UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Dos Santos is Chuck Liddell like - White

3/30/12 8:25 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
mofit
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://www.espn.co.uk/ufc/sport/story/143619.html

UFC president Dana White has likened Junior Dos Santos to Chuck Liddell, but has questioned whether the Brazilian has the necessary variety to cope with world class kickboxer Alistair Overeem at UFC 146.

Liddell was arguably the most devastating light-heavyweight the UFC has seen and White sees plenty of parallels with Dos Santos, which could spell bad news for Overeem, who was knocked out by Liddell back in 2003.

"For me, the question is how is Dos Santos going to deal with the kicks and the knees and the elbows?" White was quoted as saying by MMAWeekly.

"Since he's been in the UFC, I've never seen him have to deal with that. It's stuff that he's going to have to deal with from Alistair Overeem.

"He's fought a pretty one-dimensional fight, he's fought very Chuck Liddell-like in that he's great at defending the takedown, he drops bombs, he throws heavy punches, but he's never dealt with anybody who's going to throw kicks and knees and work in the clinch the way that Alistair Overeem does.

"I'm real curious to see how Junior Dos Santos is planning on dealing with that."

3/30/12 8:38 AM
Elrond Hubbard
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i wanna see jds throw bombs with no set-ups against overeem.
3/30/12 9:19 AM
The Swinging Richard
524 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Alistair's level of striking is unprecedented in the UFC and I think will ultimately be too much for Junior.
3/30/12 9:32 AM
Synado
41 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Well Chuck Liddell beat Overreem so I guess if JDS has a similar skill set he can do the same.
3/30/12 9:39 AM
Kingtony87
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

from what i've seen of reem I feel like he doesn't do well when pressured and is backing up. I'm interested to see if do santos presses forward or looks to counter. neither is really a guarantee for success though. I am pumped for this fight Phone Post
3/30/12 10:09 AM
ortman166

ENZO007 - JDS wins on speed IMO...

He is going to bomb Overeem outta there in 1. Big punches early.
This. Phone Post
3/30/12 10:11 AM
ortman166

If reem does take this tho I have to say he will have answered all the questions I've had about him and the holes I thought he had. Phone Post
3/30/12 11:53 AM
Herring In A Fur Coat

Yep very similar style to Liddell, and he will knock out Overeem just like Liddell did back then.
3/30/12 11:55 AM
GriffinQ
127 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bigmeech - Reem 2012 has far more better striking then reem 2003. Since 2007-2008 hes been having K1 level striking and only getting better.. If dos Santos pressures him its gonne Be a short night for him reem is an amazing counterstriker. Dos Santos can take it if he waits and takes it easy overeem leaves openings when punching. Anyway can go either way the man with the best gameplan will win. Phone Post
Overeem started off as a kickboxer. Just because he's now big enough to compete against the best of the best in K-1 doesn't mean that he wasn't good enough before Phone Post
3/30/12 1:37 PM
dannyglover

White is Liddell dick so much. The difference is JDS actually boxes. Liddell does kemp karate powershot for shot throwing. Kind of a different thing.
3/30/12 1:40 PM
Harmon Whistler
243 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/30/12 1:43 PM
leque - 
The Swinging Richard - Alistair's level of striking is unprecedented in the UFC and I think will ultimately be too much for Junior.
HOLY FUCK, get off the mans nutsack- immediately.

James lights out toney is the best striker to fight in the UFC- nice try though. Phone Post

I don't even think Toney threw a strike in the UFC. Hard to tell what his level of striking is these days. 
3/30/12 1:41 PM
FUTA WON(c)
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

leque - 
The Swinging Richard - Alistair's level of striking is unprecedented in the UFC and I think will ultimately be too much for Junior.

James lights out toney is the best striker to fight in the UFC- nice try though. Phone Post

You do realize that striking is more than boxing right?????

James Toney is not the best "striker" the UFC has ever seen.
3/30/12 1:51 PM
Harmon Whistler
243 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Shahanshah - JDS has also not been brutally knocked out 6+ times.

6 KO losses in 61 fights isn't really that bad.
3/30/12 2:07 PM
Acidic

Chuck? Chuck wasnt even the 3rd best striker at LHW in MMA.

Hes more like Rampage imo.
3/30/12 2:13 PM
Harmon Whistler

Shahanshah - 
Harmon Whistler - 

well, first of all, 6 KO losses are horrible period.

you do not recover from damage like that, your brain never repairs itself to the point that you can forget about those concussions.

and secondly, yeah, 61 fights, the overwhelming majority of which were against gimme opponents.

Werdum/Brock were the first serious opponents he has faced in MMA in 5+ years.

The 6th KO loss was in kickboxing, so if we're only talking about MMA, than it would be 5.. Saki and Aerts (two of his recent opponents) have 10 and 17 KO losses repsectively, and no one in their right mind would call either of them "chinny".
3/30/12 2:15 PM
Harmon Whistler

leque - 
Harmon Whistler -

Right, but it gets out of hand when people speak about overeem like he's an untouchable infallible striker Phone Post
Yup. I don't think he's untouchable.. his defense isn't really suited for MMA.
3/30/12 3:22 PM
MrBojangles

JDS is too one dimensional standing. Overeem beats him in the clinch and from distance. JDS obviously still has the chance to land that big shot, but what weve seen from Overeems chin the last few years it will take more then one good shot. Even when Badr was landing huge shots on Overeem he never went out
3/30/12 3:33 PM
Harmon Whistler

^ yeah, sorry.. I added tko's by mistake. I think Kyotaro's KO of Aerts probably has more to do with Aerts being 40 fucking years old. Seriously.. he's the Rany Couture of K-1.

I still don't think 6 KO losses are as bad as people are saying.
3/30/12 8:45 PM
The Swinging Richard
524 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/30/12 8:46 PM
leque - 
James lights out toney is the best striker to fight in the UFC- nice try though.
Bitch, you give 10'ers a bad name.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
3/31/12 5:38 AM
KwikTempah

Think he's getting Chuck confused with Vitor Belfort ...... and JDS confused with Phil Baroni . Phone Post
3/31/12 5:51 AM
Acidic

leque - 
FUTA WON(c) -
leque - 

You do realize that striking is more than boxing right?????

James Toney is not the best "striker" the UFC has ever seen.
Another one???? You really think top boxers and top KICKBOXERS are even in the same league. hahahaha

Oh I get it, they have kicks. That must resolve the issue. More tools.... Right Phone Post
l

Key factor is Stance, boxers and kickboxers have different stances. When a kickboxer kicks a boxer the boxer usually ends up tripping or falling due to his stance. If not that the boxers legs are tooken out of him. Also Boxers these days arnt nearly as aggresive as they were before which would give moe time to the kickboxer to do what ever. History also repeats its self kickboxers always slaughter boxers.

Boxers live in  a delusional world somewhat like TOney did. Youre not invincible. Youre not going to land a one hit ko punch against before i kick or shoot in.

3/31/12 6:49 AM
TwoCanVanneDamne
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He's similar to Liddell but IMO he does everything better. I'm leaning towards jds over reem but it really could go either way.
Great fight Phone Post
3/31/12 7:29 AM
Andy the man

Similar to Liddell in the way that he is fed mainly Grapplers, Then is fed a Striker and is sparked out?

Yep, That's the thing they have in common.
3/31/12 9:01 AM
Infamous Ed

I see the similarities in their sprawl n' brawl game but chuck was more of a one shot counterpuncher while JDS is a versatile combination boxer. Phone Post
3/31/12 12:00 PM
Mookie Blaylock
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm uber pumped for this fight.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.