UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> Best cardio excercise for a fat bastard?

3/27/12 2:09 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Ryduce
190 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Okay, I used to fight and train and weighed 140lbs. Now I am a fat bastard(219lbs)who also smoked cigs for a few years. The good news is that before originally trained I lost over 100lbs, so I'm no stranger to knocking the shit off quick, and I am very good with diets.

Now, my girl and I have started doing some interval training,I have once again lost 10lbs in 6 days, but I am looking for something I can do around the house to really get my cardio going. No machines, I hate ellipticals. Anyone got a interesting regiment to help a brother out. would love to be able to start training again in a few months.
3/27/12 6:07 PM
Bobby Lupo
77 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Distance runs. No gimmick, but they work and you feel awesome when you're finished.
3/28/12 1:27 AM
DarthChoke
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://www.yurielkaim.com/1295/burn-more-fat-workout-finishers/

Watch the video too. Compound movements, whole body movements, circuit training

Sweat buckets! Phone Post
3/28/12 1:30 AM
UGCTT_Gaspare
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Paleo diet and kettlebells Phone Post
3/28/12 1:35 AM
DarthChoke
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Oops!! This one is what I meant to post.

http://www.yurielkaim.com/1300/anatomy-of-a-great-fat-loss-workout/ Phone Post
3/28/12 3:26 AM
Amado
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bobby Lupo -  Distance runs. No gimmick, but they work and you feel awesome when you're finished.
This and tabata.

Hindu pushups, jumper squats, pushups, bw squats.

Finish with a round of burpees Phone Post
3/28/12 5:55 AM
Leigh
954 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

No need for tabata. Hardly burns any calories compared to distance work Phone Post
3/28/12 8:04 AM
Bobby Lupo
77 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Every army in the world turns fatbodies into soldiers with distance running and calesthenics. You don't need equiptment, a book on how to do it, crazy rules or any gimmicks.

Start out small with run walks. Then just run 3x a week, 6 miles at a 10 minute/mile pace. Take 2 or three days to do 45 minutes of calestenics: Pushup variations, BW Squats, Jumping jacks, lunges, mountain climbers, eventually pullups and dips, planks, situps, leg raises, supermans, anything you like. In 3 months you'll see real progress if you keep your diet in check.
3/29/12 12:50 AM
Amado
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Leigh -  No need for tabata. Hardly burns any calories compared to distance work Phone Post

i was thinking of combining the two
3/29/12 1:54 AM
SlickPacific

Leigh - No need for tabata. Hardly burns any calories compared to distance work Phone Post

There are ton's of pro's that would disagree with that statement.
3/29/12 3:12 AM
Leigh
954 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

SlickPacific -
Leigh - No need for tabata. Hardly burns any calories compared to distance work Phone Post

There are ton's of pro's that would disagree with that statement.
Then they'd be wrong. It isn't an opinion, its a fact Phone Post
3/29/12 4:45 AM
Andy the man

Leigh, What is it that you have against Interval based work?

LSD is boring as fuck mate.

I honestly can't see how LSD can give you any benefits over Intervals.
3/29/12 7:07 AM
Leigh

I have nothing "against" interval work. I'm posting fact. Distance work burns more calories - this cannot be disputed.

It is also far superior for training your aerobic system by leading to eccentric cardiac hypertrophy. The fact that you cannot see the benefits does not make them untrue.
3/29/12 7:25 AM
Bobby Lupo

Andy the man - Leigh, What is it that you have against Interval based work?

LSD is boring as fuck mate.

I honestly can't see how LSD can give you any benefits over Intervals.

I hated running, but I put an audiobook or lecture on and slog through it.
3/29/12 11:03 AM
disbeliever
530 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hill sprints mixed with long distance jogs
3/29/12 12:45 PM
disbeliever
530 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I swear by hill sprints and alternate long distance running on other days.
3/29/12 1:03 PM
Taku
160 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If one works out harder, one will burn more calories for the same unit of time. The substrate (fat / carbs) is less important than the total deficit created. Due to the nature of creating larger glucose debt Iinterval work done for a similar length of time, would prove superior to steady-state work.

The science supports this.

TAKU
3/29/12 2:07 PM
Leigh

Edited: 03/29/12 2:07 PM
Taku, that's not correct. You are ignoring the rest portion of an interval. If it was possibly to generate more energy using intervals, distance events would be a series of stop-starts.

Choose an interval protocol and see how many calories you can burn in 30 minutes. Do a steady state effort and you will burn more calories, with that addition of not killing yourself.
3/29/12 2:12 PM
disbeliever

Leigh - Taku, that's not correct. You are ignoring the rest portion of an interval. If it was possibly to generate more energy using intervals, distance events would be a series of stop-starts.

Choose an interval protocol and see how many calories you can burn in 30 minutes. Do a steady state effort and you will burn more calories, with that addition of not killing yourself.

Every piece of research I have read says otherwise. How can you even say running at the same state for 30 minutes burns the same calories as killing yourself over and over and over again for 30 minutes?

Why would distance events be a start and stop thing then? Distance events are for distance, and if you kill yourself 1/4 the way into the total distance, you wont make it to the end. Distance events you have to pace yourself and set a groove. I dont understand your argument here?

And resting does not mean do nothing. You jog when you rest, at least I do. I sprint, then jog, sprint then jog. So how would you burn the same amount of calories in a half an hour if your doing more work in addition to the same jogging?
3/29/12 2:21 PM
DarthChoke

Doesn't most research so intervals to be more effective due to the EPOC or the afterburn affect? Meaning intervals are said to make the body burn more calories/fat over a 24-hr period.

When I have read these articles they are always referenced by a few different studies. I have NOT read the studies that are used to support these articles. Phone Post
3/29/12 2:38 PM
Leigh

disbeliever - Every piece of research I have read says otherwise. How can you even say running at the same state for 30 minutes burns the same calories as killing yourself over and over and over again for 30 minutes?

Because its true

disbeliever - Why would distance events be a start and stop thing then? Distance events are for distance, and if you kill yourself 1/4 the way into the total distance, you wont make it to the end. Distance events you have to pace yourself and set a groove. I dont understand your argument here?

Are you trolling? You have made my point for me. If you go flat out and only complete 1/4 of the distance, then you will only burn 1/4 of the calories. You will not cover 5 miles using a HIIT protocol in anything like the time you would complete it at a steady state, therefore it takes you much longer using HIIT to burn the same number of calories.

It's simple maths and I'd be very interested for you to post a study that shows intervals burn more calories over the same time period as steady state work.
3/29/12 3:07 PM
disbeliever

Leigh - 
disbeliever - Every piece of research I have read says otherwise. How can you even say running at the same state for 30 minutes burns the same calories as killing yourself over and over and over again for 30 minutes?

Because its true

disbeliever - Why would distance events be a start and stop thing then? Distance events are for distance, and if you kill yourself 1/4 the way into the total distance, you wont make it to the end. Distance events you have to pace yourself and set a groove. I dont understand your argument here?

Are you trolling? You have made my point for me. If you go flat out and only complete 1/4 of the distance, then you will only burn 1/4 of the calories. You will not cover 5 miles using a HIIT protocol in anything like the time you would complete it at a steady state, therefore it takes you much longer using HIIT to burn the same number of calories.

It's simple maths and I'd be very interested for you to post a study that shows intervals burn more calories over the same time period as steady state work.

Am I trolling? Are you?

You said if intervals burn more energy distance events would change to a stop/go method. Why? Do distance events care about energy burned? Is the entire point of distance running the energy burned, or actually going the DISTANCE the fastest?

Say you run a 5 mile event, and assume someone could HIIT for 5 miles.

If one runner runs the same pace for all 5 miles, they WILL NOT burn more calories than a runner who does HIIT for the entire 5 miles. If they sprint, then jog, then sprint then jog etc.

How can you even argue this? When in rest phase you are JOGGING (like the distance runner) and when not resting your balls out burning more energy than the distance runner who only went the same pace the entire 5 miles.

If I run at 5mph for 30 minutes I will NOT burn more calories than someone who sprints balls out, then jogs at 5mph, then sprints balls out for 30 minutes. How can you even argue otherwise? Are you saying that the HIIT runner will stop and sit down for their rest phase and do nothing?

I am not discussing benefits to heart, or muscle or fat loss. I am only addressing your post that you burn more calories doing LD running at the same steady pace. Its just not true. Plus HIIT has a far longer lasting effect on calorie burning long after you stop running.
3/29/12 3:19 PM
Leigh

The person who jogs for 5 miles will burn the SAME calories as the guy who does 5 miles of HIIT (assuming they weigh the same).

But he will burn those calories quicker.
3/29/12 3:23 PM
Andy the man

Intervals all day.

They whip you into shape, LSD (for me) doesn't.
3/29/12 3:26 PM
Leigh

Reading your post again, I'm not sure you understand how energy systems work very well (not meant as an insult). If you go flat out, you will need to recover your anaerobic systems before you sprint off again. You can use active recovery if you wish but it's not efficient as you'll be using valuable ATP (generated by your aerobic system) that is required to recover the anaerobic systems.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.