UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> Best cardio excercise for a fat bastard?

4/18/12 11:49 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
U4EA
140 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I wonder if it is still a thyroid issue?

And is the bloating fat gain? If not, it could be intestinal problems from the grains/dairy.
4/18/12 11:59 AM
disbeliever
392 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

U4EA - I wonder if it is still a thyroid issue?

And is the bloating fat gain? If not, it could be intestinal problems from the grains/dairy.

I could try giving up dairy for a few weeks and see how I feel

Also, I am getting an ultra sound of the thyroid tomorrow morning and blood work, to rule out the thyroid is causing these issues. Its been consistant though on these meds
4/18/12 12:25 PM
U4EA
140 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TBH I doubt it's the grains and dairy that could be causing that. If you get a feeling of being bloated, definitely cut out all wheat.
9/4/12 7:42 AM
Fedors Jim Jams
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

great discussion
9/4/12 9:16 AM
dc1000
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

so if i walk 10 miles it burns the same if i sprint 10 miles?

9/4/12 9:30 AM
Leigh
877 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

dc1000 - so if i walk 10 miles it burns the same if i sprint 10 miles?

Yes Phone Post
9/4/12 9:35 AM
dc1000
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Leigh - 
dc1000 - so if i walk 10 miles it burns the same if i sprint 10 miles?

Yes Phone Post

distance x mass is it and absolutely no relevance for intensity? thats interesting
9/4/12 9:50 AM
dc1000

What about f = ma. Phone Post
9/4/12 11:46 AM
Leigh
877 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What about F=MA? Phone Post
9/4/12 11:54 AM
dc1000

Running has higher force due to increased acceleration.

Greater force expenditure over the same distance must require higher energy exertion and thus greater caloric burn. Phone Post
9/4/12 12:06 PM
Leigh

Wrong. In any case, acceleration period is neglible in a 10 mile run.

I mean, you could argue things like wind resistance, efficiency, EPOC etc but they are neglible, especially when you consider that no one is sprinting 10 miles. Phone Post
9/4/12 3:39 PM
disbeliever
392 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, Moderator
ttt
9/4/12 4:12 PM
dc1000

it just really fails the sniff test to say that running ten miles and walking ten miles is the same level of caloric exertion.

i mean, the simple evidence of greater sweat production, higher body heat, etc demands recognition that a greater level of energy is being used.

9/4/12 4:35 PM
Leigh

dc1000 - it just really fails the sniff test to say that running ten miles and walking ten miles is the same level of caloric exertion.

i mean, the simple evidence of greater sweat production, higher body heat, etc demands recognition that a greater level of energy is being used.

I know it does, cos one is much harder than the other. But that's the simple truth. If it helps, think of it like this - running for an hour burns lots more calories than walking for an hour Phone Post
9/4/12 4:40 PM
Authority Figure

Bobby Lupo -  Distance runs. No gimmick, but they work and you feel awesome when you're finished.

I would definitely try speed walking and weigh training. You don't want to have a heartache, but you've got to start. Also - stop snacking and no eating after dark. Discipline my friend, discipline.
9/4/12 4:43 PM
dc1000

"Our argument began when I told Swain that both walking and running burn the same number of calories per mile. I was absolutely certain of this fact for two unassailable reasons: (1) I had read it a billion times; and (2) I had repeated it a billion times. Most runners have heard that running burns about 100 calories a mile. And since walking a mile requires you to move the same body weight over the same distance, walking should also burn about 100 calories a mile. Sir Isaac Newton said so.

Swain was unimpressed by my junior-high physics. "When you perform a continuous exercise, you burn five calories for every liter of oxygen you consume," he said. "And running in general consumes a lot more oxygen than walking."

What the Numbers Show

I was still gathering my resources for a retort when a new article crossed my desk, and changed my cosmos. In "Energy Expenditure of Walking and Running," published last December in Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise, a group of Syracuse University researchers measured the actual calorie burn of 12 men and 12 women while running and walking 1,600 meters (roughly a mile) on a treadmill. Result: The men burned an average of 124 calories while running, and just 88 while walking; the women burned 105 and 74. (The men burned more than the women because they weighed more.)"

9/4/12 5:26 PM
dc1000

guess leigh is in bed ;)
9/4/12 5:32 PM
Crw
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sub Phone Post
9/4/12 5:40 PM
Leigh

dc1000 - guess leigh is in bed ;)
I am in bed - watching CSI.

That could be right, a factor of 25% or so is significant. Running is also better for fitness and you'll also cover the miles much quicker. However if your goal is solely weight loss and running is not your thing (sore joints, unfit or whatever), you do not have to kill yourself to get results Phone Post
9/5/12 11:08 AM
dc1000

its actually almost 50% great caloric burn

yeah, science! (breaking bad quote for those of you not in the know)
9/5/12 11:22 AM
vermonter
109 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09/05/12 11:23 AM
dc1000 - "Our argument began when I told Swain that both walking and running burn the same number of calories per mile. I was absolutely certain of this fact for two unassailable reasons: (1) I had read it a billion times; and (2) I had repeated it a billion times. Most runners have heard that running burns about 100 calories a mile. And since walking a mile requires you to move the same body weight over the same distance, walking should also burn about 100 calories a mile. Sir Isaac Newton said so.

Swain was unimpressed by my junior-high physics. "When you perform a continuous exercise, you burn five calories for every liter of oxygen you consume," he said. "And running in general consumes a lot more oxygen than walking."

What the Numbers Show

I was still gathering my resources for a retort when a new article crossed my desk, and changed my cosmos. In "Energy Expenditure of Walking and Running," published last December in Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise, a group of Syracuse University researchers measured the actual calorie burn of 12 men and 12 women while running and walking 1,600 meters (roughly a mile) on a treadmill. Result: The men burned an average of 124 calories while running, and just 88 while walking; the women burned 105 and 74. (The men burned more than the women because they weighed more.)"

This is far from wholly accurate. One mile is a substantially different effort metabolically than 10 miles. For the latter, Leigh is largely correct.

Additionally, for most people 5mph is the point at which mechanical efficiency is greater while running. I.E. if you were to walk even one mile at 6mph and then run one mile at 6mph, you would burn more calories walking than running.

Too many variables for a statement like "running in general consumes a lot more oxygen than walking" to be more accurate than "running in general consumes the same amount of oxygen as walking." Swains statement is true per unit time, but much less true per unit distance, which is what Leigh is arguing. Perhaps if Swain had a better understanding of highschool level physics and biochemistry he would have known this.
9/5/12 12:01 PM
Superman84
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Leigh - Taku

I agree with you. I do not think substrate is very important. I think there are other ways to train than running and the climber is a good one. And I agree that you do not need to do any cardio to drop fat.

However, steady state work burns calories more quickly than HIIT. It really is simple maths. Energy (calories) = mass x distance covered. Speed is irrelevant. Covering 5 miles in 30 minutes or covering it in 3 hours requires the same number of calories. And we all know that the fastest way to cover a distance is steady state, not intervals.

Additionally, as Doug says, you can do distance work for an hour. Even half of that would be a stretch at HIIT. HIIT is simply not a very effective way to burn calories.

Hi Leigh,

I agree in general with your LSD cardio argument.

I was just not sure that the energy=mass X distance equation holds true in a linear fashion over all distances.

I visualised a 50 metre track. Intuitively it would seem that sprinting the 50 metres would burn more calories than a slow walk for the same distance.

I suspect the difference is related to some kind of endocrine response from sprinting.

This is a good thread. Lots of talk about HIIT in most magazines, but when you think about the recovery period associated with HIIT training, LSD training over a given time period creates a greater calorie deficit.
9/5/12 12:59 PM
Leigh

Leigh -
dc1000 - guess leigh is in bed ;)
I am in bed - watching CSI.

That could be right, a factor of 25% or so is significant. Running is also better for fitness and you'll also cover the miles much quicker. However if your goal is solely weight loss and running is not your thing (sore joints, unfit or whatever), you do not have to kill yourself to get results Phone Post
Well I guess it depends which way you work the numbers. 74 is about 70% of 105.

As Doug says, this margin closes depending on speed. A 1 mile run pace will be quicker than a 10 mile pace. Phone Post
9/7/12 4:05 PM
enbanc

vermonter - Taku,

I think Leigh agrees that it's possible to lose weight with intervals (or by any method) so long as calories out exceed calories in. Personally, i've lost 45 lbs by diet alone, which is the most important factor.

That said, if the question is, what is the "best" cardio exercise for weight loss, one would assume the one burning the most calories would be the "best." Comparing apples to apples, intervals simply wouldn't be the best by that metric.

Perhaps i'm putting words in his mouth, but i believe that's the only argument he is making, and he is absolutely correct.

so you are saying walking for 8 hours a day is the best fat burning exercise?
9/7/12 4:21 PM
enbanc

you have to constantly accelerate and decelerate during HIIT, which burns more calories compared to just maintaining a certain jogging speed

the hardest part of HIIT in my experience is the BRUTAL feeling of intentionally sapping all your forward momentum to return to a jog, knowing that in a few seconds you'll have to force yourself to accelerate all over again

fwiw i started out doing 30/30 intervals then switched to 10/20 which SUCKS SO MUCH MORE but the worst feeling is the 8/12 I did on a bike one winter indoors FUCKFUCK 8/12 is fucking terrible feeling (but it works)

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.