UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Parisyan opens up on career struggles

3/25/12 8:49 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
914 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

If he was 35 and at the end of his rope, maybe. But not at 29. Not now, Parisyan said.

"I still have much more to prove, much more to give. It’s like, I got to the top. I was the number one contender. I did a lot of stuff in the sport, but nothing where I could say, yeah, I could retire today. ... One my reasons -- and you’re going to say this is a stupid reason, Karo, but to me it’s a big reason -- but one of the reasons I want to come back is to shut people up. To shut a lot of fricking people up."

And the pain meds? He’s not on those anymore, not that he ever thought he had a genuine problem with them. What he had was searing pain in the back of his thigh, where a chunk of muscle is missing, he said. What he had was the constant sensation of being stabbed in the leg. He didn’t have a problem with pain pills.

"For the record, I was never addicted to pain meds. I abused pain medications without knowing. When it hurt me, it was too late already. I had done too much damage to myself, mentally and physically."

Before the fight with Dong Hyun Kim, he popped a few the morning of the fight, he said. And before his fight with Thiago Alves, he pushed through the crippling panic and anxiety that would later force him to pull out of his UFC 106 fight with Dustin Hazelett.

"Anxiety will be there. Anxiety you can control. The physical panic attack is the one that hits and brings you to your knees. And whoever’s had a panic attack, I want them to, for a second, realize that when they were having a panic attack, the worst one, when they thought they were going to die, I had to walk out in front of 20,000 people and fight. When my friends were pushing me, [saying] ‘Get out there, Karo. Thiago Alves is waiting in the cage. You’ve got to go fight.’ I did that."

read entire article...

3/25/12 8:54 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Immaculata
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TITAN Combat/TITAN Grappling Open, Promoter
Always a fan, bro.
3/25/12 8:56 PM
Kirik
1367 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Underground, Mayor for Life
 I hope he beats his demons. Fighting or not is not super relevant compared to that.
3/25/12 8:58 PM
Outlaw'd by Lytle
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hope he goes on a streak. Phone Post
3/25/12 9:03 PM
Chris
345 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, COO
 I can't believe he's only 29. Plenty of time to make a serious run at it again.
3/25/12 9:09 PM
Devereaux

Edited: 03/25/12 9:12 PM
Karo needs to focus on getting better mentally and physically right now. See a sports psychologist. A regular psychiatrist as well. He needs surgery/rehab for his injuries and stop the pain pills. Pain pills don't fix the problem. They just hide them temporarily.
3/25/12 9:10 PM
Devereaux

Edited: 03/25/12 9:12 PM
Also I recommend a shroom trip, some edibles experience, ayahausca, perhaps even some ibogaine.
3/25/12 9:13 PM
Kingofny23
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Always root for Karo, hopefully he he has gotten past his issues and can get another run. Would love to see him have a shot in Strikeforce.

Do you know who he is bro?

I do and I'm a fan Phone Post
3/25/12 9:22 PM
HardHittingHeeb

He has given us some of the best highlights in the sport*. Plus I've seen him exhausted out there, but have never seen him back down.

If you don't root for Karo you are a fucking bitch.

*Besides the Spike promo of him losing his tooth, and the classic standoff with Nate.
3/25/12 9:49 PM
YouCantHandleMyRiddum
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Anyone else read the quote with Karo's voice and added a few "bro" here and there?
3/25/12 10:47 PM
Smith1234
41 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

When he was "#1 contender" and didn't get the shot, I don't think anyone cared. All I'm saying is he was never really ranked #2.

And Diego blew his doors off in that fight. In hindsight we can all agree to that. But he did have a couple brief throws that had some of the UG thinking he won.
3/25/12 11:55 PM
HardHittingHeeb

Smith1234 - When he was "#1 contender" and didn't get the shot, I don't think anyone cared. All I'm saying is he was never really ranked #2.

And Diego blew his doors off in that fight. In hindsight we can all agree to that. But he did have a couple brief throws that had some of the UG thinking he won.

he lost 2-1 and upon rewatching a close fight.
3/25/12 11:56 PM
UGCTT_THE Kevin Chandler
142 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Immaculata - Always a fan, bro.
This, bro. Phone Post
3/25/12 11:59 PM
I No Kung Foo
102 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/26/12 12:02 AM
Kirik -  I hope he beats his demons....

Cecil Peoples scores it 10-8 Parisyan

3/26/12 12:03 AM
Humphrey

Edited: 03/26/12 12:04 AM
holy shit, man this guy is still in denial so bad.

and it's like a broken recortd with karo, over and over and over and over and over again he says things like this, and NONE of the things he claims he'll do happen.

and for the record, I don't think he really had a panic attack from anxiety problems, I think he was having anxiety because of severe opiate withrdrawal. I've seen it first hand.  go look up the effects and they describe exactly what happened.

Anyway, this guy has talked over and over but never really followed it up, and to then start with the 'i was never addicted' crap, is just making it worse. 
3/26/12 12:16 AM
Mike Russell
147 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Humphrey - holy shit, man this guy is still in denial so bad.

and it's like a broken recortd with karo, over and over and over and over and over again he says things like this, and NONE of the things he claims he'll do happen.

and for the record, I don't think he really had a panic attack from anxiety problems, I think he was having anxiety because of severe opiate withrdrawal. I've seen it first hand.  go look up the effects and they describe exactly what happened.

Anyway, this guy has talked over and over but never really followed it up, and to then start with the 'i was never addicted' crap, is just making it worse. 
Have you got a card? I'll see about Karo setting up and appointment with you since you seem to be such a reputable therapist.

3/26/12 12:25 AM
Mike Russell
147 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Life experience? Is that what you call being a knowitall?

I've spoken to Karo about the pills and the issues he was and is going through. Have you and Humphrey ever had a conversation with the man?

If not, what makes you two think you know any better than anyone else about what issues he had, dumbass?
3/26/12 12:30 AM
Mike Russell

UGCTT_Uncle Creepy is the Mother Freakin GOAT - Quick question for mike and daniel: can an addict get clean and still have a drink/smoke or two from time to time?

Quick question for you, since this has turned into a Q&A: Do you know for a fact Karo was "addicted" to pills or did he rely on them to numb the pain enough to train, which thus created a dependency?
3/26/12 12:30 AM
Jaybrone
274 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He has a lot of things he needs to address in his life outside the cage. I truely believe if he can continue to get those things together he can get back to being the Karo that we all want to see. I wish him nothing but the best of luck but ultimately its up to Karo.
3/26/12 12:36 AM
bknumber1
54 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Big Karo fan. Him tossing Sanchez on his head with a hip wheel is still one of my all time fav MMA moments. Phone Post
3/26/12 12:37 AM
Mike Russell

Daniel Carver - 
Mike Russell - 
UGCTT_Uncle Creepy is the Mother Freakin GOAT - Quick question for mike and daniel: can an addict get clean and still have a drink/smoke or two from time to time?

Quick question for you, since this has turned into a Q&A: Do you know for a fact Karo was "addicted" to pills or did he rely on them to numb the pain enough to train, which thus created a dependency?

You're spinning your wheels here, Mike. I've had this very discussion on the OG many, many times. The vast majority of people here don't realize that there is a difference between addiction and dependence.

But...but...but...the guy teaches AA and he can diagnose a guy he's never met by reading a few interviews.

I believe it, though. My father-in-law is a mechanic and he can predict what the pit crew is going to work on every pitstop an F-1 car makes without having ever been close to the car.
3/26/12 12:48 AM
Mike Russell

UGCTT_Uncle Creepy is the Mother Freakin GOAT - Mike...all you need to know in order to figure out if someone is dependant on a substance is how has the substance negatively effected the users life. Opiates fucked karo's life up. No way around it. It doesn't matter if he took 1 pill a day...it still ruined him. Therefore the guy's got a problem.

Where did your pot leaf go? Didn't think it fit in with your whole being a drug and alcohol counsellor deal?
3/26/12 1:12 AM
fryingarmbar
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So we're not talking about Karo anymore? Fuck that noise. I hope Karo finds inner peace, feels his potential fulfilled, and returns to human highlight reel form soon. The logistics of how that happens is irrelevant to me. Phone Post
3/26/12 1:14 AM
Doem

"i abused them without knowing"
"i never had a problem"
i know interviews can misquote people but....

he sounds like somebody with a drug problem.
3/26/12 1:19 AM
Humphrey

Edited: 03/26/12 1:20 AM
Doem - "i abused them without knowing"
"i never had a problem"
i know interviews can misquote people but....

he sounds like somebody with a drug problem.

it's almost embarrassing how obvious it is, yet still people try all this dumb rhetoric to derail the thread and the obvious fact that he's a junky in denial and trying desperately to hide it.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.