UnderGround Forums

SoundGround >> How to find the right violin instructor?

4/2/12 10:46 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
BarkLikeADog
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bought an electric violin & want to learn how to play it. I already play classical guitar but am still aware that I am going to be a difficult student:

-I am old.
-My schedule changes weekly & can't commit to a specific time.
-I am willing to put up with the kiddy starter bullshit, but only to a point; if the instructor is stuck in a particular method that has me waiting until I master the instrument 20 years from now before I get to play shit I like, I'm out.
-My goal is to learn Jerry Goodman/Jean-Luc Ponty/Mahavishnu fusion stuff, not the traditional classical repertoire.

Where would you start?
4/2/12 10:48 PM
BarkLikeADog

^& maybe some country fiddle stuff for fun while I'm at it.
4/3/12 5:06 PM
DasBeaver
93 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

[quote]
-I am old.
[/quote]

Haha, I feel your pain.
I can't speak for violin, but I'm also pretty difficult and I've gone through a similar thing finding the right guitar teacher.
After many years and many teachers, including one of my early heroes, I think the trick is to find somebody not only with chops but also lot of experience - not some schlub with a degree in music. Also, they need to be able to actually teach! Find players you like and ask them, ask their teachers who taught them, and don't be afraid to move on until you get the right person.

4/3/12 5:42 PM
BarkLikeADog

I mention the age thing specifically because there is a large amount of focus on posture & position in classical string instruments, & that arguably exists mostly to prevent injury & sustain a lifelong career. This is clearly a hobby for me that I don't plan to make any money on, & if my family history is any indication, I only have 15-25 years left, so quite frankly fuck your posture & help me get the notes out of my head & onto your instrument ASAP, thank you very much.

"I totally get it; do you?" is my basic line of thought there, & so far the answer is "no" from the Method Nazis I've met.
4/4/12 9:45 AM
DasBeaver
93 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Be sure to tell your potential teacher, 'Fuck you, I'm old and I'm gonna die!'

What's up with your family history?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.