UnderGround Forums

Kickboxing UnderGround >> beginner thai kick question

4/11/12 5:02 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
grrr
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

When Throwing the round kick do I turn my hips and then pivot my foot when my leg foot is ready to come off the floor out or should I start the pivot when I start turning my hips and shoulders?Everybody says pivot but kinda lost when your are supposed to do it.
4/12/12 7:43 AM
Khun Kao
1407 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Pivot the support leg/foot first. That's where your pivot should start, and it "drags" the hip, then leg through the target.
4/13/12 8:49 AM
grrr
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks for the response but im still kind of lost if you can help break it down more. So im just starting to pivot my support leg out first and then turn my hips and shoulder and then turn hips over right?Im familliar with the more step 45 flat footed way of doing it, like bas rutten shows it in his video here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBlnD_Bi5fw
4/13/12 8:57 AM
Ryukyu Damashi
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xMBirBi7nE

4/13/12 9:45 AM
Khun Kao
1407 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04/13/12 9:51 AM
grrr - Thanks for the response but im still kind of lost if you can help break it down more. So im just starting to pivot my support leg out first and then turn my hips and shoulder and then turn hips over right?

Yes. This is correct. Look at the video Ryukyu Damashi posted. Even though you can't see Pot's feet, you can see how his support leg rotates and "pulls" the rest of the body into the rotation.

Im familliar with the more step 45 flat footed way of doing it, like bas rutten shows it in his video here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBlnD_Bi5fw

That's not a Muay Thai kick. That is a Kyokushin kick. While the Kyokushin kick is very SIMILAR to the Muay Thai kick, and is ALSO very powerful, it is still a different kick.

The Kyokushin kick relies more on the power of the legs and hips, which over the course of a fight will lead to more muscle fatigue, which results in sloppier technique and less powerful kicks as the fight progresses. Also, the Kyokushin kick exerts more pressure on the knee. When you're flat-footed, the rotational power of the kick focuses on the knee joint, which can lead to injuries. Bas Ruten himself often wears a knee brace.

The Muay Thai kick generates its power more through rotational force rather than the power of the legs and hips. Yes, the legs and hips are used to generate the power, but once the body starts moving, the rotation takes over. You stay on the ball of the foot to allow the impact of the kick to continue through the target... essentially you want the power of the kick to "flow" through the target. The advantage is that not only are you using less muscle power to kick in this fashion, but it take a lot of pressure/stress off of the support leg (knee).
4/13/12 9:52 AM
Khun Kao

I'm HOPING my description makes sense!
4/13/12 9:55 AM
Ryukyu Damashi
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I shot this video last week in Thailand. Watch how this kid rotates his hips. He has one of the most beautiful kicks I have seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puAb8bZ04vY
4/13/12 10:17 AM
Khun Kao

That's a wicked kick! I love the "ankle pick" he does!
8/11/12 9:15 PM
Ringworm74
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Please put up a link on the kick, as i do the bas rutten style kick. Phone Post
8/12/12 4:10 PM
Ryukyu Damashi

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f12VMHoZ3K8

Ongree SinbiMuayThai kicing pads with a proper Thai round kick
8/13/12 9:41 AM
Khun Kao

8/13/12 9:42 AM
Khun Kao

Ryukyu...

Will you be reposting all the vids from your old channel?
8/13/12 10:44 AM
Ryukyu Damashi

I'll be reposting most of them. Youtube lets me upload up to a hour of video now, so I'll likely edit many of the related videos together.

I uploaded a 45 minute video of Saenchai clinching, but it is really two seperate clinching sessions edited together.
8/14/12 3:26 PM
Khun Kao

Excellent!!!! Your work is MUCH appreciated!!!
8/14/12 11:14 PM
Ringworm74
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks guys, iv been stepping a bit wider with my lead leg!! Phone Post
8/18/12 3:04 AM
TexasThai
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

love the video of that kid kicking the crap out of those pads.....makes me fall in love with Muay Thai all over again. cant wait to get home and start training again.

TT
8/31/12 5:27 AM
MIKE CIESNOLEVICZ
41 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Top Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.