UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Silva vs. Sonnen announcement LIVE at 11 am ET

4/24/12 9:23 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1025 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

A UN meeting scheduled at the same time as UFC 147 would have put such a strain on the hotel capacity that a major sporting event like Silva vs. Sonnen II would have been problematic.

Thus UFC President Dana White announced live from Brazil that the Anderson Silva vs. Chael Sonnen rematch will not be in Brazil, but rather would be at UFC 148 in Las Vegas on july 7. 148 had been headlined by a Bantamweight title fight betweeen Urijah Faber and Dominick Cruz, coaches of the debut season of The Ultimate Fighter Live on FX.

"It took a lot of talking," said White. "I finally convinced Anderson to take this fight in Las Vegas."

"It makes no difference to me," said Silva through a translator. "My first championship was in Japan. A fight is a fight. I am going to be fighting and representing Brazil in the same manner I have always done." Later Silva expanded on the remarks.

"I’m not glad that it’s not in Brazil, but I’m a UFC athlete," Silva said. "I don’t only have fans here, I have fans all over the world. Independently of where I’ll fight, I’ll be representing Brazil and I’ll do my job for my fans. It doesn’t change much."

Chael Sonnen described UFC 148 as the "biggest sporting event in the history of combat."

Dana White cited many things logistically as contributing to UFC 147 falling apart. "It was a huge, global event," White said. "If we couldn't pull it off in a soccer stadium the only choice was Vegas ... This is where we wanted it to happen, Anderson obviously wanted it, Chael was okay with it."

“When I started training martial arts I learned about respect. Sonnen doesn’t know martial arts. He’s a wrestler, he doesn’t know how to respect people. Some say he’s promoting the fight, but he disrespected my country, my family, and fans. Some people say things without really knowing and they think it’s awesome. He did it all, but he didn’t do the most important thing which was defeating me."

Part way through Chael starts loudly snoring.

"Yes I did (disrespect you and your country)," agreed Sonnen. "And you didn't do a damn thing. ... I am going to destroy him. Our skills are not even close. ... I am not going to talk respect like this guy. I'm going to ask what is the date and whose ass am I going to whip tonight?"

"I can't tell if Chael Sonnen is playing the bad guy," said White, who added, "or if he's just nuts. But let me tell you one thing about this guy, he backs it up. ... He's the only guy to challenge Anderson Silva. The things that come out of his mouth are nutty, but he backs it up."

White at the opening of the press conference said that UFC 147 will take place in Brazil, on June 23, venue to be determined, with Wanderlei Silva vs. Vitor Belfort headlining. He hoped to also have Featherweight champion Jose Aldo on the card, presumably as a co-main event. UFC 147 will also have the Middleweight and Featherweight tournament finales from TUF  Brazil, as well as Brazilian heavyweight Fabricio Werdum vs. Mike Russow.

White also said that depending upon how Jon Jones recovers from Saturday’s Rashad Evans fight, he could fight Dan Henderson at UFC 149 on July 21.

“[Jones'] hands are sore, you know, all the things that go along with coming out of a fight like that. We got to give them a few weeks to see how he feels, and we’ll figure out what the main event is in Calgary. But that would be awesome. If we could make that fight, that would be great.”

In short order, Silva and Sonnen squared off, Dana flashed a peace sign, and the press conference closed.

Dana's final tweet:
Las Vegas but first get Chael out of Brazil in 1 piece

Replay of the press conference:

http://demandware.edgesuite.net/aago_prd/on/demandware.static/Sites-mixedmartialarts-Site/Sites-MMAWarehouse/default/v1335229026925/images/xlarge/pbd-1006_01_xl.jpg
Punch Buddies Chael Sonnen "I Want You Anderson Silva" Shirt
Item# pbd-1006
$29.99
Color: Vintage White

UFC 148: Silva vs. Sonnen II
Sat., July 7, 2012
10 p.m. ET PPV
MGM Grand Garden Arena, Las Vegas, Nevada

Main Event
UFC Middleweight Champion Anderson Silva vs. Chael Sonnen

Card
UFC Bantamweight Champion Dominick Cruz vs. Urijah Faber
Rich Franklin vs. Cung Le
Michael Bisping vs. Tim Boetsch
Forrest Griffin vs. Tito Ortiz
Demian Maia vs. Dong Hyun Kim
Riki Fukuda vs. Constantinos Philippou
Gleison Tibau vs. Habib Nurmagomedov
Renan Barao vs. Ivan Menjivar
Fabricio Camoes vs. Melvin Guillard

4/24/12 9:25 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Arecsa
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Big UFC 148 Anderson vs Chael advertising all over the stage would indicate Vegas and not Brazil.
4/24/12 9:29 AM
UGCTT_LnPninja
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Are we sure it is 10am EST? I'm in Chicago, it is 8:30, and when I click on the video it says it will start in 1hour and 30 minutes. That makes it 10 here and 11 on the East Coast...
4/24/12 9:31 AM
blupitt
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The way it's written an announcement about sonnen silva 2 and some brazil fights makes me think it's goin back to Vegas.. Phone Post
4/24/12 9:36 AM
Willin
176 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The UFC website says 11am EST.
4/24/12 9:42 AM
CuDi

Looks like its UFC 148: Silva vs Sonnen July 7

They have posters of that on the live stream
4/24/12 9:42 AM
UGCTT_LnPninja

Willin - The UFC website says 11am EST.

I tried to tell them that above....

Maybe "Underground Blog" is drunk again...
4/24/12 9:44 AM
UGCTT_LnPninja

At least if it IS in Vegas Sonnen will have to answer to the NSAC for all of his lies under oath...

Doubtful he gets a TUE so we get to see a non-roided up Sonnen this time.
4/24/12 9:51 AM
RJJH
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

A Flock Of Seagals - Really hope Anderson hurts Sonnen.

4/24/12 9:51 AM
MMALOGIC

Edited: 04/24/12 9:52 AM
 the brazilians are gonna riot when they find out the Anderson/chael fight has been moved.

4/24/12 10:10 AM
Willin
176 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMALOGIC -  the brazilians are gonna riot when they find out the Anderson/chael fight has been moved.

They may aim their blowguns at Dana rather than Chael.

EatMyRashGuard - 
Another reason to not have it take place in Brazil..It's not like they haven't known. There have been reports from Tatame and other Brazilian media for about a week that it was being moved.
You're assuming they have the internet...
4/24/12 10:13 AM
ABE FROMAN

Perhaps the UG blog could be less biased towards Sonnen? Perhaps post an Anderson Silva t-shirt the next 2 times you mention this fight?
4/24/12 10:18 AM
UGCTT_LnPninja

^^^^^ Interesting
4/24/12 10:25 AM
Willin

They sell the Chael shirt through their store. Do they have a Silva one that's licensed which they can sell? Could explain it...
4/24/12 10:31 AM
UGCTT_LnPninja

Willin -  They sell the Chael shirt through their store. Do they have a Silva one that's licensed which they can sell? Could explain it...

First thing I thought of as well. I would think a store would be smart enough to carry the GOAT's stuff... :-)
4/24/12 10:33 AM
Porkchop74
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ABE FROMAN - Perhaps the UG blog could be less biased towards Sonnen? Perhaps post an Anderson Silva t-shirt the next 2 times you mention this fight?

Maybe if Anderson didn't duck the fight for as long as he did they would have !
4/24/12 10:37 AM
ABE FROMAN

Porkchop74 - 
ABE FROMAN - Perhaps the UG blog could be less biased towards Sonnen? Perhaps post an Anderson Silva t-shirt the next 2 times you mention this fight?
The winner of the previous fight can never duck, especially if Chael had won last time he would've been stripped for banned substances.

4/24/12 10:38 AM
UGCTT_LnPninja

Porkchop74 - 

Wow you're dumb. 

After Okami the camp had consistently said they would be ready by summer, and would fight whoever Zuffa told them to (if it was at 185). He is now agreeing to rematch a guy who not only cheated, but got finished by the champ once already. As his first fight back from injury.

Explain yourself lurker.
4/24/12 10:39 AM
Willin

Sir Derpington - Can't take this fight seriously if it's not held in Brazil. Anderson has already been forced to fight Chael on his turf, it's time Chael steps up to the plate and accepts the fight in Brazil.

He should have to answer to all the Brazilian fans he badmouthed for the past 2-3 years. Meet them face to face, see how tough he thinks he really is.

I look at Chael's antics as cowardly, as I highly doubt he would say any of the stuff he says, to a group of Brazilians, or even just a 1-2 badass Brazilians that grew up fighting in the streets everyday.

There's some badass mofos in the US prison system that would destroy Chael in a real no holds barred fight, (even without weapons) imagine what some of the mofos doing hard time in Brazil would do to Chael if they got their hands on him.

Chael better take the respectful approach and try to mend relations with Brazil. He needs to be humbled he can't just think he can walk around spouting whatever the hell he wants about Brazil without repercussions stemming from it.

Please reconsider your membership to this forum. Even Silva would not want to fight more than one person at a time, you dope. Chael and most UFC fighters of a good size would eat alive your prison tough guys you idiot. They train to fight and be experts in every fighting position all day long. You think a juiced up drug addict with a chip on his shoulder in prison poses a threat to any top tier UFC fighter of comparable weight? You're delusional and have watched way too many movies, pothead.

What got you so upset, momma's boy? When Chael said they don't have the internet? Or that they need soap? OH THE HORROR!
4/24/12 10:42 AM
UGCTT_LnPninja

Sir Derpington - Can't take this fight seriously if it's not held in Brazil. Anderson has already been forced to fight Chael on his turf, it's time Chael steps up to the plate and accepts the fight in Brazil.

He should have to answer to all the Brazilian fans he badmouthed for the past 2-3 years. Meet them face to face, see how tough he thinks he really is.

I look at Chael's antics as cowardly, as I highly doubt he would say any of the stuff he says, to a group of Brazilians, or even just a 1-2 badass Brazilians that grew up fighting in the streets everyday.

I take the fight more seriously in Vegas. Think about it. Nevada and California are the only Commissions that have a reason to TRULY force Chael to speak to the lies and slander he busted out under oath. They are also the only ones who will confirm his "need" for TRT if he wants to be allowed to keep roiding...I mean getting "treatment". He should have to answer to the Commission once and for all.

As to facing the Brasilllians, we already know what happens then....

Remember Sonnen going pure BETA when Wandy called hijm out in that van? 

4/24/12 10:43 AM
ABE FROMAN

Edited: 04/24/12 10:44 AM
I wish people would stop talking about prison toughguys. The most dangerous ones are segregated 23 hours a day, how much training can you get in a 8' by 8' cell?

But Silva has always taken every fight offered to him, something that Dan Henderson hasn't done yet the UG makes excuses for him.
4/24/12 10:44 AM
Hey Jude
54 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sir Derpington - Can't take this fight seriously if it's not held in Brazil. Anderson has already been forced to fight Chael on his turf, it's time Chael steps up to the plate and accepts the fight in Brazil.

There's some badass mofos in the US prison system that would destroy Chael in a real no holds barred fight, (even without weapons) imagine what some of the mofos doing hard time in Brazil would do to Chael if they got their hands on him.

Chael better take the respectful approach and try to mend relations with Brazil. He needs to be humbled he can't just think he can walk around spouting whatever the hell he wants about Brazil without repercussions stemming from it.
Derp. No shit he wouldn't say it. It is all a show. Phone Post
4/24/12 10:56 AM
Authority Figure

Willin - 

Please reconsider your membership to this forum. Even Silva would not want to fight more than one person at a time, you dope. Chael and most UFC fighters of a good size would eat alive your prison tough guys you idiot. They train to fight and be experts in every fighting position all day long. You think a juiced up drug addict with a chip on his shoulder in prison poses a threat to any top tier UFC fighter of comparable weight? You're delusional and have watched way too many movies, pothead.

What got you so upset, momma's boy? When Chael said they don't have the internet? Or that they need soap? OH THE HORROR!

Dumb and dumber arguing over some complete nonsense. lol
4/24/12 10:58 AM
I love Lampmann
122 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Willin -
MMALOGIC -  the brazilians are gonna riot when they find out the Anderson/chael fight has been moved.

They may aim their blowguns at Dana rather than Chael.

EatMyRashGuard - 
Another reason to not have it take place in Brazil..It's not like they haven't known. There have been reports from Tatame and other Brazilian media for about a week that it was being moved.
You're assuming they have the internet...
Awesome post Phone Post
4/24/12 10:59 AM
Chris27

So yeah its officially moved to July 7th, that card is now stacked.

It sucks but what can do you, they couldnt do it in the one place cause of the noise, now you have the UN shit, its not as easy and pushing back a week or two cause venues might not be open.

Doing SIlva/SOnnen in a 20k seat venue probably doesnt make sense, they can do more money in Vegas with tickets, media and PPV sales are better for US cards. This fight really only made sense if it was in a stadium in Brazi. the shit will still do huge viewers on tv in Brazil.

it sucks, shit hasnt been working out for the UFC lately with GSP/Diaz, Reem getting popped and now this fight being moved out of Brazil but shit happens.

Will be interesting to see what 147 will be. Are they bringing in Aldo to main event the card like some think. Aldo/Hioki, or maybe Koch or maybe they scratch Dustin/zombie and move one of them in.

Maybe they bring in Machida/Bader or Machida/Davis or Shogun/AG.

Will it still be a PPV? Will they keep Vitor/Silva as the main event and maybe put this card on FX for free?

If they did

aldo/Hioki
Vitor/Silva
Werdum/Russow
Shogun/AG or Machida/Bader or Davis
TUF finals
TUF finals

I think thats worthy of a PPV and would still be a great card.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.