UnderGround Forums

SoundGround >> Bass amp question

3/25/12 11:07 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
BubbaRayGracie
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I just bought a bass, and am looking into getting an amp. I like what I'm hearing about this Vox 10 watt amp from the URL below, but am wondering about the volume...

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Vox-Pathfinder-10W-Bass-Combo-Amp-423495-i1513005.gc

I mainly plan to jam by myself, would like to occasionally jam with another person or two, and maybe some day play in a small club setting if i got a band together. Is something like this likely loud enough for the last one? Do small clubs generally let you line out to their PA if you need it if you're in some scrappy little band/there for a jam session?

I have a 20 watt guitar amp that I rarely turn above 2 or 3, and was able to play with a full band in a decent sized hall without turning all the way up, so I'm curious about the 10 watt bass amp...

Thanks in advance for any input!
3/30/12 6:48 PM
BarkLikeADog
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bass frequencies take a lot of power to move. You aren't going to hear yourself over a standard acoustic drum kit at 10W; that's just for practicing.

Yes most clubs prefer to take bass direct vs micing your amp.
3/31/12 5:27 AM
wolfdeth
178 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You need 3x the power of a guitar amp for a bass amp..

100 watt guitar amp..300 watt bass amp minimum..Bass needs more power to move sound and hear over the other instruments.
4/29/12 7:00 PM
asbury
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

good for bedroom practice. you can even close mic it and get a nice tone recorded. however imo you should be able to feel your bass amp at least a little. while looking for a higher wattage amp would be smart, remember wattage isn't the sole indicator of how loud the amp will actually be. you also need to look into decibels. i have a 60w bass combo, 12", that does the job for me.
5/2/12 11:43 AM
Racer X
54 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

A 60W bass amp would be minimal for jamming if there is a drummer involved. Acoustic drums are what change the whole volume issue. Unlike guitarists, Bassists need CLEAN power at whatever level they require. Breakup in the power section is OK/desireable for a guitarist, for a bass player, headroom is king. 

The other option is a small bass amp with line level output (which that Vox Pathfinder has) that can be run to a PA system when jamming with other people. I've done garage/small home studio jams with a Line6 Bass POD run direct to the PA. 

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.