious collegiate program. If there was 1 program, 1 NANKA version of what they have at SJSU, Texas A&M, Tennessee, West Point, etc then this area would be so full of Olympians it would be insane.

When you get right down to it, there is no valid reason for there not to be a program at CSU Long Beach, Los Angeles or Fullerton. The local clubs should all seriously encourage their players to gradate from HS and go to that specific university to become the best Judokas possible.

Ego's need to be set aside and the clubs in the area simply need to get behind a single program and support it. In all honesty it would not take all that much to set-up a decent funding program and get a qualified coach to do it. There is one guy in particular within the NANKA area who is without question qualified to do the job... and, well, his competitive resume is without question-- even to those from NANKA with a very serious bend towards the Japanese.
4/17/12 3:49 PM
easyrhino

its quite a testament to what yosh uchida was able to accomplish at san jose state.

heres to hoping you can get it going in the right direction!
4/17/12 11:39 PM
shen
1050 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tenri is beautiful too, it feels like a real "dojo".
4/18/12 9:28 PM
JoshuaResnick

yea, it does.. ill be there again tonight.

10/10/12 1:28 AM
Seong gyeong
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Finally stopped by for the first time. Parked my car inside the church parking lot so I wouldn't get shanked. Saw a big guy, Takuya, from Sawtelle. Really friendly person. He was in both the Takahashi/Anai slaughter lines. A few white belts standing around. Eventually met Takahashi, shook his big ass hand. Signed my waiver, donated the $5, and changed into my gi.

Gradually a lot of the better players I am used to seeing from the LA area tournaments started showing up. Met a dude, Armen, who was also in both slaughter lines. Cool dude, too. Also saw some girl who usually wins her divisions from what I can tell. (Galles?)

Class went as such:

I. Jogging/stretching
II. 5 rounds of newaza
III. 5 sets of 20 uchi-komi per person.
IV. 5 rounds of randori

And that was it; that's how I like it.

10/10/12 1:33 AM
Seong gyeong
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Also, did randori with Takahashi. Needless to say, he whooped my ass. Can't remember ever being launched into orbit like that. And I knew he would uchi-mata me, but I couldn't do anything about it. Really had a good time and the club didn't seem to have quite the merciless atmosphere I had heard about....then again, it seemed to be light attendance for that day. Either way, check it out if you're in LA.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.