UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> DFW: GSP says Rory MacDonald is the next GSP

4/17/12 1:07 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1197 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

While Saturday's main event has been anticipated for a year, and is doubtless the show's primary draw, the main card includes a fight that may bring Rory MacDonald to full recognition.

Canadian MacDonald is 12-1 and at 22-years old one of the youngest fighters in the UFC. The only decision on his record was to Nate Diaz, and his sole loss was an RSC with seven second left to Carlos Condit, in a fight in which he was leading on the judges scorecards.

“This kid’s awesome,” said UFC president Dana White recently. “Even Georges St-Pierre says he’s the next Georges St-Pierre, so that’s pretty impressive.

“This kid could be the next big superstar. We’ll see. You never know. I don’t like to throw that kind of pressure on guys.”

Saturday MacDonald fights Englishman Che Mills after an eight-month layoff. Mills is 14-4 and on a five fight win streak, including three first round KOs, but is fighting in the UFC for only the second time.

“I really don’t know all that much about him,” said MacDonald of Mills. “That’s how I like it, the less I know the better. I normally don’t do a lot of research or watch a lot of video of my opponent's past fights. I just kind of react to what I see in front of me. All I can do is worry about myself and making sure that I am in shape and prepared for anything and everything. My coaches are the ones who set-up my game plan and they train me accordingly. I can tell you that he is a kickboxer and that’s about it to be honest with you.”

While on paper this appears to be a stepping stone fight for MacDonald, the only thing you know for sure in MMA is that anything can happen, which is why you have the fight.

4/17/12 1:08 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
558 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ERICK SILVA
4/17/12 1:10 PM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
558 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GSP thinks Stephen Thompson is the next champ though, btw.

Rory is a beast, will be interesting to see how good he can get.
4/17/12 1:36 PM
DamnSevern
1198 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

STOP IT WITH THE COMPARISONS ALREADY

THIS IS GETTING REDIC
4/17/12 1:37 PM
Chris27
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Only one next GSP and his name is Nover.
4/17/12 1:40 PM
JTRipper
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Chris27 - Only one next GSP and his name is Nover.
Beat me to it Phone Post
4/17/12 1:57 PM
Thomas Wood
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TatamiFightwear.com, Honey Badger here!
At 22 years old he is in a place to make it happen
4/17/12 2:01 PM
ThePoopWizard
390 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

OnlyTheStrongSurvive - ERICK SILVA
WTF erick silva hasn't beaten anyone on rorys level and is much older. rory nearly beat condit. I don't see silva doing well against most of rorys opponents Phone Post
4/17/12 2:01 PM
Kirik
1782 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Underground, Mayor for Life
DamnSevern - WTA

I miss Pippin FrigStockings and those guys :-)
4/17/12 2:02 PM
ThePoopWizard
390 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

SlyStallowned - And yet again we won't see the current GSP fight the "next" GSP since they have trained with each other for a year or two and are now "friends". What a joke.
Not a joke. I think they train together all the time now Phone Post
4/17/12 2:23 PM
4de1
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I enjoy watching Rory fight, but this statement is a problem for his career development:

“I really don’t know all that much about him,” said MacDonald of Mills. “That’s how I like it, the less I know the better. I normally don’t do a lot of research or watch a lot of video of my opponent's past fights. I just kind of react to what I see in front of me. All I can do is worry about myself and making sure that I am in shape and prepared for anything and everything. My coaches are the ones who set-up my game plan and they train me accordingly. I can tell you that he is a kickboxer and that’s about it to be honest with you.”

4/17/12 3:06 PM
spliff
79 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kirik - 
DamnSevern - WTA

I miss Pippin FrigStockings and those guys :-)

someone needs to come out to that
4/17/12 3:14 PM
sparkyman
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I love watching Rory fight. I think I might just agree with GSP.
4/17/12 3:39 PM
fightharder
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I guess GSP can be one of the better judges of Rory abilities since trains with him quit often. I do think Rory mixes take-downs with striking very nice and he knows how to get results and finish fights as well. He also seem to get better all the time. I would be curious to see who would take the GSP fighting Rory in a year or two.
4/17/12 3:41 PM
Kings21
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Chris27 - Only one next GSP and his name is Nover.

I thought Nover was the next Anderson Silva.
4/17/12 3:43 PM
BigWilliam
279 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wasn't Escudero the next Anderson Silva at one point according to Dana?
4/17/12 4:00 PM
Freakin 10er
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Rory's got unbelievable potential. I'm really liking the new crop of welterweights that the UFC is bringing in.
4/17/12 4:09 PM
Rafael135
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Rory is GSP 2.0

He's more exciting and will be better than GSP himself. Phone Post
4/17/12 4:16 PM
Jared Vergara

Rory will have the belt in the next few years
4/17/12 9:16 PM
swany

I hope for rorys sake he's not the next gsp , let's hope he keeps finishing
4/17/12 9:17 PM
BaraoKix

"Rory is the same as me"
4/17/12 9:27 PM
SleepBomb

lol, he also said junie was going to be the next anderson silva.

if rory is so great, why is he fighting che mills?

and also, "ares" as a nickname. kinda homo
4/18/12 8:55 AM
BryanH
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gunnar Nelson would throw that kid a beating!!!
4/18/12 9:44 AM
Phil999

“This kid could be the next big superstar. We’ll see. You never know. I don’t like to throw that kind of pressure on guys.”

lol Dana just put pressure on him.
4/18/12 10:54 AM
kevsh
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Phil999 - “This kid could be the next big superstar. We’ll see. You never know. I don’t like to throw that kind of pressure on guys.”

lol Dana just put pressure on him.

Then this story on UFC.com:
Rory MacDonald: A Champion in the Making

Yep, no pressure Dana.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.