UnderGround Forums

SoundGround >> talk me out of a new guitar..please

4/6/12 11:20 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Ze Dano
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Im finally in a financial position to buy another guitar...one that I have wanted forever.

I've had a boner for an Ernie Ball/Music man Axis since the days of EVH endorsing them (maybe not the exact same guitar, but you know what I mean)

I really don't need it, as I have quite a stable as it is:
-Les Paul Heritage Standard 80
-Les Paul 3 piece flametop
-American Standard Tele
-Classic Vibe Tele
-Road Worn Strat
plus a couple of acoustics, a banjo, a mandolin, etc

Talk me out of dropping $1800 bones...please!
4/7/12 8:45 AM
DasBeaver
93 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hows this, Music Man guitars are for hobbyists with too much money and no taste in instruments.
4/7/12 10:35 PM
Ze Dano
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

LOL!!!!!

So it is written, so it shall be
4/8/12 2:53 PM
DasBeaver
93 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Haha, glad I could help. Just don't tell Albert Lee!
4/9/12 12:29 AM
Ali
667 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yeah, well, Albert Lee. Whatever. An Englishman playing country? Of course he needs an ersatz guitar.

Besides, he made a living for a while trying to fool people into thinking Clapton was sounding really good.

[Note: *I will defend none of these statements if challenged*]
4/10/12 2:21 AM
Ze Dano

OK OK!!

Albert Lee is a bad mama jama no doubt...can't get into the look of his signature model tho....luckily his playing supercedes that barfed out strat thingy
4/10/12 10:06 AM
DasBeaver

Ok, in my defence that's what I think of when I hear musicman guitars.

Ali - Yeah, well, Albert Lee. Whatever. An Englishman playing country? Of course he needs an ersatz guitar.

Besides, he made a living for a while trying to fool people into thinking Clapton was sounding really good.

Let me get this straight, an English country player fooled people into thinking an English blues player sounded good?
4/10/12 8:21 PM
Ali
667 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yes, actually. (That part is true. Some people. Those who thought Clapton was playing when it was his hired ringer -- I'm not sayin' Clapton was finger-syncing.
4/11/12 5:58 PM
DasBeaver

That's interesting, any idea what he played on?
4/11/12 6:43 PM
Ze Dano

I'd guess Lay Down Sally?
4/12/12 8:43 AM
DasBeaver

I think your right:

"You played with Eric Clapton for five years and played on a number of his albums [Just One Night, Another Ticket, Money and Cigarettes] in the early 1980s. How much input did you have into the recording sessions?

I had quite a bit of input actually, as everybody was contributing to everything at the time. Eric may not have been in his top form, contribution wise, because he was drinking, but he was definitely playing great and there were moments of brilliance there."

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/interviews/interviews/albert_lee_i_had_something_to_do_with_page_being_associated_with_les_pauls.html

Now the only question is how did Clapton make the switch from Blues Noodler, to all around boring guitarist?
4/22/12 9:36 AM
asbury
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

sounds cool. im currently looking at the johnny marr jaguar signiture model, it is dope and places and sounds great. im also looking at the vintage reissue jaguar, the 62 or 57 strat reissues, and the 62 jazzmaster reissue. i currently have a 52 tele reissue with fender ov pups that i love. run that all through a a little vibro champ or princeton reverb with the occasionally fuzz, snd delay / modulated reverb with a volume pedal and youre makin some great tone.
5/2/12 12:03 PM
Racer X
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Why not something unique?

Something that is exactly the combination of elements you choose.

Maybe start from scratch,

and create something distinctive.

Just tryin' to help!  ;)

5/3/12 10:13 AM
asbury

fuck yeah racer x.

btw theres a new fender pawn shop series guitar out. it's the first one of the series i've liked aesthetically. i mention it because your semi hollow tele shape with humbuckers reminded me of it.

i think it's gonna go for around $1000. must be MIM.

http://youtu.be/HzDcm5wlhlM
5/7/12 11:32 PM
T-Man

the axis pickups sound fucking awesome. you should definitely get one.
5/9/12 12:58 AM
Ze Dano

You know what? I did get the Axis...its pretty awesome..happy I did it. It's the amber finish...the top is average, certainly not an AAAAA top, but some decent curl to it.

RacerX, I can appreciate your work...I was a builder for years. But like I said earlier, this is an axe I've always wanted, so fuck it...I got it.
5/11/12 12:12 PM
Racer X
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05/11/12 12:12 PM
 Cool, enjoy your new toy! :) 
I was just using this as an excuse to post pics. ;)

5/15/12 10:34 PM
Ze Dano

anytime man..you built some great looking (and I'm sure playing/sounding) pieces!
5/26/12 6:58 PM
JudoBJJKid

Edited: 05/26/12 6:59 PM
Explore some new territory, get a 7 string. :)

http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z348/ippongear/Stuff/67-Ippon-2AttentionWhores-23s.jpg

http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z348/ippongear/Amps/Diezel%20Herbert%202/48-Ippon-MBRoadKingIILTDSC607B-12ws.jpg

:)
5/28/12 6:30 PM
Racer X

If anybody wants a 7 string, I have one I'll sell for $200. It's an Ibanez AX 7221.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.