UnderGround Forums

SoldierGround >> Meeting with a NG recruiter tomorrow. Any Advice?

4/18/12 9:45 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
ValeTudo020
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tomorrow after work, I will be meeting with a National Guard recruiter. I am 25 years old, physically fit, and will be graduating Law School on May 7. Obviously, I'll be pushing for OCS. My biggest concern is my bar prep. I will be taking the bar exam on July 27 & 28 and my schedule may be tight leading up to the exam; however, I'd like to leave for basic in the first or second week of August. Do you think they'll work around that? And is there anything I can negotiate from my end (like airborne)? Or am I basically limited because I'll be doing OCS?

And I can't do JAG because I don't have prior service nor passed the bar (yet).
4/22/12 11:27 AM
BshMstr
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

yeah, they can get you a later ship date... usuually later in the summer/early fall is easy, becasue so many people ship out in May.

when you're getting a contract, you can generally only get certain things....like Airborne, RIP (Ranger assinged), duty station....to get those things through the Gaurd is hard, because that's all state money.

where do you intend to do OCS? straight through, or on drilling status??
4/22/12 11:32 AM
BshMstr
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

annddd, i just realized that you already met with the recruiter.

sorry 'bout the late advice.

how'd it go??
4/23/12 9:11 AM
ValeTudo020
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks! It actually went pretty good. I got about 80% of my paper work done. Apparently, I can't really ask for much in my contract because I'll be OCS (which sucks because I wanted to do airborne before that).

They also were very open to working around my schedule. I'd imagine it's a selling point because I haven't joined yet. The recruiter basically said that if I have to miss every drill from here until basic, it's fine. They understand that I'll be taking the bar and that's priority #1.

I meet with the Lieutenant in charge of OCS on Wednesday. That's probably where I'll get most of the answers I need.

In Maryland, apparently 98% of Candidates go through the traditional 18-month OCS on drills. I'd rather do the 2-month accelerated. It might be impossible (considering I have no real valid reason to accelerated) but I'll push that topic on Wednesday.
5/3/12 7:34 PM
TheeSenator
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Do the accelerated, you'll be glad. Also, with a law degree, is there a particular field you want (other than Jag?)

And unless it's completely out of the question, go active. Phone Post
5/3/12 9:17 PM
ValeTudo020

TheeSenator - Do the accelerated, you'll be glad. Also, with a law degree, is there a particular field you want (other than Jag?)

And unless it's completely out of the question, go active. Phone Post

When I talked about accelerated, I kind of got a "you can try" with a shrug. I guess that's a bridge I'll have to cross next summer.

As to the law degree, the Maryland won't take you as a JAG unless you have at least both 4 years of prior service and 4 years of legal experience. I figured if I don't like my Officer placement then I can fall back on JAG on my next contract. I'll have the minimum requirements and hopefully rank.

And I won't go active. I still want to practice law and I have no desire to leave Maryland. I'm essentially padding my resume on both sides (advancing in a legal and military career simultaneously). Who wouldn't want to vote for a young politician who is tough on crime and terrorism?
5/5/12 6:53 PM
virux11b
183 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That's a pretty pathetic reason to serve. But whatever. Phone Post
5/5/12 9:06 PM
ValeTudo020

virux11b - That's a pretty pathetic reason to serve. But whatever. Phone Post

That's not the reason why I'm serving. That's the reason why I choose the National Guard over Active Duty. The National Guard lets me do both the legal and military career at the same time.
5/6/12 7:34 PM
The Cannibal
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

No such thing as a pathetic reason to serve, serving is serving.
5/7/12 3:57 PM
virux11b
183 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Cannibal -  No such thing as a pathetic reason to serve, serving is serving.
You couldn't be more wrong. 99% of the people that join for the wrong reasons don't make it through basic. Phone Post
5/10/12 2:10 PM
flyingtx21
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Make sure you go over your bonus contracts thoroughly as well.
5/10/12 5:05 PM
virux11b

flyingtx21 - Make sure you go over your bonus contracts thoroughly as well.
Why? You usually don't get a very high bonus now days. And, correct me if I'm wrong, but officers don't get a sign on bonus. Phone Post
5/10/12 8:32 PM
The Cannibal
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

First: your comment did not disprove my statement even slightly. Second: you can't seriously believe that.  I know a shit ton of people who joined for what you would probably consider "the wrong reasons" and are active,  my battery at basic  had like two people not make it through. Besides that do the "1%" not sacrifice just as much?
5/10/12 8:58 PM
virux11b

It has nothing to do with what I believe. It's statistics within the army. And when did I say they didn't sacrifice? I think you are getting your panties in a wad over a fact and now throwing random crap at me.

Damn near every person I know of that joined for just a bonus or cash either failed out of basic or were turd soldiers. You can get mad all you want. Phone Post
5/10/12 10:41 PM
The Cannibal

I would love to see these statistics. I said there is no such thing as serving for a pathetic reason, serving is serving, to which you replied that I couldn't be more wrong. Is it too much use of reading comprehension for you to be unable to correlate the fact that you disagreeing with that means that you believe some people's service is to be held in lower regard based solely on their reason for serving? The 99% horseshit you threw out was the only panty wadding, random crap brought up. Maybe you should stick to shooting things and being homo erotic.
5/11/12 8:41 AM
virux11b

The Cannibal -  I would love to see these statistics. I said there is no such thing as serving for a pathetic reason, serving is serving, to which you replied that I couldn't be more wrong. Is it too much use of reading comprehension for you to be unable to correlate the fact that you disagreeing with that means that you believe some people's service is to be held in lower regard based solely on their reason for serving? The 99% horseshit you threw out was the only panty wadding, random crap brought up. Maybe you should stick to shooting things and being homo erotic.
There you go with your panty wadding. When you quit crying and calling names come back and we can have a big boy conversation. Phone Post
5/11/12 11:58 PM
The Cannibal

So can I safely assume you either cannot comprehend what I said or that you have no answer so you refuse to engage?
5/12/12 12:16 AM
virux11b

You made up a random assumption. Never did I say someone serving for any reason is any less. I made my comment out of experience. Not from me going to one basic training session. Phone Post
5/12/12 12:30 AM
The Cannibal

So you can't comprehend what is being said, got it. 
-You said it was a pathetic reason to serve
-I said there is no such thing as a pathetic reason to serve.
-You made a wild leap to the claim that 99% of people who join for the wrong reason don't make it past basic.
-I said that even were that true, does that mean the 1% that do make it are pathetic?
-You made up statistics and said the 1% who did make it were turd soldiers, implying that they don't deserve       the respect that other soldiers do.
- You once again avoided the points I brought up and attempted to emasculate me because you have no valid arguement
I hope that helps
5/12/12 6:39 AM
virux11b

The Cannibal -  So you can't comprehend what is being said, got it. 
-You said it was a pathetic reason to serve
-I said there is no such thing as a pathetic reason to serve.
-You made a wild leap to the claim that 99% of people who join for the wrong reason don't make it past basic.
-I said that even were that true, does that mean the 1% that do make it are pathetic?
-You made up statistics and said the 1% who did make it were turd soldiers, implying that they don't deserve       the respect that other soldiers do.
- You once again avoided the points I brought up and attempted to emasculate me because you have no valid arguement
I hope that helps
I guess when you get all mad you don't pay attention to what's being written. I'm taking a wild leap and saying you were air force. Only they could cry and get upset as much as you do. Phone Post
5/12/12 2:37 PM
The Cannibal

Tell me what you said then. I was not AF, I am a 68w. You know, the guys who save you.
5/12/12 2:43 PM
virux11b

The Cannibal -  Tell me what you said then. I was not AF, I am a 68w. You know, the guys who save you.
You seriously think that joining solely for a bonus is a good reason to serve? Every person that the recruiting station put in for that reason alone didn't make it. Ok, maybe one. But he ended up getting kicked out. Phone Post
5/12/12 2:44 PM
virux11b

The Cannibal -  Tell me what you said then. I was not AF, I am a 68w. You know, the guys who save you.
Haha! We made our medic sit in the truck for that reason alone. Phone Post
5/12/12 3:23 PM
The Cannibal

I don't care why anyone joined, by the act of joining they are all making the same sacrifice, which is everything up to and including their life.  That being said, if they didn't make it through basic, they didn't serve and their inclusion here is irrelevant.
5/12/12 3:54 PM
virux11b

Wow. I feel like I'm arguing with my wife. Change change change. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.