UnderGround Forums

TMA UnderGround >> Blackbelt magazine

4/14/12 3:14 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
de braco
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Was moving boxes and stopped to flip thru some old issues
4/14/12 3:18 PM
de braco
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

4/14/12 3:23 PM
de braco

4/14/12 3:27 PM
de braco

Anyone remember this character?

4/15/12 10:20 PM
de braco

Buehler..............Buehler................
4/20/12 1:06 PM
UGCTT_RickStorm
1882 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, Moderator
 Those are awesome... I remember a few of them
4/25/12 2:05 PM
Outkaster
54 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Those are not even old. I had some from the late 1970's right up till about 2000. I sold them off E-bay for nothing really. A lot of memories are tied up with those subscriptions. There was no Internet so you looked forward to that magazine.
4/26/12 9:16 AM
JasonKeaton
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I remember all of them! MOAR!
4/26/12 7:00 PM
de braco

Outkaster - Those are not even old. I had some from the late 1970's right up till about 2000. I sold them off E-bay for nothing really. A lot of memories are tied up with those subscriptions. There was no Internet so you looked forward to that magazine.

I have them going back to 75 or 76. I haven't looked at those in many years
4/26/12 8:47 PM
de braco

5/6/12 2:01 AM
shen
926 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

$59.00 each for "Secrets of the Octagon".

Man, I bought those back in the day.

Sold them at a garage sale for $5.
5/10/12 5:31 PM
jrrrrr
320 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The most recent BB (has guy with 2 sticks on cover) has instructor Ralph Mitchell being interviewed by Mark Jacobs.

One of my instructors trained under Ralph years ago and I had trained a little with him. Good interview...Ralph is the real deal,very knowledgeable and good person. Mark has a great MA book out called The Principles of unarmed combat. It was good reading....
5/26/12 6:56 PM
WidespreadPanic
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'd have loved to have had this book back in the late 70s, early 80s when I was developing the concept of ranges of fighting. He covers transitions and ground fighting, strategy and tactics. The only thing he doesn't cover very well is an over-all understanding of how to train, how to use the range against your opponent, what the various delivery systems are for using range and how to functionalize your moves. He could do an accessory book and talk about training with gear and equipment and how to make your drills more alive, include some weapons work. Of course, you can't learn fighting from a book.

But, having said that, with this book you can look at your current training and analyze what your weak spots might be, where you have holes in your game.

Back in the day we thought that doing a kick-punch, no contact type of fighting, with emphasis on control (just barely not hitting your opponent) was the apex of fighting. But now we know you need contact, you need to grapple and learn takedowns and how to penetrate or you can get stuffed in your stand up. Being able to see it in black and white in a book would eliminate a lot of the guess work.

Now, I'm not so sure this book is going to be a help to the people who are training MMA-style fighting - they should be getting all this already.

6/8/12 12:32 PM
Outkaster
54 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Well I would rather have some control. It’s easier to go full force actually but people get hurt in class. I have a lot of over-zealous dicks in the MMA class that end up hurting people. It’s easier to have learned control and then apply more force, even in Judo which I practice now.
6/12/12 3:05 PM
Stickgrappler
1839 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

just in case anyone on this thread or lurkers didn't know

google books has black belt online for free viewing... first issue up through and including 2004. 2005 to current are not up.

great resource!
6/12/12 3:14 PM
WidespreadPanic
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Outkaster - Well I would rather have some control. It’s easier to go full force actually but people get hurt in class. I have a lot of over-zealous dicks in the MMA class that end up hurting people. It’s easier to have learned control and then apply more force, even in Judo which I practice now.
Can you figure out how to have optimal contact in the various ranges while not injuring your partner?

In the boxing range you have headgear, mouthpieces, boxing gloves, forearm pads, footpads, shinguards, and a referee and you work in a ring with a mat on the floor. You don't put partners in there with widely disparate ability, or you have one guy who is very good exercising a lot of control and you explain how it's more about positioning than loading up your punches.

In the groundfighting range you have the tap, headgear (ear guards), and 'catch and release' style grappling.

In the stickfighting range you also use gear and gradually reduce it, and you use smaller diameter sticks at first.

So, though non-contact sparring has its benefits, the best methods use controlled contact and gear.

6/15/12 2:23 PM
Outkaster

Exactly but that's almost never how it goes.
6/16/12 2:37 AM
McLeod
96 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I (sadly) had my dorm room door plastered with those in college. I think about it now, and think : "REALLY?"
6/17/12 9:36 PM
de braco

1985 Kiai add before becoming panther productions 
6/17/12 9:55 PM
de braco

A few pages before the panther add. Invented the octagon and banged Appolonia. The 80's rocked for that guy 
6/19/12 7:17 PM
shen
926 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

McLeod - I (sadly) had my dorm room door plastered with those in college. I think about it now, and think : "REALLY?"

LOL!
6/19/12 7:22 PM
shen

I had a few hundred Black Belt / Inside Kung Fu/ Kick Illustrated magazines collected from 6th grade until about college.

I threw them all out one summer.

They are so stupid, but I miss them. :(

But as Stickgrapper mentioned, you can see tons of BB Mags on Google books, which is awesome. I love reading the really early ones.
6/26/12 3:25 AM
Liyon
129 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I remember being 16 and seeing this issue of Karate Kung-fu Illustrated at the local supermarket and nearly shitting my pants!!!! It actually showed you how to do the moves!!

http://ma-mags.com/Mags/KKFI/KKFI%201995-06%20Cov.jpg

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.