UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Alistair Overeem's possible replacements: The odds

4/5/12 3:49 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1061 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Alistair Overeem is in all likelihood not going to be fighting JDS at UFC 146, and for marketing reasons the decision on who to replace 'Reem has to be made promptly.

But who?

The most recent possibility is Dan Henderson, who was asked recently on Twitter "Would you take the JDS fight if offered?" Henderson was direct - "For sure.."

The other likely and unlikely possible opponents are handicapped below.

The Likely Pick: Frank Mir
Odds: 2:1

The Darkhorse: Fabricio Werdum
Odds: 4-1

Unlikely: Cain Velasquez
Odds: 8-1

The Longshots

Mark Hunt
Odds: 50-1

Josh Barnett or Daniel Cormier
Odds: 100-1

Fedor Emelianenko
Odds: 100,000-1

Of this group, only the top three are likely to be considered, for obvious reasons. Mir, however, makes the most sense. He's already on the card, he's the first one to step up and volunteer for the spot, and unlike Velasquez, he wasn't on the wrong end of a disastrous knockout loss to dos Santos.

Bottom line: Overeem out, Mir in.

Read entire article...

UFC 146 MAIN CARD
Heavyweight Championship bout: Junior dos Santos vs. ?
Heavyweight bout:  Cain Velasquez vs. Frank Mir
Heavyweight bout: Roy Nelson vs. Antonio Silva
Heavyweight bout: Gabriel Gonzaga vs. Shane Del Rosario
Heavyweight bout: Mark Hunt vs. Stefan Struve

4/5/12 3:59 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Domingo
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mir's easily the best option. I'd prefer Barnett, but after the BS Overeem put DFW through, there's no way in hell he'd go with a guy who pissed hot 3X.
4/5/12 4:01 PM
Motivated Penn
68 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Werdum more likely than Cain...? I don't understand that at all. I would be no more surprised if they go with Cain than if they go with Mir tbh.
4/5/12 4:02 PM
The Swinging Richard
387 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I was really looking forward to Mir v. Velasquez too.
4/5/12 4:06 PM
Fake Pie
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mir. Then put Werdum in for Mir against Velasquez?
4/5/12 4:07 PM
Cotton
637 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I would rather see a long-shot like Hunt or Barry get a random shot. Rocky style.
4/5/12 4:12 PM
Porkchop74
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Let Roy step in and avenge his lost to JDS
4/5/12 4:12 PM
Lessphilling
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Would be really dissapointing to see Cain left out though
4/5/12 4:17 PM
bubkusjones
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04/05/12 4:17 PM
Motivated Penn - Werdum more likely than Cain...? I don't understand that at all. I would be no more surprised if they go with Cain than if they go with Mir tbh.

Werdum's more likely than Cain because, despite both having KO losses to JDS, Cain's loss was his most recent fight, while it's been a couple years for Werdum. Since then, Werdum's beat Bigfoot, Fedor and Nelson, with a sub-par decision loss to Overeem in the middle.
4/5/12 4:18 PM
BooZe
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Werdum is the most likely! He the easiest to promote! He beat Fedor and he has a win over Overeem (back in pride) besides Mir gets ko'ed by jds in the 1st round easily! Cain just got embarrassed by jds so nobody wants to see it this soon! Phone Post
4/5/12 4:19 PM
BooZe

bubkusjones -
Motivated Penn - Werdum more likely than Cain...? I don't understand that at all. I would be no more surprised if they go with Cain than if they go with Mir tbh.

Werdum's more likely than Cain because, despite both having KO losses to JDS, Cain's loss was his most recent fight, while it's been a couple years for Werdum. Since then, Werdum's beat Bigfoot, Fedor and Nelson, with a sub-par decision loss to Overeem in the middle.
Lol great minds think alike Phone Post
4/5/12 4:19 PM
Right Hand JO Power
847 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I want hunt or werdum Phone Post
4/5/12 4:23 PM
Dooky Belt Deluxe
103 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

WTF is everyone calling for Cain? The guy just got decisively KO'd by JDS in highlight fashion... now he works his way back up. Immediate rematches are for controversial fights adn decisions.... nto a 1 minute KO.
4/5/12 4:30 PM
KrzyBnzJnz
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

There is no number one contender right now. If only they could just make 146 a tournament.... would be epic. Phone Post
4/5/12 4:32 PM
Harmon Whistler
230 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I sincerly doubt Barnett will be granted a license.
4/5/12 4:32 PM
CrocopPleaseRetire

Mir will get it and Werdum will fight Cain.
4/5/12 4:39 PM
r_o_y

mir most deserves it but i would really really like to see hunt get it.
4/5/12 4:44 PM
bhealthy

bring in the west virginia ninja. at least he will pass the PED tests
4/5/12 4:46 PM
Motivated Penn
68 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I understand your arguments, but if you consider a Cain vs Werdum fight, most would go with Cain.

Also, Cain is ranked nr 2, while Werdum is ranked nr 4.

But yeah, whatever, JDS vs Werdum would also be a good fight, I just see no way Werdum will win. With Cain at least, there seems to be a fairly even matchup.
4/5/12 4:48 PM
Juzz

The Swinging Richard - I was really looking forward to Mir v. Velasquez too.

And still am, Wish it was Barnett or something.
4/5/12 4:48 PM
Juzz

The Swinging Richard - I was really looking forward to Mir v. Velasquez too.

And still am, Wish it was Barnett or something.
4/5/12 5:23 PM
lifeaftrprison
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BJ PENN should be the replacement. Phone Post
4/5/12 6:24 PM
kevsh
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'd go with Cain too for the simple reason that Overeem/JDS was a huge fight and the closest the UFC can get to that is letting Velasquez step in.

I absolutely agree he doesn't deserve it after the way he lost and yes he needs to work his way back into a title fight. But if I'm paying to watch this card, I'd be far more hyped for Cain than Mir.
4/5/12 6:30 PM
NotDonFrye

It'll be Mir, Joe Silva's college buddy... But why isn't Hendo at least a name being thrown around here? He's a more interesting long shot than Hunt or Fedor imho, and is already waiting for a title shot. Yes of course he'd probably lose, but listen: Dan is already going down in the record books as a great. If he somehow pulled off a victory versus JDS, he'd instantly be in consideration for "greatest of all time" status. Any competitive person can appreciate that opportunity.
4/5/12 6:42 PM
swany

Give the match to hunt , Mir yes had an amazing sub against nog but in truth , Mir was one or 2 seconds away from a tko loss .... Give the match to hunt , yet he probably isn't number one contender but hey it would we an awesome fight , Cain just lost , and Mir will prob get it .... But I'd love to see hunt given the chance

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.