UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> Best cardio excercise for a fat bastard?

9/7/12 4:26 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
enbanc
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

distance = calories burned???

you have the implicit assumption that all forms of forward motion have the same total distance traveled for the same horizontal distance traveled, also you're ignoring post-workout burn that comes from HIIT and not LDSS
9/7/12 6:16 PM
Leigh
714 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Post work calories (epoc) are negligible when you consider that LSD burns way, way more calories during the workout. Phone Post
9/10/12 6:13 PM
UGCTT_Fraser_Finlay
224 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Subbed! Phone Post
9/11/12 11:49 AM
HAZ_10

High intensity weight training sets and circuits Phone Post
9/12/12 11:10 AM
Wet Fish
79 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What's you're your guys opinion on working at Differant heart rates ie "fat burning zones". Phone Post
9/12/12 11:16 AM
Leigh
714 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm not an expert on it but I think the zone that allows you to burn the most calories will be the most effective. That is probably going to be at your threshold HR. Cardio on an empty stomach will mean your insulin levels are low and you'll burn more calories from fat than if you have eaten. Phone Post
9/18/12 2:37 PM
TerreM

I hear people disregard LSD as outdated and intervals are "the thing" but I'd have to say that it really depends on what you're goal is. I can't imagine trying to prepare for a half marathon or other type event without doing some LSD work. I do a little of both types of training (for run and bike) and I've found the interval work has definitely helped increase my speed. But without the LSD work I am pretty sure I'd run out of gas much sooner. Doesn't your level of conditioning determine at what point you go anaerobic? Just look at the pace these top marathoners race at. I doubt many (if any of us) could keep up with them for even the first half mile, let alone 26 miles. They are running at their own aerobic pace while you or I would be redline anaerobic. Of course they are running machines: legs, heart and lungs and everything else is extra weight.
9/19/12 2:31 PM
vermonter
85 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

enbanc - 
vermonter - Taku,

I think Leigh agrees that it's possible to lose weight with intervals (or by any method) so long as calories out exceed calories in. Personally, i've lost 45 lbs by diet alone, which is the most important factor.

That said, if the question is, what is the "best" cardio exercise for weight loss, one would assume the one burning the most calories would be the "best." Comparing apples to apples, intervals simply wouldn't be the best by that metric.

Perhaps i'm putting words in his mouth, but i believe that's the only argument he is making, and he is absolutely correct.

so you are saying walking for 8 hours a day is the best fat burning exercise?

If that burns the most calories versus anything else you might do (and it probably would) then yes.
9/19/12 2:34 PM
vermonter
85 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

enbanc - you have to constantly accelerate and decelerate during HIIT, which burns more calories compared to just maintaining a certain jogging speed

the hardest part of HIIT in my experience is the BRUTAL feeling of intentionally sapping all your forward momentum to return to a jog, knowing that in a few seconds you'll have to force yourself to accelerate all over again

fwiw i started out doing 30/30 intervals then switched to 10/20 which SUCKS SO MUCH MORE but the worst feeling is the 8/12 I did on a bike one winter indoors FUCKFUCK 8/12 is fucking terrible feeling (but it works)

0/3600 is brootal too bro, and works soooo good.
9/19/12 3:10 PM
disbeliever
312 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, Moderator
The term "best" is relative and needs to be defined. It's not practical for someone to walk 8 hours a day, normally. So even though that may burn more calories than intervals or anything else, it isn't "best" because it's not practical.

Or something
9/19/12 3:36 PM
vermonter

Edited: 09/19/12 3:37 PM
disbeliever - The term "best" is relative and needs to be defined. It's not practical for someone to walk 8 hours a day, normally. So even though that may burn more calories than intervals or anything else, it isn't "best" because it's not practical.

Or something

From Vermonter -> That said, if the question is, what is the "best" cardio exercise for weight loss, one would assume the one burning the most calories would be the "best."

That looks like a definition to me. And it's relative too. So it can be relative to what you think is the most practical there, sparky.
9/19/12 4:21 PM
disbeliever
312 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, Moderator
You said it yourself "if the question is..."

I was only pointing out "best" is different to everyone's needs. not arguing with you, pork chop
9/19/12 4:28 PM
vermonter

But... that was the question.....
10/31/12 9:33 PM
all u can eat

I got on here for some help and like what you all have to say. But when you are as out of shape as me you cant do the things you guys are saying just starting out. I have tried and when I do I hurt myself real good bad back and knees trying but takes time for me thanks
11/1/12 4:39 AM
JFC1001
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If you want to lose weight, the kitchen is your best friend. You can't outwork a shitty diet. Phone Post
11/1/12 12:30 PM
DarthChoke
54 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JFC1001 - If you want to lose weight, the kitchen is your best friend. You can't outwork a shitty diet. Phone Post
This. For people really out of shape, cleaning up diet is MUCH harder than the exercise. It requires ALL DAY commitment EVERY DAY.

You have to truly want it. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.