Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Fox censored my Chael screen name
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Trevor Smith is coming off a loss

Tim Boetsh has lost 2 in a row

Nick Ring is coming off a loss

*Luiz Cane is 1-2 his last 3

Leben has lost 3 in a row

Do we assume all of those except Luiz Cane are going to be released instead of being offered another UFC fight despite being the same age or older than Okami and coming off a loss?

Do we assume if Luiz Cane loses his next fight he will be released?

Or will UFC change the guidlines they cut Yushin for when we are talking about these guys?

Help me understand that Wasa-B.

10/3/13 9:12 PM

Btw, Chael Sonnen is 1-2 his last 3 fights, and is 4 years older than Okami, and in SIX YEARS, Chael has had 2 finishes, that's including his last fight against Shogun(reason for my current screen name).

10/3/13 10:09 PM
Wasa-B
333 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

D, to keep it simple. Yes, Okami should still be in the UFC. Im Japanese. Im sad to see him go. It sucks and it points to the credibility of the UFC. I stopped really worrying about that some time ago however. They have the best fighters and all that but we know it does not operated soley on merit and I will never expect it to.

So to compare Okami to those others, yes, Okami is better than them and again, he should still be in it. But i still know where the UFC is coming from in doing this. Not saying I agree with it.
10/3/13 10:15 PM
Wasa-B
333 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Okami situation really is like Fitch. Although Fitch's recent record before he got cut was worse 1-3 in his last 4 where Okami was 3-1 in his last 4 for comparison's sake or 3-2 in last or 3-3 in last 6 (incl the Jacare, Boetsch, Anderson losses) but he still beat 2 top guys in Belcher and Lombard and was dominating Boetsch until mucking that one up.

But there are boring but solid guys that are gonna take out a lot of up and comers. Everyone knows this. Everyone's talked about this. It sucks. But ive left the idealist long ago. Im not gonna get furious about every little battle. It sucks, its not right but its not the end of the world and Okami himself had to know after his loss to Anderson, losing 2 and never being the most popular or exciting was on chop block risk. He was given plenty of time to grow and sustain a solid UFC career. And he did have a legit long and consistent UFC career.

I was surprised that it happened when it did but i also realized that with 2 losses after Anderson, he wasnt exactly on solid ground either.

So i didnt keep it simple, i rambled but here's my summary:

Its not right, it sucks but its not the end of the world to me.
10/3/13 10:16 PM

Trevor Smith, Chris Leben, and Nick Ring.

Surely Okami makes less than those 3 combined, probably less than 2 of them combined.

I don't understand why UFC doesn't just cut those 3 non top 10 not young middleweights and keep a top 10/top 5 middleweight in Okami.

Looking at it objectively, Leben is exciting, so I understand keeping him if that's what you're aiming for(excitement), but has anyone on these forums ever got excited about Trevor Smith or a Nick Ring fight?

I understand UFC isn't consistent, I understand UFC is about business. That being said, businesswise, it makes no sense.  

End rant/

10/3/13 10:19 PM
Wasa-B

Fox censored my Chael screen name - 

Trevor Smith, Chris Leben, and Nick Ring.

Surely Okami makes less than those 3 combined, probably less than 2 of them combined.

I don't understand why UFC doesn't just cut those 3 non top 10 not young middleweights and keep a top 10/top 5 middleweight in Okami.

Looking at it objectively, Leben is exciting, so I understand keeping him if that's what you're aiming for(excitement), but has anyone on these forums ever got excited about Trevor Smith or a Nick Ring fight?

I understand UFC isn't consistent, I understand UFC is about business. That being said, businesswise, it makes no sense.  

End rant/

It makes business sense because Okami is good enough to take out guys like Belcher and Lombard.
10/3/13 10:20 PM
Wasa-B

Here's a stat i posted in another thread:

Okami had 13 wins in the UFC and 5 finishes. That's a 38% finishing rate. Much higher than im sure most people think.
10/3/13 10:21 PM
Wasa-B

Leben is not only exciting in the kill or be killed mode but he's got ground on UFC fans minds too. When he pissed in that guy's bed, he sealed some fan connections forever. ;p
10/3/13 10:25 PM

Kudos Wasa B. You are the first person I've seen to make sense of it, at least some anyways.

"But there are boring but solid guys that are gonna take out a lot of up and comers."

Still though, looking at everything from both sides objectively, I was about to comment further to your comment but when I see the last 3 words-"up and comers", I still think about my post a few post above with the fighters/pics.  

TEN fighters UFC has that aren't as good as Okami, aren't younger, aren't "up and comers". 

If UFC's middleweight division was a lot deeper with a lot of younger talent, then your argument would have substance in terms of UFC's reasoning.  

6 days ago when Okami's release news just broke, I created a thread "Only reason I can think UFC cut Okami is b/c" http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/mma.cfm?go=forum.posts&thread=2232146 which my initial logic was the exact same as yours, to make room for younger up and comers.

Then, to back that argument, I went to see UFC's current MW roster. What I found, totally negated my initial thought. I really wish mma media could see my argument and make it their own and present it to Dana.

10/3/13 10:56 PM
Garzilla
287 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt....great thread...
10/3/13 11:53 PM
Wasa-B

"Then, to back that argument, I went to see UFC's current MW roster. What I found, totally negated my initial thought. I really wish mma media could see my argument and make it their own and present it to Dana."

They gotta have some scrubs or round their roster out with lesser guys, young or not. But Dana already knows your point, they made the decision because of it, yeah? But i think they/Zuffa are aware of the fuss we've made on here even though Okami was never a popular UG fighter. But they probably knew the reaction prior to the decision anyhow.

If Okami had one more fight, i would have wanted it to avenge the Boetsch or Franklin losses. I didnt think he'd get run over by Jacare that badly either.
2/4/14 5:45 PM
EatonBeever
433 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UFC 169 proves my point.

2/4/14 5:55 PM
jagen

Not getting into the silly Okami getting cut argument, but I agreed with several paragraphs of your essay.
2/4/14 6:00 PM
EVILYOSHIDA

2/4/14 8:21 PM
ShoeMoney
337 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

WORST BOOK EVER WRITTEN!, MFCEO
EatonBeever -

UFC 169 proves my point.

Bro we really need to get a colabrotive google doc going w this and I can get it published. Do it fr charity or something. Phone Post 3.0
2/4/14 8:30 PM
Cann
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thread needs a TL;DR. Short summary of the "problems of Zuffa UFC"
2/4/14 8:39 PM
brich07

The rise and problems? Ahah Phone Post 3.0
2/4/14 8:41 PM
crazydave
253 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GOAT thread is back bitches!

2/4/14 8:46 PM
macblack

Good read Phone Post 3.0
2/5/14 12:48 AM
EatonBeever
433 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ShoeMoney - 
EatonBeever -

UFC 169 proves my point.

Bro we really need to get a colabrotive google doc going w this and I can get it published. Do it fr charity or something. Phone Post 3.0

whatever you need, ill do it

2/5/14 12:50 AM
RyannVonDoom

Cann - Thread needs a TL;DR. Short summary of the "problems of Zuffa UFC"
Fuck off with that. Phone Post 3.0
2/5/14 4:19 AM
strikeforce187

Great read, this will shake up peoples opinions of dana white, the ufc, and what the sport should be about.
2/5/14 6:32 AM
Lex_o

Wow good read Phone Post 3.0
2/8/14 11:52 AM
OUTCOLD
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

love it !
2/8/14 6:04 PM
EatonBeever

^^ Thanks guys

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.