UnderGround Forums

Judo/Sambo UnderGround >> Rustu Yildirim teaches in the same complex.....

3/27/12 1:25 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Seong gyeong
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

as my new job. Meaning, literally, I could walk there within minutes after work.

http://www.ocjudo.com/irvine.html

The only potential problem is that on the website I saw, the schedule lists classes for only "kids/teens."

http://www.ocjudo.com/class.html

Truth be told, I don't know anything about this guy. But the fact that my boss keeps me 2 hours overtime on average, and I could avoid a lot of the shitty-ass traffic home during rush hour by doing judo, I'm thinking of checking it out anyway.

Probably a pointless thread, just wondering if any of you know this guy?
3/27/12 11:54 AM
karpo
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You can find him from judoinside:
http://www.judoinside.com/judoka/view/11169/rustu_yildirim

European youth Olympic days silver is a nice achievement. It's pretty much equivalent for being B junior European medalist. Looking at the later results, it appear that he could not reproduce the success in under 20 or in adults.
However, if he has consistently trained through the years, I would assume that he is still bit of a specimen. Of course that is not a guarantee that he can teach.
3/28/12 1:33 AM
OCJudoTrngCtr
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The classes in Irvine are for kids only.  Rustu and Murat started the classes to teach kids from the Turkish American community about 3 years ago.

As far as asking about Rustu, I'll let Joshua fill you in on how good he is as a competitor, and yes, he's a physical phenom. There were some mitigating circumstances to an interuption in his judo career, starting with an injury.

As for his teaching credentials, he actually has a degree in sports education from university in Turkey. His coach was Rahman Incedayi who was also the coach of a gold and bronze medalist. Rustu assisted him with the junior team.  I haven't spoken to Rustu in quite awhile, so don't know how his English lessons are coming along.

You can call Murat who's phone number is listed on the website to see if they are planning on doing anything with adults.
3/29/12 8:05 PM
JoshuaResnick
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Rutsu is a beast.. i mean, a beast! his technical level is incredibly high and as a competitor, unreal...

if his career was not interrupted he may have been a serious world/olympic medal winner...

i'd stop by his place regardless of it being just for kids... you never know.
3/30/12 12:35 AM
Seong gyeong
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks for the feedback guys. I might as well check it out since the location is so close. Would be awesome if I could get some training done under him considering what you've all said.
3/30/12 5:22 PM
OCJudoTrngCtr
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/30/12 7:13 PM
 Thanks for bringing this topic up. It forced me to make a call that I probably should have made a year ago.  I haven't spoken to them in awhile and they run their club completely separate from the Anaheim facility which is under Sensei Juan Montenegro.

I spoke to Murat and he told me that they started a class about a month and a half ago on Friday nights for adults at 7:15pm.  Right now its just him, Rustu and a couple of their friends.

Have him teach you his kata garuma.

3/30/12 9:20 PM
Seong gyeong

OCJudoTrngCtr -  Thanks for bringing this topic up. It forced me to make a call that I probably should have made a year ago.  I haven't spoken to them in awhile and they run their club completely separate from the Anaheim facility which is under Sensei Juan Montenegro.

I spoke to Murat and he told me that they started a class about a month and a half ago on Friday nights for adults at 7:15pm.  Right now its just him, Rustu and a couple of their friends.

Have him teach you his kata garuma.

I really appreciate that; I plan to go there for sure then. Thanks!
3/30/12 9:49 PM
OCJudoTrngCtr

You're welcome.

Just to be clear, from what I understand the adults other than Rustu and Murat are beginners.

If you are looking for a real tough randori session, I think everyone is correct about Tenri being the place to be on a Friday night.  The faces and names change over the years, but its reputation has always been solid.  Tokozu Takada, the head instructor is insanely talented.

You can stop by the Anaheim facility on a Monday, Wednesday or Friday.  The classes are mixed. Juan is a super smooth and knowledgable in tachiwaza and newaza.  Here's a link to him doing a demo at the old Fight Zone in Long Beach (Now the Jiu-Jitsu League). Joshua is on commentary. :)   Not bad for a guy who was nearly 49 at the time.

www.youtube.com/watch

3/31/12 8:20 PM
judoblackbelt
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That combination throw he did at the 1:58 mark, ouchi gari then like a Harai Tsurikomi Ashi never seen that done that way before.
4/1/12 10:02 AM
JoshuaResnick
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Juan is awesome. both in his skill level and as a person. i am very happy with bringing my own kids to the Anaheim location and with working out/helping there when I can.

Someday ill bring my kids over to Rustu's class just to visit around and also to Mojica's, gardena, norwalk and tenri. Maybe to sawtelle when my buddy Ali Moghadas is able to bring his own rugrats there in the next few years.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.