UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Gustafsson vs. Silva

4/14/12 9:04 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
916 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Performing in front of his hometown fans in Stockholm, the rangy Swede handled the pressure and dominated Thiago Silva for the duration of their UFC on FUEL 2 main event fight, earning a unanimous decision by scores of 30-27, 30-27 and 29-28.

Using his vast reach advantage, Gustafsson kept Silva on the outside for most of the fight, and made him pay when he waded into striking range. His first round was his best round, as Gustafsson came out storming early, flooring Silva with an uppercut. He later hurt him with a flurry against the fence, and though he wasn't able to finish, the momentum carried him through the fight.

"It was bad," Silva said afterward. "I couldn't feel my legs but I did my job. I tried to push as much as I could. Alexander is a tough guy. I couldn't find the distance. He deserved the victory. What else can I say?"

read entire article...

Thiago Silva Vs. Alexander Gustafsson
Fight was scheduled for 3 rounds (5x5x5)
Name Thiago Silva Thiago Silva
Height 6′ 2″ (187.96 cm)
Weight 205 (92.99 kg)
Record 16-2-0
Team World Fight Center
VS
Name Alexander Gustafsson Alexander Gustafsson
Height 6′ 5″ (195.58 cm)
Weight 205 (92.99 kg)
Record 13-1-0
Team  

Alexander Gustafsson defeated Thiago Silva via Unanimous Decision (30-27, 30-27, 29-28)

4/14/12 9:48 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
UGCTT_FryedTakayama
747 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Calling it for Gustafsson TKO rd 1. Phone Post
4/14/12 9:56 AM
UGCTT_chuckles1
174 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sub Phone Post
4/14/12 10:07 AM
Hungry4Stink
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't get the Gustafsson hype. He's beat a frenchman, a fish(!?), a deaf guy and a janitor. And now they give him a freakin bongo player.
4/14/12 10:09 AM
UGCTT_El Pescadero
1946 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I got Thiago at plus 175... Tough fight to call but couldn't resist the return on Silva. Think these odds should be a lot closer... Like -125 Gus and plus 105 Silva!!

Thiago via 2nd round TKO

War my money!!!!! Phone Post
4/14/12 10:55 AM
UGCTT_Fraser_Finlay
224 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gustaffson takes this. Phone Post
4/14/12 11:16 AM
PestApocalypse
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gustafsson wins it. Med blåa bollar! Phone Post
4/14/12 11:37 AM
RepsOne
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Silva wins by scariest stare in mma. Phone Post
4/14/12 12:00 PM
Scott Rotem

The Mauler is going places after this fight.
4/14/12 12:09 PM
sextoymagic

One of the most exciting match ups possible. And I get to miss it because it's on vs Phone Post
4/14/12 12:10 PM
sextoymagic

Not vs but fuel Phone Post
4/14/12 1:04 PM
RyKat82

Scott Rotem - The Mauler is going places after this fight.

Yeah, to the Hospital or Graveyard ! Thiago Silva wins by KO or Decapatation !
4/14/12 1:15 PM
Jayd

I dont see why silva is the underdog? I expect a silva win in the 1st. Phone Post
4/14/12 1:43 PM
Joe Sons nuts

People are underestimating Silva. Dude almost knocked out Evans in that loss. I don't ever remember him being an easy fight for anyone besides Machida.
4/14/12 1:52 PM
UGCTT_El Pescadero
1946 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Joe Sons nuts - People are underestimating Silva. Dude almost knocked out Evans in that loss. I don't ever remember him being an easy fight for anyone besides Machida.
Exactly why I felt it was worth it to throw a little coin on him.

Also when I heard Gust say there was no way he could lose in front of his countrymen... It smelled like a jinx to me! But I'm just an egg who likes to bet underdogs... Especially when I feel the line is off! Phone Post
4/14/12 1:54 PM
Body Shots
94 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I really like Gustaffson but Silva is nasty!! Phone Post
4/14/12 1:55 PM
BallaMMA
92 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thiago silva via rd 2 TKO Phone Post
4/14/12 2:03 PM
BrckNoHitBk
45 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gustafsson can't even sit down back there. Walking in circles...this is going to be good.
4/14/12 2:19 PM
rexthedog

Joe Sons nuts - People are underestimating Silva. Dude almost knocked out Evans in that loss. I don't ever remember him being an easy fight for anyone besides Machida.

and Houston Alexander
4/14/12 2:53 PM
jkennedy
73 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thiago by smashing. Phone Post
4/14/12 3:06 PM
Got MMAlk
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I predict gustaf by ease. Just my opinion. Phone Post
4/14/12 3:07 PM
Jamiee

I have no idea why any knowledgeable MMA observers would favor Thiago Silva against Alexander Gustafsson (maybe because Thiago is scary-looking and has been around longer so his name is better known?)

Exposure and notoriety aside, when you break down the match-up objectively based on their skill-sets, Gustafsson is simply the superior fighter.

With or without layoff factor, Gustafsson is simply the more technical striker. He's also much more nimble on the feet while possessing faster hands. Mauler also has very good TDD and scrambling ability to shut down Thiago's attempts to grapple.

This is a nightmare matchup for Thiago Silva. Gustafsson will finish him via strikes
4/14/12 3:13 PM
jkennedy
73 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jamiee - I have no idea why any knowledgeable MMA observers would favor Thiago Silva against Alexander Gustafsson (maybe because Thiago is scary-looking and has been around longer so his name is better known?)

Exposure and notoriety aside, when you break down the match-up objectively based on their skill-sets, Gustafsson is simply the superior fighter.

With or without layoff factor, Gustafsson is simply the more technical striker. He's also much more nimble on the feet while possessing faster hands. Mauler also has very good TDD and scrambling ability to shut down Thiago's attempts to grapple.

This is a nightmare matchup for Thiago Silva. Gustafsson will finish him via strikes

Guess we'll see eh?
4/14/12 3:48 PM
Dopestdope
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think Gust wins this easy.
4/14/12 5:14 PM
ds1970
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hoping Silva does well.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.