UnderGround Forums

Judo/Sambo UnderGround >> I'm a lefty.

3/26/12 4:30 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
mortician
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I constantly attack with tai otoshi with a left handed grip. I landed it in my first match of my last shiai but kept attacking with it and my opponents caught on. What are some other throws to supplement my game? Also, my opponents kept attacking with makkikomi, What is a good counter to that throw?
3/26/12 5:01 PM
judoblackbelt
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm a lefty also and when I was competing it depended if I was fighting a righty or another lefty. VS righty you need to get him to move his front(right foot backwards either by attacking that lead foot with kosoto or ouchi gari (with your left foot)then step in for tai otoshi. VS another lefty I attacked with kosoto to the lead foot(left) (with my right foot) and then stepped in and attacked with Osoto gari. I have seen the world class Japanese players attack with kouchi gari then tai otoshi for left vs left or right vs right but I can't do that.
3/27/12 7:38 PM
judoblackbelt
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

A good setup throw left vs right is saesae to your collar hand (left)side.YOu can accomplish this by moving the opponent in a circle to your left side and then go for saesae or hiza garuma. A favorite setup of mind (left vs right)I forgot to mention is I would go in for uchimata then I would fake uchimata and hit the saesae to my left side.
3/28/12 11:34 AM
owchimata
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What are your other throws?
3/29/12 8:08 PM
JoshuaResnick
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

you dont pick throws based on what anybody else says...you pick them based on what is comfortable and easy for your body to use.

the big thing about being a lefty is that everything is at a different angle. the typical instruction that is given to people is from a RvR situation and for you it will be very different as you really get into learning to randori...

the best thing to do is go find somebody who is an accomplished lefty and spend some time learning...
3/29/12 9:15 PM
mortician
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JoshuaResnick - you dont pick throws based on what anybody else says...you pick them based on what is comfortable and easy for your body to use.

the big thing about being a lefty is that everything is at a different angle. the typical instruction that is given to people is from a RvR situation and for you it will be very different as you really get into learning to randori...

the best thing to do is go find somebody who is an accomplished lefty and spend some time learning...
Most of the throws I've learned are from Dave Garcia and I tend to do similar throws but he's in Hawaii now and a few from Q.

3/30/12 1:28 AM
JoshuaResnick
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

well, Q is aack basswards in a lot of ways, but i dont know if he knows jack-ish about being a lefty.. =)

and, just because you are doing similar throws doesn't mean you do the throws in a similar way...

3/30/12 6:28 AM
judoblackbelt

You are a 100+k fighter so I will give you the best lefty's in that weight group of the past 10-15 years so to speak and you can look them up on youtube to watch their matches.
Russian- Tamerlan Timenov, watch his tomenage.
Japan: A whole bunch:
Yasuhiro Yamashita,Naoya Ogawa,Shinichi Shinohara,Keiji Suzuki,Satoshi Ishii and Yasuyuki Muneta. All the above have won Olympic medals except Muneta (I think).
3/30/12 10:04 PM
mortician

judoblackbelt - You are a 100+k fighter so I will give you the best lefty's in that weight group of the past 10-15 years so to speak and you can look them up on youtube to watch their matches.
Russian- Tamerlan Timenov, watch his tomenage.
Japan: A whole bunch:
Yasuhiro Yamashita,Naoya Ogawa,Shinichi Shinohara,Keiji Suzuki,Satoshi Ishii and Yasuyuki Muneta. All the above have won Olympic medals except Muneta (I think).

Thank you.
3/31/12 5:55 AM
judoblackbelt

Your welcome, I knew that post would get no rebuttals.
4/1/12 10:10 AM
JoshuaResnick

who said i wouldnt have a rebuttal? i was just busy for a few days.

do you think watching a competitive video series from the worlds or olympics is actually going to explain the how/why/theory behind anything to a beginner/intermediate/early advanced player????

hell, beginning lefties could watch me do a million things as a lefty and not pick up on any of the necessary information behind it unless i actually explain it. so, your solution to teaching ippon seionage must be to just have a white belt go and watch Koga???? interesting. how's that worked out for you?

anybody who is a lefty needs to eventually get some level of instruction specifically on being lefty. Many righty's do not, and cannot possibly, understand how different it is.

find a good lefty. get help on your gripping and spend some time doing uchikomi from the 90-degree L-v-R and from the incredibly off-set L-v-L positions. remember that breaking off the opponent's right hand is almost always useless unless you use specific throws from a cross-grip situation.
4/11/12 3:07 AM
mortician

When ever I go for a right handed throw it feels off and very awkward. I need Garcia back here in Michigan to get my ass better at being left handed or a school close that wouldn't mind an outsider in there camp.
4/11/12 7:55 AM
judoblackbelt

You have to join a judo club that has instructors who know how to teach judo. I don't know if your mma gym has that to offer.
4/11/12 3:33 PM
mortician

True. I just don't know of any near me. I would love to learn from Jessey and John but they don't really teach anymore.
4/11/12 9:13 PM
judoblackbelt

If I rememeber correctly Jessie is a lefty and Johnie a righty. You might have to travel locally to find good clubs. The closets club to you that has bigger fellas is Oakland University judo club run by one of our BB Steve Dereadt. YOu can email him and he can give you the dates/times of their workouts. I think they do 4/nights a week. Cost is not very much and it is pay as you go (I think). His email is: Stevendmich@aol.com. Most of the judo participants are in their 20(s)/30(s). I go there once in a while to help teach/workout.
4/12/12 1:03 AM
mortician

judoblackbelt - If I rememeber correctly Jessie is a lefty and Johnie a righty. You might have to travel locally to find good clubs. The closets club to you that has bigger fellas is Oakland University judo club run by one of our BB Steve Dereadt. YOu can email him and he can give you the dates/times of their workouts. I think they do 4/nights a week. Cost is not very much and it is pay as you go (I think). His email is: Stevendmich@aol.com. Most of the judo participants are in their 20(s)/30(s). I go there once in a while to help teach/workout.

Thank you.
4/12/12 1:09 AM
mortician

That's a bit of a drive. I'm looking for somewhere closer to Westland.
4/12/12 8:47 AM
judoblackbelt

There is place in Livonia where judo is taught by Mike Dunn and Ted Tripp. I think the place is called Motor city judo.They are part of All Star Karate.NOt sure what their student base is.

Phone: (734) 513-5127
36123 Plymouth Road Livonia, MI 48150

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.