UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> The Rise & Problems of Zuffa UFC by EatonBeever

3/27/12 7:54 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
CindyO
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

(cont)  A copy of the Agenda and Minutes of the April 23, 1999 NSAC meeting has also been obtained.

The Agenda reveals there was no scheduled vote to approve MMA as a fully sanctioned sport in Nevada at such meeting, only a "presentation" by SEG (page 2 item 13 of published Agenda states: Presentation by SEG Sports Corporation and filing of the rules and regulations of the Mixed Martial Arts Council.

The published Minutes (page 1 item 4) of the April 23, 1999 meeting indicate: Mr. Meyrowitz and Mr. Chwasky addressed the commission regarding item #13 on the agenda. They asked that the item be deleted from the agenda. They also invited the commissioners to attend their next live event and then they will ask to be placed on a future agenda. Both Mr. Meyrowitz and Mr. Chwasky stated that they felt viewing an event of mixed martial arts would answer some of the questions that the commission might have. Marc Ratner stated that Chairman Ghanem would appoint a committee to attend the event and report back to the commission.

This sequence of events is recorded in the written factual record and directly contradicts Mr. Meyrowitz's recounting of such events during the CNBC interview. The record shows not only that no such vote was scheduled but that the NSAC, of which Lorenzo Fertitta was a commissioner at the time, appeared willing to embrace MMA and investigate it further by sending a committee to attend SEG's next event, thereby facilitating the process of educating NSAC commissioners about the sport and increasing the chances of MMA's ultimate approval and regulation.

The NSAC records appear to be inline with comments made by Lorenzo Fertitta during an interview with Joel Gold published in the February 2001 edition of Full Contact Fighter Magazine.

Excerpts of applicable content from the interview (available online in its entirety at http://www.fcfighter.com/news0103.htm):

FCF: When you were a member on the Nevada State Athletic Commission, I came out to Vegas along with the UFC and their lawyer. As it was told to me, there was to be a vote on whether the Nevada State Athletic Commission was going to approve the UFC. But a vote never did take place; can you tell me why a vote never happened and what was your feeling about the UFC at that time?

LF: I think there lies miscommunication. As far as the Commission was concerned, there never was supposed to be a vote; it was only an agenda item for discussion. We had never even discussed Mixed Martial Arts. We had never talked about it. We knew nothing about it. All of a sudden, it showed up on our agenda and, for whatever reason, people were expecting a vote and that is just not how the process works. What you have to understand is the reason that Nevada is looked at as one of the premier regulatory bodies throughout the world is because they do the homework. And that was not necessarily a time for a vote, but the time that got the ball rolling to start doing the homework.

What that means is myself and a fellow Commissioner and the head of the medical advisory board flew out to a UFC fight in Iowa and we started collecting data relative to Mixed Martial Arts, watching videos, reading publications and just trying to learn as much as we could about it, but I think that is where there was a little bit of miscommunication. There was never supposed to be a vote regarding Mixed Martial Arts.

Sanctioning in the state of Nevada was eventually approved and the first UFC event took place at the Mandalay Bay Event Center in Las Vegas on September 28, 2001.

According to Dave Meltzer (Wrestling Observer), Mr. Meyrowitz recently announced plans to return to the sport of MMA. Meyrowitz and leading event promoter Live Nation have signed a deal to start a new promotion and details of the partnership will be disclosed in the coming weeks.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2008/01/17/zuffa-seeks-retraction-of-statements-by-former-ufc-owner
3/27/12 8:16 AM
dingdong_malice

Got bored half way through, UFC now >>>>> Pride Then.
3/27/12 8:58 AM
Ocean6

Damn you Eaton!!

Now I'll be late for work!

(thanks mang)
3/27/12 9:06 AM
hey mes
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

good job.
3/27/12 9:19 AM
liquidrob
115 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Go Eaton go
3/27/12 9:38 AM
UGCTT_Benwahwah
240 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Subbed. Phone Post
3/27/12 9:40 AM
ton74

Subd of course, always a great read thanks eaton Phone Post
3/27/12 9:41 AM
UGCTT_LnPninja

Cliff Notes: EatonBeaver knows a lot about the history of MMA. EatonBeaver has a sick sick obsession with hating on Zuffa, and entirely too much free time. EatonBeaver is pathetic. (I read the whole thing loser, you are a sad sad man)
3/27/12 9:51 AM
greco yeoman

TTT! Thank you Eaton!! Fantastic!!

Printed and filed!

I appreciate the time you put into the research and development of your history pieces. You're a real asset here. I hope to one day have the understanding you do of these issues Phone Post
3/27/12 9:54 AM
UGCTT_LnPninja

Edited: 03/27/12 10:23 AM
 Anyone who is so unintelligent that "faggot" is his main insult, should not be taken seriously. 

Nice write up, but you're a pathetic person.

3/27/12 9:56 AM
greco yeoman

Funaki Masakatsu #1 - Words cannot describe how great of a post this is from EatonBeever. This should be ttt'ed every single day. Phone Post
. Phone Post
3/27/12 9:59 AM
wiggum
274 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Let me get this straight. The UFC sucks because:

1. They have the person who has earned the #1 contender position fight the champion
2. They put on too many shows - we see too many fights!
3. They have lame music
4. They have lame posters
5. Frankie Edgar's corner told him, that he had to keep scoring, which meant, "keep punching him in his face."

EB, I've never asked this question to judge one's bonafides on the UG, but I've got to ask: do you train? If so, do you train with professional fighters?

I honesty think that you believe the fighters fight to serve you. They don't. While they may say they are trying to put a good show on for the fans, that's not what motivates them in training. They train for a variety of reasons: to test themselves, to make a living, to prove themselves, to scrap.

But as I read this, it seems you're just upset that the UFC is less like professional wrestling and more like professional sports.

Get over yourself, man.
3/27/12 10:17 AM
MMAxNate
132 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/27/12 10:24 AM
There is as much bullshit hate in this as there is actual fact. "Subjective" is a good term when you're hypocritically calling UFC out for rewriting history but you won't give all the facts when you tear them down over an issue.

As much credit as I can give you for your effort and what facts you chose to include in this, it is fatally flawed by the copious amounts of pure hatred and bias you have towards the subject. Because of this clear bias, it can not be taken or even discussed in a serious manner. It's a really good troll job at best.

LOL @ anyone swallowing this turd as 100% fact.
3/27/12 10:20 AM
wiggum
274 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

EatonBeever - And to wiggum, I didn't go batshit on DS or caposa.  That is light compared to what batshit means.  Batshit means I going to get banned.  They are noobs who I don't like, so I can express that if I choose.  The focus is not about DS, the focus is using DamnSevern since he's a popular member due to posting youtube videos on here, as a typical noob bandwagoner.   I probably could have dug up more shit on that noob, but didn't feel like it.  I used him as an example and thats it, moving on...If they dont like it, deal with it.  It's not my problem.<br type="_moz" />

You are a grown up, right?

At some point, we all have to accept that this is the internet, which brings out the weirdo in all of us. But, c'mon, man. You don't think it's weird that you saved people's posts on Fedor and Brock Lesnar for the purpose of rubbing it in their face later?

You don't think it's weird that you dedicate the conclusion of a very long write up to - what, exactly? - show that DS was wrong in assuming Overeem would struggle against Brock?

Maybe it's not weird by your standards. But it's weird by grown up standards. As is your serious use of the word "noob." It's as if you don't want this sport to grow. It's as if you think that you, as a fan, are more valuable than the people who go to the gym and leave there 7 pounds of sweat.
3/27/12 10:20 AM
UGCTT_Suess
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

hahahahaha.  wow. 
3/27/12 10:22 AM
MountainMedic
539 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

For later Phone Post
3/27/12 10:22 AM
UGCTT_LnPninja

UGCTT_Suess -  hahahahaha.  wow. 

This. "Wow" sums it all up nicely...
3/27/12 10:45 AM
Hungry4Stink
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I totally agree that a solution is superfights. I'm sick of hearing "he still has to clean out the division". While I'm super pumped for Sonnen/Anderson 2, we should have already have had GSP/Anderson 2 by now. Frankie/Aldo should be on the horizon. And even Jones/JDS if they both win. Do them at catchweights so titles don't matter. Whatever it takes to make them happen.
3/27/12 10:47 AM
UGCTT_LnPninja

Hungry4Stink - I totally agree that a solution is superfights. I'm sick of hearing "he still has to clean out the division". While I'm super pumped for Sonnen/Anderson 2, we should have already have had GSP/Anderson 2 by now. Frankie/Aldo should be on the horizon. And even Jones/JDS if they both win. Do them at catchweights so titles don't matter. Whatever it takes to make them happen.

VTFU! This is one of the many good points EB raises during his epic douchebaggery of a "history" of the sport.
3/27/12 11:14 AM
dudefromisrael
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

When I was 16 I wrote a 5 page piece on Sayeret Matkal. Then Someone told me I should get laid.

Boy did it change my life
3/27/12 11:30 AM
chokeyou

UP UP UP for Beaver....

3/27/12 11:32 AM
Pro Ice
1925 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks Beever will read later

TTT
3/27/12 11:43 AM
Kneeblock
75 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Later Phone Post
3/27/12 11:43 AM
Northside Strangler
457 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sub Phone Post
3/27/12 11:57 AM
Uchi
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

A great writeup by EB filled with lots of good information, but diminished by personal bias and speculation.
Effort is appreciated regardless.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.