UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Shamrock explains 'infamous cut'

3/24/12 10:57 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1062 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

"We never got an opportunity to straighten that out, but it wasn't like it wasn't going to get straightened out," he said.

Asked if he would have fought had it not been straightened out, Shamrock didn't need to hear the entire question.

"Absolutely," he said.

Some of the rumors came from people inside the company, lending credence to what was said. But Shamrock said that was a byproduct of the anger from many because the fight wasn't happening.

"I was upset, obviously," he said. "It’s Kimbo Slice, for God's sakes. How hard is that going to be? And that’s exactly what I said. I said, ‘It ain’t going to take long. He’s going to go to the ground and the fight’s over.' Basically that was my case to them, but they came back and said it wasn’t going to happen."

Shamrock said that in the aftermath, he was surprised with the blowback he was receiving, and the accusations that were flying his way, as if the previous years of his career suddenly counted for nothing.

The entirety of the situation made it difficult to digest.

"I don't understand some of the comments that were made," he said. "I mean, who am I? Who is this Ken Shamrock, all of the sudden that cut himself? Who is this guy who went into the ring fearless for 13, 15, 20 years, would fight anybody... all of the sudden he's changed?"

read entire article...

3/24/12 11:21 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Masakatsu Funaki
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"I think Ken cut himself. It goes back to his giant ego and not being smart enough to understand the rest of the business. I think he got upset because Kimbo was making twice as much as he was and I don’t think his ego could take it. I know for a fact that he tried to hold the network up for more money the day before the show and unfortunately his parting words were, "Well, then you never know what will happen because anything can happen." Then when he showed up with the cut we all thought he juiced himself. You know, he’s not to be trusted ... a real fighter would have superglued it and put makeup on it and been and would have been out there fighting. Which (is something) I have done and many fighters have done many times ... I have no idea what he’s doing. I just hope when he’s finished destroying himself that he has something left to live by."

- Frank Shamrock Phone Post
3/25/12 1:09 AM
Tru
103 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMAPrime.TV, Host
I don't want to get sued for saying 100 percent he did, but allegedly and according to multiple first hand accounts from people formerly part of or insiders into his camp have said he cut himself.

i heard a few versions.  1 version is that ken had a garuntee of like 2-2.5 million for a cbs reality style show win or lose after the fight.  By cutting himself, he lost the tv deal and his inside circle lost their cuts too.

Also, rumor he was using steroids and realized he wasn;t going to pass a post fight test and cut himself because of that.  (ken did test positive shortly after against the guy who cornered dan quinn before)

i consider ken a legend and grew up loving his fights since tournament ufc days, but call a spade a spade.  If his own circle says he cut himself, I believe he cut himself.  Apparently he called a member of his camp and said im going to cut myself, his circle begged him not to do it and 10 mins later it was announced he got cut warming up.  a very clean razor like slice above the eye brow.

Everything i wrote above is 100 percent alleged stories and not from ken;s mouth, so take it for what you want.  I'm sure many of us have already heard these stories.

3/25/12 1:35 AM
Funaki Masakatsu #1
167 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tru - I don't want to get sued for saying 100 percent he did, but allegedly and according to multiple first hand accounts from people formerly part of or insiders into his camp have said he cut himself.

i heard a few versions.  1 version is that ken had a garuntee of like 2-2.5 million for a cbs reality style show win or lose after the fight.  By cutting himself, he lost the tv deal and his inside circle lost their cuts too.

Also, rumor he was using steroids and realized he wasn;t going to pass a post fight test and cut himself because of that.  (ken did test positive shortly after against the guy who cornered dan quinn before)

i consider ken a legend and grew up loving his fights since tournament ufc days, but call a spade a spade.  If his own circle says he cut himself, I believe he cut himself.  Apparently he called a member of his camp and said im going to cut myself, his circle begged him not to do it and 10 mins later it was announced he got cut warming up.  a very clean razor like slice above the eye brow.

Everything i wrote above is 100 percent alleged stories and not from ken;s mouth, so take it for what you want.  I'm sure many of us have already heard these stories.

lol, so Ken, who is reportedly struggling for cash, deliberately cuts himself and loses his large purse against Kimbo AND a 2 million dollar CBS check for a reality show? How does that make ANY sense at all? What in the world does Ken have to gain by cutting himself?

Plus, did you see Ken's physique against Kimbo? He looked like a deflated balloon. There is NO WAY he was on steroids for that fight. He was scrawny and looked horrible, and weighed in at 206 lbs for a HW fight with a shirt, pants and flip flops on. When he pissed hot for roids a year later he was 225 lbs and extremely muscular.

The bottom line is that there is no logical reason, no incentive whatsoever for Ken to cut himself and not only lose out on a gigantic payday but lose out on a way to "revive" his career with a main event win over a guy like Kimbo who at the time had a ridiculous amount of hype around him that the casual fans ate up. Phone Post
3/25/12 1:41 AM
da Vinci 81
136 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That whole night spawned a shady chain of events. If Ken's plan was to screw over EliteXC he ended up doing a far better job of it than he ever could have imagined.
3/25/12 1:45 AM
I No Kung Foo
162 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

How can a guy named Shamrock be so unlucky?
3/25/12 1:47 AM
Funaki Masakatsu #1
167 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The only logical argument anybody can possibly make for Ken cutting himself is that he was scared to fight Kimbo and backed out at the last minute, which I find next to impossible. Ken has been fearless his entire career and fought super tough guys like Don Frye who were 1000 times more skilled than someone like Kimbo, who has zero wrestling and zero submission skill.

Besides, even if you want to say Ken was scared or whatever (which I put at 0% chance this is true) why wouldn't he just take a dive and collect the paycheck, considering he needed the money? It sure looked like he took a dive against Buzz Berry (for whatever reason) so it wasn't like he would be against doing this. Phone Post
3/25/12 2:51 AM
Seraldo Babalu
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ken should've cut himself before the Pedro Rizzo fight. That was hard to watch.
3/25/12 3:27 AM
onepunchJD
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

LOL..

Ken didn't fucking cut himself.

Funaki already pointed out how little sense that would make.

That whole situation pisses me off. I'm pretty damn sure Ken was going to beat Kimbo that night. He needed the high profile win. Ken was more pissed than anybody.

And Frank is an ass for saying that shit. I realize he and Ken had a falling out. But those statements were just too much. He actually said "shame on you Ken", during the broadcast!

Ken Shamrock, even the old broken down version, is not afraid to fight any man. That dude seriously don't give a fuck. For better or worse, Ken has some of the biggest balls of any fighter I have followed.

Rumors are like that game "telephone" we palyed in grade school. One person says something.. and the truth gets lost along the way.
3/25/12 5:43 AM
Jaybrone
375 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't know if Ken cut himself. I wont say yes or no but there are arguments that make sense in both directions. And Ken has never been the msot intelligent and rational man in the world.
3/25/12 6:44 AM
Tru
103 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMAPrime.TV, Host

I didn't know Shamrocks kids were on the UG.

lol

in his prime, nobody denies that ken was the man.  He was awesome.  Worlds most dangerous man.  I hope hdidn't cut himself and it was a random accident. Was he afraid of the post fight test?

p.s. 4 months after the kimbo fight
Win 27–13–2 Ross Clifton Submission (armbar) WarGods: Valentine's Eve Massacre February 13, 2009 1 1:00 FresnoU.S. Shamrock tested positive for steroids after fight.[93]

3/25/12 7:09 AM
noisebully
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

shamrock has grown on me for the past few years. he used to show signs of stupidity by acting retarded and doing stupid shit but anytime i see him nowadays, he seems very articulate and mature. like someone mentioned on another recent interview of his, you barely hear any Umm's or Uhh's when he answers questions etc.

so point being, whatever the reasons were for the cut and the fight not happening, he seems to be cool nowadays.
3/25/12 7:29 AM
frontrowbrian

Edited: 03/25/12 7:34 AM

3/25/12 1:15 PM
EckY
55 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If Ken retired back when Bas did, people would have a very different view of him, bit of ashame, the guy is a legend.
3/25/12 1:39 PM
ranier wolfcastle
862 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

maybe zuffa paid him to ruin the main event and thus ruin elite xc?
i cant think of any other logical reason he'd cut himself and lose all that $$$$
3/25/12 1:49 PM
Sierra Nevada

My older brother went to high school with Ken Shamrock. I was born in 75. My older brother is 12 years older than me.

Funny fact:

In a Susanville bar (back in like 1990), somebody was talking shit to Ken Shamrock.

My brother went over to the guy who was talking shit, and said " Do you know who that is? No? That is Ken Shamrock, and he will beat the fuck out of you! Lay off!"

The guy looked at my brother, and thought better than he had been thinking. My brother was 6' tall and about 230 lbs.

My brother always said not to mess with Ken Shamrock. Funny, because no one messed with my family.
3/25/12 2:06 PM
supersaiyan

4 years ago called and SHAmmy apparently still wants the kimbo fight lol...

Kimbo is a legend without even trying... i hope they make a stand up fight for them ...would love to see it :)
3/25/12 2:07 PM
supersaiyan

Seth Petruzelli is probably laughing at this thread that he "beat" Kimbo before SHammy as well lol
3/25/12 2:41 PM
G-Hands
42 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I was backstage that day, with the execs & was right there when Shammy arrived to the arena.

I do believe he cut himself. It was a very clean cut, and he had already been to the doc which made it impossible for him to fight. And yes, he did try to hold the company up for more money the prior day.

Very disappointing.

3/25/12 2:57 PM
AJDavis
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I still remember that night. I was back stage, I didn't have anyone on that card, but I had been asked if I would translate for Cyborg. I saw the whole thing unfold right in front of my eyes. I saw Ken and the commissioners and you could tell something was up. I went up JD to ask what was happening, as he is telling me, I see Jeremy Lappen come down the hall way saying : So and so, find Seth, bring him here!!! I looked at JD, and I asked him : You arent going to put Seth against Kimbo? Seth is going to rape him!! Jd kind of shrugged: Its that, or return all the tickets and revenue.
Little did I know that would be the end of that show! Pity, we were making nice $!
3/25/12 3:26 PM
onepunchJD
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TheSkywalker - 
Funaki Masakatsu #1 - The only logical argument anybody can possibly make for Ken cutting himself is that he was scared to fight Kimbo and backed out at the last minute, which I find next to impossible. Ken has been fearless his entire career and fought super tough guys like Don Frye who were 1000 times more skilled than someone like Kimbo, who has zero wrestling and zero submission skill.

Besides, even if you want to say Ken was scared or whatever (which I put at 0% chance this is true) why wouldn't he just take a dive and collect the paycheck, considering he needed the money? It sure looked like he took a dive against Buzz Berry (for whatever reason) so it wasn't like he would be against doing this. Phone Post

onepunchJD - LOL..

Ken didn't fucking cut himself.

Funaki already pointed out how little sense that would make.

That whole situation pisses me off. I'm pretty damn sure Ken was going to beat Kimbo that night. He needed the high profile win. Ken was more pissed than anybody.

And Frank is an ass for saying that shit. I realize he and Ken had a falling out. But those statements were just too much. He actually said "shame on you Ken", during the broadcast!

Ken Shamrock, even the old broken down version, is not afraid to fight any man. That dude seriously don't give a fuck. For better or worse, Ken has some of the biggest balls of any fighter I have followed.

I didn't know Shamrocks kids were on the UG.

Actually.. we are just pointing out the most logical arguments.

All you guys on here saying you think Ken cut himself are just plain silly.

Even the guys who say they were there that night.. or "know" LD fighters... LOL.

None of that means shit.

The whole "clean cut" argument doesn't hold weight either. There have been plenty of clean looking cuts from fights and training.

One little rumor gets started, somebody talks some shit, and suddenly every ignorant bandwagon jumping MMA "fan" is all over it.. spreading the rumor even further.

The bottom line is, they should have let Ken fight. Period. There is absolutly no argument here, there is no other valid issues. They should have let Ken fight, they didn't, and Ken was more pissed about it than anybody.

In that interview, Ken said he had it double stiched. He was good to go. There is ZERO reason to not have a fight based on a cut like that. If it opens up during the fight.. thats one thing. But thats any fight.. and it's not like it was some huge gash that would have been dangerous. It was a small cut, that might very well have stayed closed with no issues. But of course we will never know.. because there are bigger assholes behind the scenes than what people try to paint Ken as being.

Seems to me that somebody was trying to protect the Kimbo cash cow.. and Seth ruined it.

So why doesn't somebosy interview Dan Freeman?

People tend to assume the worst, and it's sad. Sometimes shit just happens.
3/25/12 3:37 PM
onepunchJD

mrantistupiditay - "lol, so Ken, who is reportedly struggling for cash, deliberately cuts himself and loses his large purse against Kimbo AND a 2 million dollar CBS check for a reality show? How does that make ANY sense at all? What in the world does Ken have to gain by cutting himself?"

Ken is not very bright. Either are you.

Ken is one of the smarter more well spoken fighters out there.

Where do you get off saying he is not very bright?

So basically, you know some people whi trained under Ken, and they have problems with him. So because of that, you don't like him?

What about all the people who have great things to say about Ken, and continue to support him?

Well.. their opinions must not count, because You don't know those guys.. right?

Thats fine.. I get it.

But pretty much every type of celebrity personality, wether it's athletes, actors, or whatever.. will have people that love them, and people that hate them.

Ken seems to have a strong personality, so it's no surprise he rubs some people the wrong way.

But to just come out and say he's not very bright, from the safety of behind a keyboard... Well that doesn't paint you in the best light either.
3/25/12 3:38 PM
onepunchJD

Mix6APlix - Maybe Ken forgets he got KOd by fucking Saku. If Kimbo connected it would be over. Phone Post

LOL.. No he didn't.

That was one of the worst stoppages ever.
3/25/12 3:41 PM
Funaki Masakatsu #1

Again, if you guys are so convinced Ken cut himself, offer reasons WHY Ken cut himself. What incentive does Ken have? What does he possibly have to gain? Now compare this to what he had to lose (gigantic purse when he needed money, opportunity to get high profile win on CBS in main event against fighter with massive hype amongst casual fans). Plus if Ken cuts himself he is blackballed from the second largest MMA promotion at the time under the UFC so he loses out on future employment and risks never fighting again in a high profile fight.

It makes no fucking sense. Instead of parroting "lolz u guys related to Ken lolz" how about you give us a logical response? Phone Post
3/25/12 4:49 PM
Authority Figure

TheSkywalker - Ken just needs to stop already.

If only you were strong enough and tough enough to make him stop. But since you're not strong enough, tough enough or relevant enough - I guess this is one legend who is going to keep on talking.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.