UnderGround Forums

LegalGround >> Changing License to Inactive Status?

3/26/12 6:52 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
HaMMerHouseFAN
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I am thinking about putting my license into inactive status. I accepted a government position and had to sign a mobility agreement and most likely will not be back in the area for awhile. I can put my license into an inactive status and I would not have to keep up on CLEs or pay the registration fee. All I would have to do is reregister and then complete my CLEs for the bi-annual time frame.

Conversely, I could keep my license active but then I would need to take teh 24 hours of CLEs every two years and pay the fee.

Any benefits from doing one or the other? The only thing I could think of was that there may be a job I want to apply for later that would require having an active law license for a certain amount of time and maybe I should do the second option then. Anyone have any experience with this or have any thoughts?

3/26/12 10:04 PM
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Congrats on the government position.
3/27/12 4:49 PM
HaMMerHouseFAN
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks. I am very excited about it.
3/29/12 5:14 AM
RexKwonDo
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Can you do the CLE's remotely (online)? How much is it?
3/29/12 9:50 AM
salyer36
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What kind of government position, if you don't mind me asking?
3/29/12 6:47 PM
HaMMerHouseFAN

I will be working for one of the alphabet agencies as a special agent. I could do the CLE's online. Not sure how much it is. Probably the same as the regular ones
3/30/12 11:58 AM
Cookie Monster
87 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I am a big fan of being an active and practicing attorney. That status can be useful personally and professionally, IMHO. Even if you don't actively practice law. My two cents
3/30/12 3:41 PM
HaMMerHouseFAN

Cookie Monster - I am a big fan of being an active and practicing attorney. That status can be useful personally and professionally, IMHO. Even if you don't actively practice law. My two cents

Care to elaborate any? I would need to get the rest of my CLEs in this coming month if I want to stay active.
4/4/12 5:40 PM
Cookie Monster
87 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I just find that fewer people want to challenge or fuck with an attorney. Listen, I never play the "I'm a lawyer" card until its absolutely necessary, but there have been several occasions in my personal life where I've made it known to people/businesses who have performed shoddy work or just out and out fucked me, my family, or friends and I have had to correct the problem. This usually occurs when they absolutely refuse to rectify the situation and follow with, "Well, just sue me." Where I usually retort with something like, "Gladly, I'm an attorney. My legal expenses are zero. Are yours? I will take great delight in trying this case. Better get ready." Something like that usually gets them backpeddling.

Right now I am helping a good friend's mom out by rattling a sword at a heating and air company that is fucking her hard. Now that I think of it I'm helping out another single mom who is getting the screws put to her by a contractor. Oh and I'm helping a guy who is getting wrongfully railed by a probation officer.

Sorry for the long post but I very much see the value in being an active member of the bar. However, I can certainly see the benefit of NOT having to deal with all the CLE crap and bar dues and such.
4/4/12 8:07 PM
HaMMerHouseFAN

Thanks for elaborating. I really just don't want to have to keep up with the CLEs. I'm not a member of the bar any more. I will need to work on getting those CLEs in though....
4/13/12 1:55 PM
goku
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i would check your state to see waht the difference in fees is and the requirements to go back active

i have been licensed in two states for like 6-7 years and next year i will go inactive with one of the states because  its like $300 cheaper and easy to go back active
4/13/12 4:03 PM
HaMMerHouseFAN

When I checked, they told me all I had to do was change my status. There would be no more biannual fee and no CLE requirements. When I decide to come back, all I have to do is pay the fee and do the required amount of CLEs. Basically I don't have to do anything once I put my license in an a active status. All I have to do to take it out is pay the fee and make sure I have enough CLEs (I have a little over half done for the Two year requirement. Phone Post
5/9/12 11:44 AM
bjjdna
101 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Congrats on the govt job...I work as an env eng for local govt and have no desire to jump ships at this time. I plan on working for the City for about 3 more yrs...then jump ships and be an env lawyer

I passed the CA bar in July 08...prof resp and moral character are done too...all i have to do is take my oath...but as soon as you do that they send you a bill for $400 and you have the CLEs

I have until April of 2013 to take my oath or I have to retake the bar. I'm going to take my oath in December 2012 so the $400 fee is waived, and I'm immediately filing for inactive status which only costs $115.
5/9/12 4:59 PM
HaMMerHouseFAN

One reason you should do it sooner is so that you have the "years of practice" start to toll. You coulud say that you have been practicing law since '08 and there for would have roughly 4 years in already. Some states require you to have been practicing for 6 years to become a judge or a certain amount of time in order to not have to take the bar in the state. You don't actually have to practice but your license must be active. This is one of the things I learned, so I will be keeping my license active.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.