UnderGround Forums

SurvivalGround >> Large survival knife thoughts?

3/25/12 1:08 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Fudge Cake
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've been contemplating getting a large uber-sized knife to use on my next backpacking/camping/portaging trip. Something like the ESEE Junglas...because I love pronouncing it "hoonglas" LOL.

I've only ever used an ax and saw up to this point for wood processing and smashing through ice. Just wanted to get some experience with a different tool and have thought about those scenarios where I can only bring one thing with me...would I take an ax or knife?

But I'm a bit concerned that sometimes one of my friends brings his kids on the less extreme trips and while I didn't think of it before, a female friend of mine said bringing a large knife like that was like bringing a loaded gun with me (we're in Canada).

Any thoughts?
3/26/12 5:19 PM
TheHouse
213 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://www.gerbergear.com/Apocalypse/Gear/Survival-Series-Parang_31-000698

http://www.gerbergear.com/Apocalypse/Gear/Gator-Machete_31-000758

http://www.gerbergear.com/Apocalypse/Gear/Gator-Machete-Pro_31-000705

This should get the nightmares going.
3/28/12 1:12 PM
LeroyJ
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Basic rule of thumb:

Jungle - small sharp knife + machete or similar

Hardwood forest (arboreal) - small sharp knife + axe or hatchet

Many people like the idea of a large, hefty knife for chopping purposes. However, most woodsmen preach the idea of having a good sharp knife for articulated carving. You can do many chopping type actions with a smaller knife if you know how.

However, with an axe, you can tackle the much more heavy duty stuff, and take a lot less time doing it.
4/1/12 5:54 PM
johnnypayne
57 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Get yourself a good smatchet
5/22/12 3:08 AM
Loiosh
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If you are in true wilderness, and not a heavily trafficked camping area, there should be lots of easily accessible deadwood. In these places, a solid 6-8" fixed blade with a full tang should be all you need.

When in a true survival situation, you should eliminate as much risky behavior as possible, and an axe or hatchet are dangerous.

Longer logs can be broken into more easily usable pieces by wedging them between two close together trees and snapping them off. This is safer than placing a log over another log and jumping or stomping on them.

Kindling can be easily obtained by batoning with your fixed blade. Find a 2 to 3 foot chunk of wood 2-3 inches thick, preferably green, and use it to strike the back of your knife and drive it down into the shortened chunks of wood you obtained in the previous step. This method will allow you to split wood into easily burnable pieces.

If you insist on something for working with bigger, thicker wood, look into a small or collapsible saw. It's safer and quieter.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.