UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> My Grapplers Guide experience/GG 2.0

3/26/12 7:10 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
sufferingsuckatash
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

dang man blackmonkey that sucks, definitely understand what youre saying and its funny  that this came up as the last couple weeks I had been deciding where to spend my monies and gg was one of the options. however seeing this business in motion i think i just narrowed my choices down a bit.

good luck to scully with your future endeavors (ask for this thread to be deleted before you lose any more business as this is not a good look imo, or edit some of that stuff up there--- but i know you seem to be a good guy by your posting on this board-- which originally factored gg in to my list, so as i said the best to you)

"blood in blood out----- FOR LIFE"
3/26/12 7:57 AM
henno
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I signed up for GG nearly five years back, around the time I started training. I've got to give the site credit for helping me pick things up pretty quick and progressing well for an OG. I paid a fairly small sum to sign up for lifetime membership. It did seem kind of surprising to have ongoing access to a great site for a small one-off payment.

With such a friendly and co-operative environment, I did become a regular participant/contributor and got even more out of the site. When there was an announcement about the upcoming changes/improvements 2.0 addition, I was relieved to know that I would still have access to the material on the site I had joined.

While I didn't expect it, I was pleasantly surprised to be upgraded for free. I'm assuming it was due to my regular participation.

Considering the massive expansion that Jason has added to the site with the 2.0 upgrade, I don't think that it it is unreasonable for Jason to take the line he has. He may not have the profile of Marcelo or Drac, but he is a fantastic instructor and has grown an amazing grappling resource and community. Not everyone will agree with his approach regarding original GG life members and the upgrade to 2.0, but I think he's been transparent.

To anyone thinking of joining the GG, I would be extremely surprised if you were disappointed.
3/26/12 8:32 AM
vegard
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

it's funny that jason doesn't want lurkers and non-participants around because I get spam emails all the time saying the grappler's guide misses me.

blackmonkey, it sounds like you are fortunate he took your money the first time around.
3/26/12 9:30 AM
blackmonkey

vegard - it's funny that jason doesn't want lurkers and non-participants around because I get spam emails all the time saying the grappler's guide misses me.

blackmonkey, it sounds like you are fortunate he took your money the first time around.

I Know right- Act like something's ultra exclusive when nothing could be further from the truth- Hurry now only 3 spots left everybody!!

before I open up again next month when just a few new spots become available. Methinks Scully has been hanging out with Bear Shoyoroll at some LI seminars..
3/26/12 9:30 AM
blackmonkey

Edited: 03/26/12 9:35 AM
Double
3/26/12 3:44 PM
jimmybjj
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'd like a refund on my lifetime membership Jason, or should I say limited lifetime membership. i am just a "lurker" as well and when I joined there wasn't any caveats implied or written that indicated I needed to jump through certain hoops to maintain my membership.

Typically groups offer lifetime memberships to initial customers to get things off the ground. As a reward for helping you get your start you get to take full advantage of all future happenings. It's seems to me like you took full advantage of funds provided by the "less worthy" lifetime members and decided to share your success only with your favorite members. Disappointing to say the least. Phone Post
3/26/12 4:49 PM
demandango
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

what is he had called his new project something else instead of grapplers guide 2.0? and changed the url? i don't understand how you could think you have rights to everything he does in the future online at no further cost. you still have the exact same membership you paid for which i assume would continue for the life of the site.
3/26/12 4:52 PM
jasculs
175 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Guaranteed Grappling Improvement!, Click Here For More!
demandango - what is he had called his new project something else instead of grapplers guide 2.0? and changed the url? i don't understand how you could think you have rights to everything he does in the future online at no further cost. you still have the exact same membership you paid for which i assume would continue for the life of the site.

3/26/12 5:27 PM
T-Ham
299 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't have a dog in this fight but i'm a big fan of the videos Jason has posted here, and tbh I have incorporated a few techniques he has shown.

3/26/12 5:27 PM
jimmybjj
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/26/12 5:29 PM
demandango - what is he had called his new project something else instead of grapplers guide 2.0? and changed the url? i don't understand how you could think you have rights to everything he does in the future online at no further cost. you still have the exact same membership you paid for which i assume would continue for the life of the site.

It doesn't matter it he added a number after the title the fact remains that it is still the grapplers guide. Same url. I paid for a Premium lifetime membership to the grapplers guide, without caveats, without restrictions. What i paid for wasn't advertised as a "Limited Lifetime Membership" If he wanted to impose restrictions he should have advertised his product as such.
3/26/12 5:38 PM
jasculs
175 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/26/12 5:41 PM
jimmybjj - 

It doesn't matter it he added a number after the title the fact remains that it is still the grapplers guide. Same url. I paid for a Premium lifetime membership to the grapplers guide, without caveats, without restrictions. What i paid for wasn't advertised as a "Limited Lifetime Membership" If he wanted to impose restrictions he should have advertised his product as such.

I sent you a pm on here.  Also once again, when you also signed up 4 years ago as well, I listed every single thing that you would get and you still get that and you get more then what it was.  I never stated you were entitled to anything extra, I never stated there would not be additoinal features you would have to pay for.

You still get what you have paid for i will reiterate that I did not take anything away from you.  If people honestly think that I should not charge extra in which I gave a BIG discount to current lifetime members if they wanted to take it but many did not and now I don't offer it anymore then I don't know what to tell you.

I can not please everyone and I will not try to.

You get what you have paid for and I give what you have paid for. I could also give the argument that I never said it was an "unlimited" lifetime membership.

I can not giving this 2.0 stuff away without an extra cost, I would ruin my own site if I did:

- Live webinars (where I schedule a time to talk with the members as a group LIVE on my own time to help them and discuss with them and brainstorm with them)
- Personal e-mail support.  I personally help people with their problems on and off the mat.  It talk to them one on one outside of GG
- One on one Skype and and phone consultation - I help them game plan, talk about problems they are having LIVE as a person to them to help them.
- Competition and training critiques - I spend hours upon hours watching video that people post in the critique section and I break it down for them.  I point out issues.  I give tips. I create videos just for them.
- Assignments - I keep people accountable for their training. I check in with them. I make sure they are improving. I genuinely want to help them.
- Interviews - I will be going out of my way to make appointments with people and other experts to provide training feedback and tips. Meeting them, calling them, setting appointments, chatting with them.
- 50% off of all my products physical (this costs me a lot of money in itself). Discounts on all my DVDs I create, books, etc..
- Group Game Planning - where I work with everyone who participates as a group to clean up their game plan and I provide One on One consultations with them.
- Exclusive Short but Sweet Reference videos that are for GG 2.0 members and no one else.  These take me a lot of planning, time creating, time filming, time editing, etc.. and these where not offered during any lifetime offer.

Once again, you get EVERYTHIG YOU PAID FOR 4 YEARS AGO AND MORE THEN IT WAS IN THE PAST.

Thanks for your time,
Jason

3/26/12 6:04 PM
SleepBomb

well, there is only one way to settle this. both of you have to be my butler for a week.
3/26/12 6:54 PM
blackmonkey

jasculs - 
jimmybjj - 

I sent you a pm on here.  Also once again, when you also signed up 4 years ago as well, I listed every single thing that you would get and you still get that and you get more then what it was.  I never stated you were entitled to anything extra, I never stated there would not be additoinal features you would have to pay for.

You still get what you have paid for i will reiterate that I did not take anything away from you.  If people honestly think that I should not charge extra in which I gave a BIG discount to current lifetime members if they wanted to take it but many did not and now I don't offer it anymore then I don't know what to tell you.

I can not please everyone and I will not try to.

You get what you have paid for and I give what you have paid for. I could also give the argument that I never said it was an "unlimited" lifetime membership.

I can not giving this 2.0 stuff away without an extra cost, I would ruin my own site if I did:

- Live webinars (where I schedule a time to talk with the members as a group LIVE on my own time to help them and discuss with them and brainstorm with them)
- Personal e-mail support.  I personally help people with their problems on and off the mat.  It talk to them one on one outside of GG
- One on one Skype and and phone consultation - I help them game plan, talk about problems they are having LIVE as a person to them to help them.
- Competition and training critiques - I spend hours upon hours watching video that people post in the critique section and I break it down for them.  I point out issues.  I give tips. I create videos just for them.
- Assignments - I keep people accountable for their training. I check in with them. I make sure they are improving. I genuinely want to help them.
- Interviews - I will be going out of my way to make appointments with people and other experts to provide training feedback and tips. Meeting them, calling them, setting appointments, chatting with them.
- 50% off of all my products physical (this costs me a lot of money in itself). Discounts on all my DVDs I create, books, etc..
- Group Game Planning - where I work with everyone who participates as a group to clean up their game plan and I provide One on One consultations with them.
- Exclusive Short but Sweet Reference videos that are for GG 2.0 members and no one else.  These take me a lot of planning, time creating, time filming, time editing, etc.. and these where not offered during any lifetime offer.

Once again, you get EVERYTHIG YOU PAID FOR 4 YEARS AGO AND MORE THEN IT WAS IN THE PAST.

Thanks for your time,
Jason

You chiming in once again there J ? I thought you'd washed your hands of this little matter...

@demandango--If he'd started another website this thread wouldn't exist-but what he actually did was cut of people who bought premium lifetime memberships to his site from material that by any stretch of the imagination should be covered by the original membership such as technique videos and links to useful you-tube clips and then aim to charge a monthly fee for them. He then automatically promoted a bunch of regular posters so the average 1.0 member is like "look at all these people signing up for 2.0, I better too hurr-derr" --Am I leaving anything out here bro ?

What he should have done was continue improving the site--made the one-to-one stuff a bonus for signing up now and everything else available to everyone.
Anyone can see from his posts he regrets giving the lifetime memberships and blatantly looked for a way to put the squeeze on these lurkers who signed up 4 years ago for only $87
3/26/12 9:31 PM
Empire
162 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

only one sure fire way to kill a thread. it must be cazwell'd.

3/28/12 12:25 AM
Kneeblock
173 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

@the OP, you got your pound of flesh.

@Jason, I think you could've simplified this whole thing by saying, "In the beginning I just wanted people to participate. Now I want to do more, so it costs more." All this exclusivity and lurkers suck talk is counter-productive.
1/8/13 6:12 PM
jasculs

Snapple - 

So what does everyone think of the new site?  Worth Joining?  Looks interesting!   Love to hear some positive feedback on it and peoples experience.  Thinking of checking it out but don't feel like taking the plugne until I have heard from other peoples experiences. 

Hey Snapple,

The site actually isn't extremely new lol...it's been around since 2007. 

Also there isn't any memberships being taken right now...I open a sporadically. Because I'm working on some things for 2013.

My updates have been slow the past couple of months but the community is very strong.

By the end of the week I'm going to have my udate schedule revamped with more people on board.  A couple of them are black belts who are definitely respected in this community.

Also going to be adding a wrestling section with one of my students who is a form all american wrestler and has coaching experience for years.

So right now hold off...cause you have to and then I'll keep you posted if you want.

Jason

1/9/13 12:38 AM
SBJJSean
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I also bought a gg lifetime membership and was disappointed with the 2.0 creation. I would have thought buying the lifetime membership got me in on that but that wasn't the case. At first I was pissed off and going to write an email complaining about it but never got around to it.

Even though it sucks I can see Jason's point. If he is offering all that personalized attention he can't just give it to everyone that was already a member, he just wouldn't have the time. However, as someone else on here said it should have been created as another site and maybe just advertised on the gg. It really sucks when your clicking around and you click on something thats only for 2.0 members. Even though you are getting the original content you are constantly being shown that you aren't getting it all and that your premium lifetime membership is now second rate. To be honest I kinda stopped using my 1.0 membership because of the 2.0 creation.

Either way Jason puts out a lot of good content and I still value my gg 1.0 membership and feel I have gotten more than my money's worth. I haven't used it much lately but I would never ask for a refund. Jason puts out a lot of great material and his quick videos like 10,000 guard attacks in 30 seconds or whatever it is are great to watch when your looking for ideas on new things to try.

So yes I felt burnt on the gg2.0 creation but really can you argue that you didn't get your 80 dollars worth of material out of that site in 4 years? If you didn't you weren't using it. His game plan sheets, drilling sheets, and competition footage analysis are great. Also he has a section where he breaks down all the basic things you should be doing from each position which is always great to go back and look at even though its very basic.

I lurked, I wasn't upgraded, and it sucked. GG 1.0 was still worth what I paid and more.
1/9/13 12:12 PM
Rival School

He shuts down enrollment I'd say to manage the amount of people in the community. He's only one guy and providing a lot for those people. Phone Post
1/9/13 12:59 PM
jasculs

Snapple -
Rival School -  He shuts down enrollment I'd say to manage the amount of people in the community. He's only one guy and providing a lot for those people. Phone Post

Yeah I know why he does it.  I reread what I wrote write now and I wasn't clear with my writings with what I was thinking ot trying to say.   I wanted to know if the GG 2.0 was just only closed until the updates to it are done and then re-opened back up for the public to register?  

I open it back up when I know I can handle more members...If I think I can't handle it then I keep it closed.

I have some people jumping on board to help with content and other things so it'll free me up a bit. Phone Post
4/16/13 11:01 PM
slondeau
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i joined gg last yrar and hve found it to be very helpful. i need to participate more, and i am sure i will get more out  of it. the assignmentsbarr very cool!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.