UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Stann explains why he stopped hitting Sakara

4/19/12 11:30 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
900 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

"His legs were wrapped around me so I could feel his muscles go limp, and my instincts just said this guy is no longer there," he said.

Of course, there were many that praised Stann for not delivering excess punishment to the Italian fighter, who shortly afterward regained his senses. The gesture made the home page of Yahoo! Sports.

Stann suspects Sakara may have been verbally submitting with the utterance, but can't be sure. His Italian isn't so good. Regardless, he feels he did the right thing.

"I really respect Alessio," he said. "I could feel he was done and was no longer really with us, so I looked to the ref for some help there."

read entire article...

4/19/12 11:31 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
bknumber1
54 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

A great example of a true professional. Phone Post
4/19/12 11:33 AM
UGCTT_the people's cecil
49 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Stann is always a class act. Phone Post
4/19/12 11:37 AM
UGCTT_LnPninja
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Indeed a class act. He was also holding Sakara's head/neck with his other hand, so it had to be obvious when his eyes rolled and his entire body limped out. 

4/19/12 11:42 AM
sevenwithcheese

UGCTT_the people's cecil -  Stann is always a class act. Phone Post

4/19/12 11:43 AM
epwar
562 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

From the article:
"I heard him say something in Italian, then right when he was saying that in Italian, that's when I hit him twice, and he went out for a second."

Confidential sources revealed Sakara said "Perché Bobby Lupo lo ha maledetto?" in Italian.
4/19/12 11:43 AM
MolsonMuscles
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good for Stann. Continuing to hit an unconscious fighter is unnecessary, unless that fighter is Michael Bisping.
4/19/12 11:48 AM
sawdusk
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

stann: someone who doesn't have to be told to "go win some fans"...
4/19/12 11:52 AM
donkypunch55
114 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MolsonMuscles - Good for Stann. Continuing to hit an unconscious fighter is unnecessary, unless that fighter is Michael Bisping.

haha, so true!
4/19/12 11:53 AM
Kostakio
383 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

sawdusk - stann: someone who doesn't have to be told to "go win some fans"...

4/19/12 11:55 AM
Wanderlei Cesar da Silva fan

He didn't have to win his fans because the UFC dribbled that American soldier bullshit everywhere and all the time. Nice guy but don't give me that "doesn't need to win fans" shit. He's only as famous ad he is because of being an ex soldier Phone Post
4/19/12 11:55 AM
random_perv

bknumber1 - A great example of a true professional. Phone Post
I applaud. Phone Post
4/19/12 11:58 AM
pickula
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The more I learn about Stann the more I like him
4/19/12 12:02 PM
Forrest Spliffn

Wanderlei Cesar da Silva fan - He didn't have to win his fans because the UFC dribbled that American soldier bullshit everywhere and all the time. Nice guy but don't give me that "doesn't need to win fans" shit. He's only as famous ad he is because of being an ex soldier Phone Post
I thought the same thing till his last fight. Turns out that not everyone they bill as an " all American" is a douche like Matt Hughes tho. This dude actually deserves respect Phone Post
4/19/12 12:07 PM
32Hunter

My god this newfound Stann worship. Phone Post
4/19/12 12:12 PM
whoabro

heard him on Sherdog Radio the other week and was really impressed. he's a sharp guy and conducts himself exactly how a professional fighter should imo.
4/19/12 12:14 PM
DeRanker

32Hunter - My god this newfound Stann worship. Phone Post
Is deserved. I wanted to stand up ad applaud when that last fight ended. Such a class act. He genuinely looked sorry for giving sakara that extra little hammer fist. I'm an instant fan. Phone Post
4/19/12 12:18 PM
MolsonMuscles
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wanderlei Cesar da Silva fan - He didn't have to win his fans because the UFC dribbled that American soldier bullshit everywhere and all the time. Nice guy but don't give me that "doesn't need to win fans" shit. He's only as famous ad he is because of being an ex soldier

I've always suspected that was the UFC's idea much more than Stann's. I suspect Stann would probably never mention it if the UFC didn't make him out to be a one man Delta team singlehandedly protecting life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, while training a little BJJ on the side.
4/19/12 12:20 PM
Synado
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Weidman would be a tough fight for him.
4/19/12 12:23 PM
3rdLion
216 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MolsonMuscles - Good for Stann. Continuing to hit an unconscious fighter is unnecessary, unless that fighter is Michael Bisping.

What the fuck? Ban this fucking idiot.
4/19/12 12:24 PM
BradGluckman
575 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

bknumber1 -  A great example of a true professional. Phone Post

4/19/12 12:26 PM
Synado
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wanderlei Cesar da Silva fan - He didn't have to win his fans because the UFC dribbled that American soldier bullshit everywhere and all the time. Nice guy but don't give me that "doesn't need to win fans" shit. He's only as famous ad he is because of being an ex soldier Phone Post

I have to completely disagree with you. If anything that has put him under greater pressure to perform. I respect him because he is a Marine, but during his transition from WEC to UFC he almost lost me as a fan. Stann has work really hard to develop his skills and stay relevant. That is ultimately in my opinion what has helped him develop and keep his fan base. Otherwise he would just be looked at as a jar head who did some cool stuff but not worthy of UFC accolades.
4/19/12 12:26 PM
paw
1169 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

bknumber1 -  A great example of a true professional. Phone Post

4/19/12 12:46 PM
fightharder
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Truly an and exceptional human being as well as a great fighter. He might have holes in his game but his style combined with his personality is enough in my book to make him a fan favorite. If brain Stann is on the card i will be a lot more likely to buy it.
4/19/12 1:01 PM
MMA_Hole
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I always found Stann unbearable. Ever since his earliest WEC fights I found myself rooting against the guy and was really hoping Sakara would knock him out. The way he's been marketed left me cold.

Now, against all my instincts, I have a feeling I just might be cheering for him next time round. It seems that behind all the marketing bullshit, the guy really is a class act. Who knew?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.