UnderGround Forums

Oklahoma Underground >> Wounded Warrior Project

4/10/12 12:13 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
TRITON
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

We started a Wounded Warrior Project at our facility where every combat veteran that is 80%-100% disabled gets to train for FREE.

This program to designed to give veterans a place to feel empowered and honored.

For more info please visit tritonfightcenter.com. Thank you and let's support our troops. Phone Post
4/12/12 7:27 PM
Zilla2000

That is outstanding. You are doing a great things over there Piet. Triton is quickly becoming one of the most respected gyms in this part of the country. It's amazing to see how you've grown.
4/13/12 1:14 AM
TRITON

I guess it's because I have learned from true tons of mistakes I have made along the way. ;-) Phone Post
4/13/12 1:36 AM
LARRY SROCK

Not to sound like an asshole or anything but if they ate 100% disabled how can they possibly do bjj? Phone Post
4/13/12 8:26 AM
Stunpals
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hey Larry, you sound like an asshole!
4/13/12 8:31 AM
jujitsujamo
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Its a great thing to do to give back to our soldiers that have sacrificed for our freedoms. Big respect to Piet for doing this.

Just because someone is disabled does not mean they cannot participate in a martial art. Staying active and learning self defense as well as keeping the mind active is very helpful to anyone regardless of their condition. They may never fight in the UFC or win the Mundials but that does not mean they should not be allowed to participate Larry. Each person can work to the best of their abilities. They will find strengths and weaknesses and will adjust the art to compensate for each.

Too many people look at BJJ and MMA as a sport and are only concerned with that aspect. But the sport side should actually be a very small aspect. The goal of Martial Arts is to enrich peoples lives and that is what Piet is doing. Phone Post
4/13/12 10:48 AM
OKMike

JJJ has shamed Larry Srock here!
4/13/12 4:25 PM
LARRY SROCK

I get the point. And I agree bjj is a sport/activity for almost everyone. But I thought 100% disabled meant 100%

Maybe I'm misinformed on the definition. Kudos to piet and his students. I do agree it's a good thing. Phone Post
4/13/12 11:07 PM
Zilla2000

I get what Larry's sayin. 100% disabled sounds like someone that is completely paralyzed or something. Obviously they would not be able to do Jiu Jitsu so that can't be right.

I think it is more of a military rating with their pay. If you have several disabilities, they can add up to equal a higher total percentage. There are people with 100% disability that still have jobs.

Any military guys out there able to explain it more?
4/13/12 11:44 PM
LARRY SROCK

Please. I never speak bad to people. I'm not programmed that way. Phone Post
4/14/12 12:40 AM
TRITON

The VA does disability raring based on many things ranging from psychological to physical. I've known vets that are mentally 100% disabled from PTSD. Others missing limbs. Phone Post
4/16/12 11:56 PM
PussyGaloreFightTeam

what JJ says is true. NO matter how disabled you are, martial arts training can help somewhere in that area. It's about conditioning the body and moving it in it's blueprint-planned design to perform martial arts.

anybody can do martial arts.

Even a blind man can do martial arts and kick some ass. Did not Bruce Lee write a movie script for the "Blind Swordsman"?

Bruce lee would say, "Pray not that things get easier, but that you get tougher".

This is essential to martial arts training. Its about making them tougher.

Even though Bruce Lee was a Taoist, a Christian version can be "He who is in us is greater than he that was in the world".
4/17/12 1:07 PM
45forever
380 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This idea is awesome.totally nothing but respect and admiration for you Phone Post
4/17/12 5:00 PM
TRITON

It is turning out well. Currently have about 10 vets enrolled. Phone Post
5/27/12 12:48 PM
TheeSenator
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Awesome Piet. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.