UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Kizer doesn't anticipate Sonnen licensing issues

4/25/12 12:30 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1025 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Licensing issues can destroy a fight card, and worse.

Late last week, due to delays in licensing Alistair Overeem over PED testing, the UFC had to cancel one of the most anticipated fights of the year, a title shot vs. champion Junior Dos Santos. Overeem's replacement, Frank Mir, will doubtless put on a great show, but it doesn't have the same buzz.

Affliction bet millions on a showdown between Fedor Emelianenko and Josh Barnett. When Barnett was not licensed over PED test issues, the fallout brought down the entire promotion.

As Chael Sonnen will shorlty face Middleweight Anderson Silva in what is absolutely the most anticipated fight of the year, a question inescapably rises - will Chael Sonnen have licensing issues, again?

in late 2010 Sonnen appealed a California State Athletic Commission suspension stemming from elevated testosterone levels following his UFC 117 late-moment loss to champion Anderson Silva. During the appeal, Sonnen said he had been given permission to use testosterone by Nevada State Athletic Commission Executive Director Keith Kizer.

This was news to Kizer, and the CSAC, which had reduced Sonnen's suspension to six months, resuspended him following his conviction on Federal money-laundering charges.

When Chael Sonnen sought to coach opposite Michael Bisping on TUF 14, he had to get licensed as a cornerman by the NSAC. A meeting was convened between Kizer, Sonnen, and UFC officials; an unsatisfied Kizer determined that Sonnen would need to appear before the commission in order to be licensed. The offer was declined.

But now, Kizer said the circumstances have changed.

Kizer today told MMAjunkie.com  that he sees no issues with granting the fighter a license to fight at UFC 148, though he will ultimately defer to NSAC Chairman Raymond "Skip" Avansino.

"He's done his time," Kizer said. "He's come clean on his prior dishonesty, and that's all appreciated."

"Last time, I would not issue an administrative license, so that forced him if he wanted to to go to a hearing," he said. "He chose not to do that – probably the wise move.

"This time, I don't see a problem giving it to him administratively, but that would be the chairman's call. If he says, 'Keith, you're free to do so,' I will do so. If he says, 'Keith, I want him on a commission meeting,' he'll be on a commission meeting."

Read entire article...

4/25/12 1:09 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Silverball
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Seems legit...
4/25/12 1:11 PM
UGCTT_EnderTL
228 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ssj - Nothing dodgy to $ee here ..
I won't pretend I know everything about the process, but I feel the same way...

Someone explain why we shouldn't think something strange is going on here. Phone Post
4/25/12 1:11 PM
MMALOGIC
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

nsac doesnt want to further piss off the MGM grand.  They screwed up a big card with the overeem fiasco, another big fight that would have likely been in vegas (diaz vs condit) and now you have chael and his license.

I suspect "random drug testing" is gonna go away because it doesnt benefit anyone.

It doesnt benefit vegas venues who pay site fees for big fights, it doesnt benefit the UFC and it doesnt benefit the commission because even if they catch somebody there is nothing to fine , ie: no revenue for the commission.

pre and post fight drug tests.  That's it.

4/25/12 1:16 PM
Tad Ghostal
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04/25/12 1:16 PM
How is there no issue in licensing a fighter that admits that he regularly takes steroids?
4/25/12 1:24 PM
bryanand
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"How is there no issue in licensing a fighter that admits that he regularly takes steroids?"

The same way there is no issue licensing Henderson or Couture or Duffee

4/25/12 1:25 PM
Fierce NUN

MMALOGIC -  nsac doesnt want to further piss off the MGM grand.  They screwed up a big card with the overeem fiasco, another big fight that would have likely been in vegas (diaz vs condit) and now you have chael and his license.

I suspect "random drug testing" is gonna go away because it doesnt benefit anyone.

It doesnt benefit vegas venues who pay site fees for big fights, it doesnt benefit the UFC and it doesnt benefit the commission because even if they catch somebody there is nothing to fine , ie: no revenue for the commission.

This is just dumb. The AC's are not a company, but employees of the government. Their job is to ensure the safety of the fighters and they don't expect any revenue in return. If you are implying that they won't do their job to the best of their abilities just because they don't get paid extra then I really don't know what to do for you
4/25/12 1:27 PM
UGCTT_mizunomike27
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So what exactly was the point of the "oath" that Sonnen took in California?
4/25/12 1:28 PM
RJJH
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ssj - Nothing dodgy to $ee here ..

4/25/12 1:30 PM
Tad Ghostal
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

bryanand - "How is there no issue in licensing a fighter that admits that he regularly takes steroids?"

Does Chael have a TUE?
4/25/12 1:32 PM
Tad Ghostal

Tad Ghostal - 
bryanand - "How is there no issue in licensing a fighter that admits that he regularly takes steroids?"

Does Chael have a TUE?

Also, when did Henderson, Couture or Duffee fail a drug test?
4/25/12 1:36 PM
Silverball
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fierce NUN - 
MMALOGIC -  nsac doesnt want to further piss off the MGM grand.  They screwed up a big card with the overeem fiasco, another big fight that would have likely been in vegas (diaz vs condit) and now you have chael and his license.

This is just dumb. The AC's are not a company, but employees of the government. Their job is to ensure the safety of the fighters and they don't expect any revenue in return. If you are implying that they won't do their job to the best of their abilities just because they don't get paid extra then I really don't know what to do for you

Athletic commissions influenced by potential revenue to be made from a big boxing match or UFC card? Never. What's next? Accusing congress of being influenced by corporate interests and paid lobbyists? Don't be so cynical.
4/25/12 3:38 PM
bram
990 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Makes sense
4/25/12 3:49 PM
Mike Chiappetta
48 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

They are gonna have a tough time taking it away now that they have set a new expectation. Also, the NV legislature just passed a bill last June specifically to fund random testing.

You know how the gov't works... if a state agency is not using money for its intended purpose, it's going to be funneled elsewhere. I don't think NSAC is going to want to give up money they lobbied for.
4/25/12 4:25 PM
bryanand
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Does Chael have a TUE?"

I think the content in the OP is leading us down the road to this answer. Nevada is going to follow in California's footsteps on TRT and weed.

"Also, when did Henderson, Couture or Duffee fail a drug test?"

Chael has fought twice since the Silva fight and passed drug tests, should we ban all fighters who fail a test from never fighting again?

4/25/12 4:38 PM
Tad Ghostal

bryanand - "Does Chael have a TUE?"

I think the content in the OP is leading us down the road to this answer. Nevada is going to follow in California's footsteps on TRT and weed.

Chael has fought twice since the Silva fight and passed drug tests, should we ban all fighters who fail a test from never fighting again?

Source that Chael was tested? Don't you think TRT is different to failing a test and then promising to stay clean? It's as if KK is saying take as much testosterone as you want, just don't fail the post fight test.
4/25/12 5:04 PM
zedlepln
226 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tad Ghostal - 

Source that Chael was tested? Don't you think TRT is different to failing a test and then promising to stay clean? It's as if KK is saying take as much testosterone as you want, just don't fail the post fight test.
I'm not sure why you interpret KK's statements to form that conclusion, especially since NV has a random testing program and since TUE's may have even more testing requirements.

If someone with low T wanted to take steroids above what would be allowed under a TUE (in orther words, cheat), the incentive is for *not* applying for TUE in the first place.
4/25/12 5:27 PM
DRevan
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

More random test, especially for TRT users, if they aren't going to ban it altogether.
4/25/12 5:31 PM
UGCTT_LnPninja

Yeah no.

Kizer was not speaking to a TUE for TRT. He was speaking to giving him a license to fight at all.

If Chael wants a TUE for TRT he will have to apply for that, and go through the needed testing and approval process. He better hurry too....clock's a ticking and it is not a fast process.
4/25/12 5:33 PM
Tad Ghostal

zedlepln - I'm not sure why you interpret KK's statements to form that conclusion, especially since NV has a random testing program and since TUE's may have even more testing requirements.
"This time, I don't see a problem giving it to him administratively"
Suggests that he won't need a TUE.
Also, can't they only test you if you are in Nevada?

If someone with low T wanted to take steroids above what would be allowed under a TUE (in orther words, cheat), the incentive is for *not* applying for TUE in the first place.

Has Sonnen applied for a TUE?
4/25/12 5:37 PM
UGCTT_LnPninja

100% a fabricated LIE. Chael was not tested in Texas...and I am 100% certain of that because of this source:
http://mma-boxing.si.com/2011/10/20/texas-expands-drug-testing-for-ufc-136/

"The Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation required four contestants to undergo drug testing surrounding UFC 136 on Oct. 8 at the Toyota Center in Houston — the second time in four months that the state body has asked this of MMA applicants since it started regulating the sport in 2003."

So in the history of MMA in Texas, UFC 136 was the second event ever that they tested any fighters.....Sonnen was not one of them:

"Marc Ratner, the UFC’s Vice-President for Regulatory Affairs, said the TDLR informed him it had tested the two championship bouts at UFC 136. That night, lightweight champion Frankie Edgar defeated Gray Maynard and bantamweight champion Jose Aldo notched his fourth title defense against Kenny Florian."

To boot, there is nothing I can find that shows Sonnen being tested in Illinois, a state that has a history of being almost as terrible as Texas when it comes to regulating MMA.

So what the fuck were you talking about again?
4/25/12 5:38 PM
UGCTT_LnPninja

Tad Ghostal - 
zedlepln - I'm not sure why you interpret KK's statements to form that conclusion, especially since NV has a random testing program and since TUE's may have even more testing requirements.

No it doesn't. It suggests he will be given a license to fight in an MMA event. It does not speak in either direction to whether or not he will be given a TUE for TRT. Nothing Kizer says speaks to a TUE.
4/25/12 5:43 PM
UGCTT_LnPninja

^^^^^ I saw that. Good call. It is an interesting discussion.
4/25/12 5:47 PM
zedlepln
226 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tad Ghostal - 
Also, can't they only test you if you are in Nevada?

Has Sonnen applied for a TUE?
I don't know why that text suggests he won't need a TUE: that's a lot of reading into what KK said and didn't say to come to that conclusion. He does qualify what he means by "administratively" to mean no need for a hearing (unless the Chairman specifically requests one). I also don't know whether he has applied for one, nor do I remember hearing any story one way or the other. What have you heard?

As far as monitoring him in the State, NSAC has arranged for other tests to be performed outside NV. Heck, Overoid had to take a test while outside the country. I would expect they have a protocol for non-residents.
4/25/12 6:01 PM
Tad Ghostal

UGCTT_LnPninja - 
Tad Ghostal - 
<b>Suggests that he won't need a TUE</b>.

No it doesn't. It suggests he will be given a license to fight in an MMA event. It does not speak in either direction to whether or not he will be given a TUE for TRT. Nothing Kizer says speaks to a TUE.

He says he doesn't see any problem in giving a licence to a fighter that admits taking testosterone regularly. A fighter is supposed to need a TUE to be able to take testosterone either in or out of competition. That suggests Chael either already has a TUE for TRT or he doesn't need a TUE. Considering Kizer said in an interview 2 weeks ago that there are still only 3 fighters with a TUE for TRT, I assume Chael doesn't, unless it was granted in the meantime.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.