UnderGround Forums

GolfGround >> Wedge question

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

4/15/12 9:24 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
ghost842
95 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've just started golfing about a year ago and am having some issues with my short game about 20 yards out. I've been using my pitching wedge, even when I get close to the pin I get to much roll, or if I hurry I nearly overshoot the green. My question is should I try a different wedge? I was thinking about a lob wedge but reading other golf sites they make it sound like a sand wedge is the way to go for beginners. Any thoughts suggestions?
4/16/12 12:31 AM
Bad Monkey
136 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04/16/12 12:33 AM
 I personally got a gap wedge and a sand wedge and it has helped my short game out a ton.  Adding a lob wedge isn't off the table for me either.  Be sure to get a good wedge that has some teeth.  My first SW was a cheapo which was better than nothing, but got kicked out of the bag after a few months in favor of a forged wedge with square grooves.  

Full disclosure, I'm not that good at golf (16hcp) so take my input with a grain of salt.
4/16/12 7:41 PM
ghost842
95 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

thanks, all the golf tips I read say I should start with a sand wedge so I guess I should start there and see were that gets me
5/6/12 3:40 AM
THE DEAN
48 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Relaxed grip, short and relaxed backswing, and think of turning the belt buckle of your pants directly toward your target through impact.

If done correctly...this will product a high, soft shot.

Sand and lob wedge will help for sure...you just can't really hit the kind of shot you are looking for with a PW.

Same exact idea for hitting out of the sand expect for a couple small adjustments during the set-up.
5/7/12 9:43 AM
Animal Chin
153 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

you're probably closing the face through impact if you're getting too much roll. just keep the face open through impact and you'll get more spin. when you come through the ball just keep the face pointed to the sky.

also, move you feet closer together and open your stance and have your weight 60/40 with the 60 on the front.
6/15/12 11:23 AM
The Elastic Assassin
88 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

mess around with where in your stance you put the ball, your stance itself (open/closed) and the opening and closing of the club face.....

but u carry 4 wedges, sooo...PW, GW, SW, LW

actually m ineed a new gap wedge.....mine is too close to my sand wedge....

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.