UnderGround Forums

Money, Business & Finance Ground >> Next bubble to blow up: gold and other metals

3/28/12 12:46 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
devnull
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just saying. Do you agree?
3/28/12 5:49 PM
LiveWire
126 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Not sure. I'm not a gold bug like many on here but I don't know that it's going to burst.
3/29/12 1:35 AM
Pain dont hurt
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Agreed. See: 1980
3/29/12 11:14 AM
Siciliano
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Next bubble to blow up is the US dollar.
3/31/12 3:08 AM
808dvs
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It has to be a bubble to pop, bro.
3/31/12 9:49 PM
OneScoup

My 2 cents...

Gold is up because the government is printing money like mad and has been printing for 15 years, ever since Greenspan directed the Fed to the "Full Employment" approach to monetary policy. Bernanke came out an announced and end to this policy and will target a specific inflation number (presumable 2%). However Bernanke has said that first he will continue to print dollars to bailout the economy, which is ongoing.

IMO this means gold is going to pop at some point because Bernanke will print less than Greenspan. The question is, when the economy picks up with all the bailouts and dollars in circulation, are we going to get even high inflation before Bernanke switches to the Targeted Inflation approach? If the Consumer Price Index rises from the current 4% gold will go up even higher.
4/1/12 6:17 PM
Joe Ray
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Central banks across the world are also major market participants(read manipulators) of the gold market.

Apparently they have been on a huge buying spree recently. I don't think they are going to let the price of gold collapse just yet.

I think central banks across the world hold around 20% of all gold.
7/14/12 2:40 AM
kung_pow
62 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I agree that Gold will be a problem but I don't know if bubble is the right word because gold has intrinsic value that previous bubble commodities did not have. There will be people that will make a lot of money, but like all previous bubbles, they were the people that got in on the ground floor (usually because the had information before everyone else) and then started pumping up the hype to get people that knew nothing about the investment in question to take their money and invest.

I think the real problem with gold right now is that like other bubbles you have people that get into gold because they hear the news talk about it, and they see the gold guy on TV so they think gold is where the smart money is.

However few people pay attention enough to know that you may buy gold but you are not physically holding the gold. You are buying certificates that say your gold is in a vault and there are fees involved for holding the gold for you.

A rule of money is that you do not invest in things in which you are not familiar or with people that you don't know or whose trustworthiness is unproven. Many people are buying gold without understanding why it can be valuable, and they are buying from tv commercials saying that gold is a good investment.

I would not be surprised if another crash occurs, when people go to cash out their gold, they find that there is no gold in the vaults, or the holding company goes out of business, or some massive fraud occurred in which people cant get their money back.

Such an event would effect the price of gold as people lost faith in their holdings and started to cash out causing a run on gold.

I know some people also buy gold coins, but the difficulty there is that coins cost a little extra beyond their weight value, and you need to have a safe to put it in, and then you have to hire a midget that hides under a pile of dirty clothes next to the safe, ready to jump out and stab any intruders.

Just my opinion.
7/14/12 3:56 AM
808dvs
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If said run ever occurs, the price of physical gold and silver will fly.

That's why if you are going to invest in metals, invest in metal. Not the paper that says you own it...
7/18/12 9:56 PM
OneScoup

Bernanke seems ready to print money for several more years, i wouldn't worry about a bubble just yet.
7/20/12 4:56 AM
808dvs

And if he does stop printing, the economy will tank and correct itself like it should.

The only thing that can and has been affecting metals negatively has been market manipulation.

That is the only thing stackers have to worry about. Phone Post
8/3/12 4:40 PM
Siciliano
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That's why I have faith in my American Gold and Silver Eagles and my Canadian Gold and Silve Maple leafs.

If you can't touch it, you don't own it.
8/20/12 6:28 PM
Tehunamatata
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

George Soros, John Paulson and central banks says NO

http://etfdailynews.com/2012/08/16/why-are-george-soros-and-john-paulson-buying-up-so-much-gold-gld-slv-iau-phys-agq/

http://etfdailynews.com/2012/08/20/long-term-technical-outlook-for-gold-silver-prices-gld-gdx-iau-slv-gg-abx-kgc-iag/
8/21/12 3:47 AM
Joe Ray

George Soros has also been buy shares on Manchester United.

9/13/12 4:08 PM
LittleJoeMama
121 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Well, well, well.

I guess Soros and Rogers were right afterall.
10/22/12 8:57 PM
PTM2020
1350 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

so is right now a good time to buy?

10/29/12 8:14 PM
Tehunamatata

Depends on your time horizon.

I think when the next big decline comes (US fiscal cliff, Euro, Credit downgrades, take your pick) gold will sell off like everything else.

At this point the sheep will be selling everything and buying US treasuries while the insiders will be selling treasuries and buying more gold.
10/31/12 11:45 AM
Siciliano

PTM,

Yes. Also, try investing in silver. it might be better than gold in the long run.

I hope there's gonna be another dip come December. Would be buying opportunity then.
6/5/13 7:06 PM
devnull

Has the bubble burst?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/economics-blog/2013/jun/03/gold-bubble-bursts-nouriel-roubini
11/20/13 12:28 AM
OneScoup

I'm still not sure. Metals seem to have stabilized after a fall, but the central banks likely have more tricks up their sleeve to manipulate.

The stock market does keep pace with inflation. Even if you look at modern industrial countries that have experienced currency collapse/hyperinflation, stock market kept pace and usually beat metals. Personally I'm for a mix of both stocks and metals, I just want to make sure I buy what I buy low.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.