UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> President Roosevelt on wrestling vs Jiu Jitsu

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

4/10/12 8:03 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
dudefromisrael
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

1905:

I still box with Grant, who has now become the champion middleweight wrestler of the United States. Yesterday afternoon we had Professor Yamashita up here to wrestle with Grant. It was very interesting, but of course jiu jitsu and our wrestling are so far apart that it is difficult to make any comparison between them. Wrestling is simply a sport with rules almost as conventional as those of tennis, while jiu jitsu is really meant for practice in killing or disabling our adversary. In consequence, Grant did not know what to do except to put Yamashita on his back, and Yamashita was perfectly content to be on his back. Inside of a minute Yamashita had choked Grant, and inside of two minutes more he got an elbow hold on him that would have enabled him to break his arm; so that there is no question but that he could have put Grant out. So far this made it evident that the jiu jitsu man could handle the ordinary wrestler. But Grant, in the actual wrestling and throwing was about as good as the Japanese, and he was so much stronger that he evidently hurt and wore out the Japanese. With a little practice in the art I am sure that one of our big wrestlers or boxers, simply because of his greatly superior strength, would be able to kill any of those Japanese, who though very good men for their inches and pounds are altogether too small to hold their own against big, powerful, quick men who are as well trained. 

http://www.bartleby.com/53/59.html 
4/10/12 8:06 PM
UGCTT_ZJJitsu705
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

the inception of MMA weightclasses 
4/10/12 8:07 PM
GCT
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

prepare for a shitstorm. I think it was e.kaye here, who asserted that this letter was fabricated and not actually from Roosevelt himself. Yes, I know, he's pretty ridiculous at times.
4/10/12 8:09 PM
dudefromisrael
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GCT - prepare for a shitstorm. I think it was e.kaye here, who asserted that this letter was fabricated and not actually from Roosevelt himself. Yes, I know, he's pretty ridiculous at times.

Really? I knew it was kind of old news, but I had no idea it was proved as a fake. Can someone elaborate?

4/10/12 8:10 PM
AmblingAlp

Wow that's a great find. And it's not fake, he wrote that.
4/10/12 8:12 PM
GCT

dudefromisrael - 
GCT - prepare for a shitstorm. I think it was e.kaye here, who asserted that this letter was fabricated and not actually from Roosevelt himself. Yes, I know, he's pretty ridiculous at times.

Really? I knew it was kind of old news, but I had no idea it was proved as a fake. Can someone elaborate?

<br type="_moz" />

no,no,no,no....I'm saying that e.kaye or whoever else it was is pretty insane for suggesting that there's a conspiracy relating to the president's own personal letters being forged for the sole purpose of glorifying japanese martial arts.

personal letters, not public ones.
4/10/12 8:13 PM
greenseed
274 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cool, thx
4/10/12 8:14 PM
Entreri

No amount of martial arts is going to save you from a Silverback.
4/10/12 8:39 PM
Don Brodka
133 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Whenever asked the question "What historical figure would you wanna fight?" I always answered Teddy Roosevelt. The quote above confirms my suspicions that Teddy was in fact a badass.
4/10/12 8:50 PM
MountainMedic
1099 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Snorelord - He was JKD before Bruce Lee and he was MMA before UFC, before Vale Tudo.Hell he was a martial art champion before Ip Man (Bruce Lee's wing chun master was even born)

Zombie Teddy Roosevelt 2012 and next UFC welter weight champ!
Fun fact-He taught segal the front kick. Phone Post
4/10/12 8:54 PM
Old noob
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Don Brodka - The quote above confirms my suspicions that Teddy was in fact a badass.

In The Imperial Cruise: A Secret History of Empire and War James Bradley strongly asserts the contrary. TR was raised a wealthy momma's boy with asthma and the image of him as a rugged mountaineer were just that-an image. He was a master of propaganda.
4/10/12 8:54 PM
Kostakio
919 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RyannVonDoom - Interesting to say the least.
Yeah, definitely. Phone Post
4/10/12 9:07 PM
khd29

Never saw this before. Interesting he called it JJ, though. TR was rumored to receive a brown belt in judo, not JJ.

Rough Riders!!!
4/10/12 9:35 PM
Black Belt Wrestling

TRT
4/10/12 10:51 PM
Spidermonkey
152 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

For later
4/11/12 12:51 AM
Unseen
207 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If there is anyone who actually deserves to have a cult worshipping him it is TR.
4/11/12 12:58 AM
Ezekiel

So ppl are saying he's a bad mo fo. Others r saying he was a fraud. Can someone post quotes from legit web sources and booms Phone Post
4/11/12 1:07 AM
DamnSevern
1216 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

White House, March 5, 1904.

DEAR KERMIT:. . . . . . . .I am wrestling with two Japanese wrestlers three times a week. I am not the age or the build one would think to be whirled lightly over an opponent's head and batted down on a mattress without damage. But they are so skilful that I have not been hurt at all. My throat is a little sore, because once when one of them had a strangle hold I also got hold of his windpipe and thought I could perhaps choke him off before he could choke me. However, he got ahead.

White House, April 9, 1904.

DEAR TED:I am very glad I have been doing this Japanese wrestling, but when I am through with it this time I am not at all sure I shall ever try it again while I am so busy with other work as I am now. Often by the time I get to five o'clock in the afternoon I will be feeling like a stewed owl, after an eight hours' grapple with Senators, Congressmen, etc.; then I find the wrestling a trifle too vehement for mere rest. My right ankle and my left wrist and one thumb and both great toes are swollen sufficiently to more or less impair their usefulness, and I am well mottled with bruises elsewhere. Still I have made good progress, and since you left they have taught me three new throws that are perfect corkers.
4/11/12 1:11 AM
inf0
390 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

sounds like he had a thing for asian dudes

4/11/12 1:17 AM
DamnSevern
1216 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

A JAPANESE BOY'S LETTER

(To Dr. William Sturgis Bigelow)

White House, Jan. 14, 1905.

DEAR STURGIS:Last year, when I had Professor Yamashita teach me the "Jiudo"—as they seem now to call Jiu Jitsu—the naval attache here, Commander Takashita, used to come around here and bring a young lad, Kitgaki, who is now entering Annapolis. I used to wrestle with them both. They were very fond of Archie and were very good to him. This Christmas Kitgaki sent from Annapolis a little present to Archie, who wrote to thank him, and Kitgaki sent him a letter back that we like so much that I thought you might enjoy it, as it shows so nice a trait in the Japanese character. It runs as follows:"My dearest boy:"I received your nice letter. I thank you ever so much. I am very very glad that you have receive my small present."I like you very very much. When I have been in Jiudo room with your father and you, your father was talking to us about the picture of the cavalry officer. In that time, I saw some expression on your face. Another remembering of you is your bravery when you sleped down from a tall chair. The two rememberings can't leave from my head
4/11/12 1:51 AM
G-Hands
69 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

very cool quote.
4/11/12 2:08 AM
DamnSevern

I think its a response to this article that appeared in the May 1905 issue of The Cosmopolitan.

A1-2.jpg
a2-2.jpg
a3-1.jpg

a38.jpg

4/11/12 2:15 AM
DamnSevern

4/11/12 2:20 AM
the people's cecil
69 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

4/11/12 2:21 AM
the people's cecil

DamnSevern - 

voted up

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.