UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Eddie Bravo: 80% of BJJ useless in MMA

4/3/12 2:22 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1293 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

TapouT Radio: Are you happy that you got a boy?

Eddie Bravo: I thought we were going to have a girl, and we were preparing for that, but when we were looking at the ultrasounds with the doctor, you could see a d*ck, and the doctors saw a d*ck. I asked, 'Are you sure? You sure it wasn't like some part of the placenta?' [laughs] I'm so stoked to have a boy. It's awesome.

I would have liked to have had a girl, too. A girl would have been cool because there would have been no pressure on her. My son's going to have a lot of pressure when he starts doing jiu jitsu. He's only three weeks old, and I'm already trying to figure out the best way to approach the jiu jitsu thing without putting any pressure on him, but with a girl, there would have been zero pressure on her. Everything she would accomplish would be extra. It would have been gravy, you know what I mean?

It's going to be interesting, raising my boy in the jiu jitsu world. He could say, 'Dad, I don't want to f*ckin' do jiu jitsu! I don't wanna do it. I wanna paint, man!' He could easily do that, and it would be cool. Whatever he wants to do, it's all good.

I forget the guy's first name, he's a kettlebells master, but his last name is Maxwell (note: Steve Maxwell). He has a 20 year old son, and whatever he did with his son, is perfect. I want to sit down with him and break it all down and pick his brain. His son, Zach Maxwell, is a black belt in jiu jitsu, and he's pretty badass. He beat Kron (Gracie) last week, and it was pretty impressive. To beat Kron, you've got to be a physical specimen, and mentally, you've got to be a fierce, competitive warrior. People are saying he's the one American that has a legitimate shot at taking the Mundials this year.

It's getting me back into the gi, just hearing about this guy and watching him grapple. I don't usually have that much time to watch gi matches. I've got so much no-gi I've got to watch, I just don't have time, but I am starting to make the time to watch some gi matches with Zach Maxwell. I'm a big fan now. Anyway, my point was that I want to pick Maxwell's brain, and figure out what he did with his son, because he did a perfect job.

TR:  Are there any black belts that you think could successfully make the transition, based on their BJJ skills alone?

EB: Roger Gracie said it himself. He said 'Eighty percent of BJJ is useless in MMA.' When someone is trying to punch you, in MMA, you're forced to play a clinching style of jiu jitsu. If you don't understand the difference between a clinching style and an open style, this will sound like German to you. In MMA, when someone's trying to punch you, you clinch to avoid getting smashed. I believe, in order to optimize your jiu jitsu in MMA, the more you can clinch, and the more you can set up submissions from the clinch, and the more you can set up sweeps from the clinch, the more your game is about clinching the upper body, the better chance you'll have in MMA. That's my opinion.

Read entire article...
Listen to entire interview...

4/3/12 2:25 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Mike Russell
147 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Should read, "Roger Gracie says eighty percent of BJJ is useless in MMA."
4/3/12 2:29 PM
irishrottie
117 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04/03/12 2:29 PM
I would say 80% isnt used but has the potential to be used.

For the most part that is. Demian from his debut to the the fight before Marquardt displayed the most effective bjj ever seen in mma. Since then he has become a boxer unfortunately.
4/3/12 2:30 PM
Crooklyn
805 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Butter, 'cuz I'm on a roll!
Mike Russell -  Should read, "Roger Gracie says eighty percent of BJJ is useless in MMA."

This! And thanks for noticing. I was about to make the same post.  
4/3/12 2:30 PM
ElTriangulo
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

They spelled Roger Gracie horribly wrong.
4/3/12 2:35 PM
Crooklyn
805 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ElTriangulo - They spelled Roger Gracie horribly wrong.

?
4/3/12 2:35 PM
MMApostle
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

4/3/12 2:42 PM
Canooke
158 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"I would have liked to have had a girl, too. A girl would have been cool because there would have been no pressure on her. My son's going to have a lot of pressure when he starts doing jiu jitsu. He's only three weeks old, and I'm already trying to figure out the best way to approach the jiu jitsu thing without putting any pressure on him, but with a girl, there would have been zero pressure on her."

Don't have him compete at all, get him to focus on innovation from the get go.
4/3/12 2:44 PM
12SixElbow
631 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04/03/12 2:43 PM

4/3/12 2:45 PM
UGCTT_EnderTL
269 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

12SixElbow - .....

Yah he probably doesn't know what he's talking about. Phone Post
4/3/12 2:45 PM
stlnl2
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Why would his son have pressure? Was Eddie some sort of world champion? I dont think there will be too much pressure at all compared to what some guys have had to be honest.
4/3/12 2:47 PM
inf0
336 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Crooklyn - 

?
he's saying Roger Gracie is not spelled Eddie Bravo

4/3/12 2:55 PM
haterade

translated:
they don't wear pajamas in ufc
so it dont matter son

4/3/12 3:00 PM
Carne de cavalo é o melhor
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UG news strikes again.
Should have been
"Eddie Bravo agrees with Roger Gracie".

Eddie was quoting someone.

Guess I have to own a traffic-income generated site to "understand". Phone Post
4/3/12 3:17 PM
UGCTT_creepingdeath

Can't help but chuckle at that pic Phone Post
4/3/12 3:19 PM
Crooklyn

inf0 - 
Crooklyn - 

?

Ha! Thanks for that, because I was slow on the uptake there, lol! 
4/3/12 3:21 PM
Crooklyn

inf0 - 
Crooklyn - 

?

LMAO! Thanks for clarifying. I was way too slow on that one, lol!

4/3/12 3:21 PM
JIUJITSUFOREVER

UG will post anything as news to get clicks!! Phone Post
4/3/12 3:55 PM
Crooklyn

Can the UG Blog please fix the title. Eddie Bravo did NOT say that! He quoted somebody else!!! 
4/3/12 4:01 PM
Crooklyn

They fixed it :) Thank you guys! You rock! 
4/3/12 4:07 PM
Bloodstorm

60% of the time it works all the times Phone Post
4/3/12 4:14 PM
UGCTT_EnderTL
269 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

One time in BJJ, I seen a guy remove his belt and use it to choke someone. That shit would never work in MMA.

Also, 100% of gi chokes don't work in MMA.
4/3/12 4:50 PM
bhealthy

bump it up to 90 percent for real fights
4/3/12 5:18 PM
ArmbarKing
111 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

stlnl2 - Why would his son have pressure? Was Eddie some sort of world champion? I dont think there will be too much pressure at all compared to what some guys have had to be honest.

4/3/12 5:33 PM
Juzz

Bloodstorm -  60% of the time it works all the times Phone Post

Half of this game is 90% mental.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.