UnderGround Forums

Hunting & Fishing Ground >> Bow fishing tips

4/23/12 8:39 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
VemolasLazyEye
62 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ive never done it but from what ive seen on youtube it looks like a blast. i have been bow hunting when in season a couple years now and i want to get into the bow fishing. any tips or advice? good spots to go ect. TELL ME EVERYTHING!!! also do i need a seperate bow to setup for it? or can i just bolt on the reel when i want to fish? thanks in advance
4/24/12 5:28 AM
Byrd
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

only kill what you are going to eat.

dont be a dumb redneck and kill carp, gar and other undesireable fish just for the fuck of it.
4/24/12 6:33 AM
VemolasLazyEye
62 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I was looking more for setup and technique tips but thanks anyways Phone Post
4/25/12 5:36 PM
Blue Duck
56 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I wouldn't fork out a lot of $ for bow-fishing gear until/unless you discover that you really love it. All you need is a fish point and fiberglass arrow for bow fishing...most don't even have fletching as you'll only be shooting short distances. You can buy the arrow/fish point combo on-line or in any basspro or gander. Use some heavy test line or kevlar line if you're shooting gar/carp and just spool it up at your feet and stand on the end of the line. My only tips...1) aim way lower than you'd think to account for water refraction and 2) on a big carp/gar leave some slack in the line (about 4" or so) behind the arrow point and wrap the slack in electrical tape...when the arrow sticks in the fish and you pull the line the slack will allow the arrow to pull away from the point and you won't break or damage the arrow as you fight the fish. That prolly won't make any sense until you have an arrow and fish point in your hand and you'll see what I mean. I have only bow fished a couple of times, but I gator hunt with a bow alot and the principles are the same.
4/26/12 3:11 PM
VemolasLazyEye

Awsome thanks man...where u gator hunt? Phone Post
4/26/12 8:56 PM
Blue Duck
56 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Central FL area...St. Johns River, Lake George, Lake Jessup, Brevard Co. You're in FL, too, right? You already got the bow, you just need a boat and you're in bidness for gator hunting.
4/26/12 10:54 PM
VemolasLazyEye

Hells yeah man I'm in middleburg just south of orange park and jax. I was looking on myfwc.com trying to find out how to get the gator tag but I couldn't find it. How u get it? Phone Post
4/27/12 4:48 AM
Blue Duck

Good timing as the permit process begins next week: http://myfwc.com/license/limited-entry-hunts/general-info/alligator-hunt-permit/

$270 for permit and two tags and $60-something for an additional two tags if you want. There's no longer any real market for selling the hide/meat, so you'd only be doing it for the fun and some good eating meat.

4/28/12 10:55 PM
VemolasLazyEye

U sir may have just put me on my first gator..
.THANK U! Phone Post
5/15/12 5:05 AM
Blue Duck

Only two days left to get your permit request submitted.
5/15/12 11:59 AM
VemolasLazyEye

Already done Phone Post
6/12/12 3:47 PM
Blue Duck

VLE, you pull a permit? I got skunked for the first time ever. The last few years the State couldn't give the damn things away and this year they sold out. You probably took my permit you bastard! ;)

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.