UnderGround Forums

Judo/Sambo UnderGround >> I had have enough of US Judo milking its players

4/16/12 6:26 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
gbutts
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have had enough of US Judo bullshit and milking its judo players for money.

I sent this email to US Judo and I suggest that every coach, player and parent send them an email.

Hi Jim !

I Don't understand this:
Training Camp at US Olympic Training Center, Colorado Springs, CO August 14-19 (this will be a required training camp for the individuals who will compete in the Junior Pan American Championships in September in Guatemala. In addition, it will be available to all other USA Judo IJF Jr and JuvB roster athletes who wish to participate.)

Is it not enough to have parents spending money on their kids/players to chase points across the country? My kids and I'm sure other players who are ranked #1 or will be ranked #1 cannot attended this camp because of school, time constraints, money. Is there a waiver for this camp (meaning they don't have to attend because they meet a certain criteria)? I don't understand how this camp became a requirement and why does US Judo think attending a 4 day camp is so critical to help this team or its players. My daughters have been on several Jr Pan American teams and medalled and they did not have attend a training camp prior to competing. I also don't understand why this announcement was not made at the beginning of the year before parents and coaches started chasing points all over the country. Does US judo want the best players at the Jr Pan American or do want whoever can attend a training camp? Is US Judo going to pay the players airfare and their expenses for this camp and what about the kids' parent is US Judo going to pay for their housing; with the all incidents concerning kids and US Judo I would think that parent attendance would be a requirement for JunB players.

It seems that every year US Judo comes up with some new requirement that burdens the players, coaches, and parents. I and others (players, coaches, and parents) have had enough of mid-year changes! I think a training camp is wonderful but it should not be mandatory unless it was announced at the beginning of the year and US Judo pays for the player expenses to attend this camp.

Thanks for listening

Gary Butts
4/16/12 6:35 PM
judoblackbelt
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gary, will be intereting to hear the comments from others whose kids are national level players. We have 4/5 juniors at our dojo who Natioinal level juniors and I will ask the parents and try to get a response so I can post it.
4/16/12 6:37 PM
gbutts
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

judoblackbelt - Gary, will be intereting to hear the comments from others whose kids are national level players. We have 4/5 juniors at our dojo who Natioinal level juniors and I will ask the parents and try to get a response so I can post it.

Thanks, this stuff has to stop.
4/17/12 5:22 PM
PoWdA101
385 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I live an hour from the OTC so this wouldn't bother me but I could see how it would tick some people off. That seems unfair and extremely unprofessional.

4/17/12 5:37 PM
gbutts

Gary Butts

just got a email from Jim And Eddie , and would like to thank them for handling the matter so quickly: There is the email:

Hello Gary

We have discussed your points and reconsidered the "mandatory" element that you addressed.

Please be advised that the OTC Training Camp will be AVAILABLE to Jr Pan Am Team members who wish to take advantage of it. It will not be mandatory, but an elite training option that is offered by USA Judo.

The intent is to facilitate having as many of our athletes as possible, as ready as possible, to WIN at the Pan American and other events.

Thank you for your observations.

Jim Hrbek

Eddie Liddie
4/18/12 9:12 PM
JoshuaResnick
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I just dont get it to begin with... I just dont get sooo many of the decisions USA Judo makes these days.
4/19/12 12:00 PM
PoWdA101
385 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I got all the win I think. Signed up for my USA Judo membership last year and won some prize and they gave me two years membership for the price of one. It ain't all bad news!
4/20/12 7:41 AM
judoblackbelt
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gary, From another parent with a National level Jr.

I doubt anyone who is not IJF will go-the reason is money. Jr Pan Ams are only partially funded. The entrty fee and hotel are paid for , not sure about meals. The kids are responsible for their own airfare which can be quite expensive. Also inorder to make the team you have to travel to most of the national tournaments across the country, none of which is funded. Not many parents will also be able to afford to send their kids out to Colorado Springs for a week on top of every thing else.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.