UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> Best cardio excercise for a fat bastard?

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

3/30/12 1:42 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The best plan is the one you'll actually follow. Do activities that you enjoy in a sustainable manner, and eat reasonable portions of wholesome food. Don't attempt to do plyometrics eight days a week or some crazy starvation diet.
3/30/12 1:56 PM
Deepy
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

From what I understand the effect of EPOC from interval training is not that much greater than the EPOC you get from steady state cardio.

See this link for more info:
http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/steady-state-versus-intervals-and-epoc-practical-application.html Phone Post
3/30/12 3:31 PM
Andy the man
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

@ U4EA - Bro i've only got a short window in the gym due to how busy i am because of work, So i like to make it count.

I also HATE running, Hardly Swim, And i'll get one long Cycle in through the week etc.

It's just a good little formula (30 mins in the gym = Done) ;-)
3/30/12 3:54 PM
U4EA
180 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

419 - great advice.

Andy - I dont see the reason for the 2 min break. I also don't see why you would bother going to a gym. Just get some running shoes on and hit the pavement. Just my opinion.
3/30/12 4:10 PM
Andy the man

Trust me, it's a killer of a workout. One minute is not enough of a break.

How long would you take?

I put the incline and the resistance up to level 14 in the end, believe me, you need a decent break before starting your next set.

Er, because i HATE running? Have a bad knee? Prefer what i'm doing now?
3/30/12 4:31 PM
Leigh
1186 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I understand you not running. I also think you could do 30 mins straight if you pushed yourself but 2 mins off isn't a big deal really. But its not HIIT
3/30/12 4:41 PM
Andy the man

Yeah possibly, But i need a breather, Hence the break (water, wipe down with a towel etc).

It's intervals to me due to me going up in levels and resistance and going back down, if that makes sense?

Nothing steady about it imo.
3/30/12 4:52 PM
U4EA
180 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fair enough Andy. Point taken. I've never liked running machines but that is personal preference and it may also be slight ignorance as I have only used one once or twice. I would just rather get out there and it naturally (or naturally as distance can ever be) while breathing fresh air. But whatever works for you - it does sound like you are getting a good workout.

Also, if you need a breather, fair enough. If it wasnt for that though, I think you would find that running 30 mins straight would become easier than 2 x 14 mins as you pushed through. That is what I find with my own body though - I never get good at distance/endurance unless I put myself through absolute hell for a good few consecutive days.
3/30/12 5:02 PM
Andy the man

Mate, I'd love nothing more than to be able to don my running shoes and go and do 10k right now, I'd LOVE IT. But with my knee it's just not happening.

I also find Running boring unless i'm Running with something (IE: Soccer).
3/30/12 10:19 PM
TheRealJoker
189 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Can't beat roadwork!!! Phone Post
4/4/12 5:53 AM
kuyajason
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Insanity workout haha its great
4/4/12 8:33 AM
Bobby Lupo
211 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Threads like this are the reason that the S&C forum is the best on the site. 3 respected dudes who know what they're talking about, debating without arguing and dropping knowledge. Nice one
4/17/12 2:11 PM
FLMikeATT

bump.

I'm confused. So steady state work burns more calories during the workout period, but interval training boosts your metabolism and fat loss post workout?

Is this correct? If one wants to lose fat and put on lean muscle, which is the correct way to go?
4/17/12 2:33 PM
Leigh
1186 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

To answer your questions:

"So steady state work burns more calories during the workout period, but interval training boosts your metabolism and fat loss post workout?"

Steady state, if done to threshold, will burn more calories for the duration of the workout. The workout can also be performed for longer. The EPOC effect is pretty overblown and will not make much difference.

"If one wants to lose fat and put on lean muscle, which is the correct way to go?"
You should not rely on either steady state work or intervals. Fat loss is best achieved through diet. Hypertrophy is best achieved through resistance training and surplus calories
4/17/12 3:42 PM
FLMikeATT

Thanks. I'm in the process of changing my diet. And for cardio after lifting I usually switch it up between a shorter high intensity interval setting with a 30 minute lower intensity setting. So I do both really but I was wondering if there were any reasons to do one more often (or exclusively) than the other.
4/17/12 3:58 PM
U4EA

Re: changing your diet

Simply try to get your body chemistry adjusted where you can function fine without eating sugar or starch. Once you are doing that, you basal insulin will drop and your body will start to change.
4/18/12 10:57 AM
U4EA

Anyone care to chime in on any info they have regarding the effects of different types of diet and exercise on visceral and subcutaneous fat?
4/18/12 11:10 AM
disbeliever
855 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think I am going about things all wrong. I have been trying to do the old out work your diet method.

My diet is pretty tight, and I work out 6 days a week 2 times a day. I think my calorie intake is too low though or something. I am still 20% bf and it hasn't budged in weeks despite not cheating on diet, and working out so hard.

So do I have some hormones blocking my fat loss?

My daily diet consists of this:

Breakfast: 4-5 strawberries, 1 cup blueberries and a cup of oatmeal
Snack: Yogurt
Lunch/post workout: 3 ounces lean turkey breast, 1 scoop whey protein shake
Snack: Yogurt
Dinner: Lean meat and veggies

I drink 12 glasses of water a day.

I just seem to be doing something wrong now physiologically.

My workouts are this

Mon-Sat mornings I do a half hour on the heavy bag before work/day
M-W-F at lunch I hit the gym to do weights, end every session with 15 minutes cardio
T-T at lunch I jog a mile or two.

M-W-F at night I do BJJ and boxing

T-T night I run hill sprints with my 11 year old daughter

I dropped 20lbs and 10% bf (according to scale) doing this, but its stopped, and I even say reversed, and nothing has changed. I seem more bloated and the fat is not coming off.

I am 31 about to turn 32 in 2 months, so I wonder if something chemically is going on that is blocking me from losing fat, where when I was 20 this method worked wonderfully after a motorcycle accident laid me up for a year and I got fat.

Any ideas?
4/18/12 11:14 AM
U4EA

Get rid of the oatmeal and yoghurt.
4/18/12 11:18 AM
disbeliever
855 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

U4EA - Get rid of the oatmeal and yoghurt.

I appreciate the suggestion, but could you elaborate more?

For pretty much my entire life I have heard/read oatmeal is a great fat burning meal for breakfast. I am not talking instant crap either.

So WHY are you telling me to get rid of yogurt and oatmeal?
4/18/12 11:19 AM
Leigh

If I did what you do, I would be dead within a month. The fact that you are not losing weight bottles my mind
4/18/12 11:27 AM
U4EA

Oatmeal is a grass/grain, so not suitable for human consumption. It also contains protein(s) that are similar to gluten and can/will cause irritation.

Yoghurt is not a human food. No dairy is.
4/18/12 11:28 AM
U4EA

Leigh - If I did what you do, I would be dead within a month. The fact that you are not losing weight bottles my mind

I was wondering why he wasn't losing any weight either. Thinking maybe that is caloric expenditure is so high and his intake so low that he is running on adrenaline or something?
4/18/12 11:29 AM
disbeliever

I have always had "good cardio" and recover very fast. I usually spend most of Sunday sleeping or laying around doing nothing or doing relaxing activities with the kids.

One other issue I will mention is I have a slightly hyPOactive thyroid, but it is managed with medicine.

I just don't get it. I always assumed you could out work anything. And its not like I am eating like shit.

I am wondering if its water retention or somehow related to water. One day I will wake up and feel lighter, look leaner (i.e. flatter stomach) then a few days later I will wake up and be bloated, feel bigger look bigger etc.

the scale is not moving though and its pissing me off
4/18/12 11:30 AM
disbeliever

U4EA - 
Leigh - If I did what you do, I would be dead within a month. The fact that you are not losing weight bottles my mind

I was wondering why he wasn't losing any weight either. Thinking maybe that is caloric expenditure is so high and his intake so low that he is running on adrenaline or something?

I lost a good bit of weight/bf for a few weeks, then it stopped while nothing changed diet/work out wise.

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.