UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Hieron had to pay Bellator to be released

4/26/12 11:50 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1294 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

The former Bellator welterweight finalist announced via Twitter on Tuesday that he had been released from his Bellator contract. He later told NBCSports.com that he asked for the release.

"I asked for a rematch with (Ben) Askren and they said no to go back through the tournament," he said. "That just didn't make sense to me cause I thought I beat him already."

And while he finally convinced Bellator to let him out of his contract, it came with a price.

"I had to pay them back my signing bonus," he said, "but at this point in my career, I would rather do that than sit on the shelf."

read entire article...

4/26/12 12:04 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
UGCTT_Suess
69 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

business as usual.

Shit wrong org
4/26/12 12:05 PM
DeuceDroppin
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The signing bonus part sounds fair. Just like any job where you sign a contract/commitment. Phone Post
4/26/12 12:08 PM
random_perv

Another tourney to face Asken while Asken fights a no named non championship fight. Phone Post
4/26/12 12:08 PM
aaronlynton
100 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

And his plans are....?? Phone Post
4/26/12 12:13 PM
Acidic

UFC maybe he was on a bit of a contraversial 10 fight win streak
4/26/12 12:15 PM
Card
2329 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

aaronlynton -  And his plans are....?? Phone Post

Legacy Fighting Championships, to debut July 13 on HDNet
4/26/12 12:16 PM
UGCTT_chuckles1
186 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Would love to see him back in the UFC! Phone Post
4/26/12 12:19 PM
MMALOGIC

Bellator taking care of the fighters as usual...  I wish Dana was more like Bjorn.

Derp.
4/26/12 12:22 PM
sevenwithcheese

As I said in the other thread about Bjorn today, he may put on a nicer facade, but he's no different than Dana.
4/26/12 12:28 PM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
589 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What would the big deal be with giving him a rematch? Theres no way he would rather have Askren as his champ is there?
4/26/12 12:34 PM
chawkins
41 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Shouldn't his agent have negotiated for a non-refundable signing bonus? If it's refundable it's not really bonus, is it?
4/26/12 12:36 PM
Grantman
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

As for the Hieron situation, he claims he asked for an immediate rematch with the champ, something that Bellator has NEVER done. If it was, Don't you think they would have had an automatic rematch between Chandler and Alvarez based on what an amazing fight that was? No, they had Alvarez fight Aoki and they are having him fight again.

I am pretty sure Hieron's contract doesn't have an automatic rematch clause in it so why should they give him a rematch when their whole organization is based on the tournament system. Shlemenko had to earn another shot at the title by winning the tournament again.

Why are people upset that Hieron didn't get his full contract pay when he didn't want to fully fulfill his contract? They could have been like the UFC and just held a guy on the shelf for years without giving him a fight just to prove a point but they didn't. With any negotiation there is a give and take so I really don't see the problem here
4/26/12 12:38 PM
sevenwithcheese

Grantman - As for the Hieron situation, he claims he asked for an immediate rematch with the champ, something that Bellator has NEVER done. If it was, Don't you think they would have had an automatic rematch between Chandler and Alvarez based on what an amazing fight that was? No, they had Alvarez fight Aoki and they are having him fight again.

I am pretty sure Hieron's contract doesn't have an automatic rematch clause in it so why should they give him a rematch when their whole organization is based on the tournament system. Shlemenko had to earn another shot at the title by winning the tournament again.

Why are people upset that Hieron didn't get his full contract pay when he didn't want to fully fulfill his contract? They could have been like the UFC and just held a guy on the shelf for years without giving him a fight just to prove a point but they didn't. With any negotiation there is a give and take so I really don't see the problem here
Did you watch his fight with Askren?

4/26/12 12:39 PM
I Am Dingus
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Grantman - As for the Hieron situation, he claims he asked for an immediate rematch with the champ, something that Bellator has NEVER done. If it was, Don't you think they would have had an automatic rematch between Chandler and Alvarez based on what an amazing fight that was? No, they had Alvarez fight Aoki and they are having him fight again.

I agree Phone Post
4/26/12 12:41 PM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
589 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Grantman - As for the Hieron situation, he claims he asked for an immediate rematch with the champ, something that Bellator has NEVER done. If it was, Don't you think they would have had an automatic rematch between Chandler and Alvarez based on what an amazing fight that was? No, they had Alvarez fight Aoki and they are having him fight again.

I think the argument for a rematch was that there was controversy in the decision of his fight with Askren. A lot of people think he should have gotten the nod.

Like Alvarez vs Chandler was a great fight, but there was no argument or controversy about who the winner was.
4/26/12 12:41 PM
NYmmanow265
49 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He deserved a rematch that wouldve been better than these superfights...its because they knew he would beat him in a rematch
4/26/12 12:45 PM
Grantman
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I watched the fight and definately think that Hieron won...But at least Bellator is consitant in that they didn't even give Wiuff a title shot and he BEAT the champ in the non title fight...I pretty sure Wiuff is...GASP...fighting in the next tournament to get a title shot..

It may not make sense but once again, if the issue is him having to pay back his signing bonus, he didn't fully fulfill his contract and wanted out (even if that reason may be legit)..
4/26/12 12:47 PM
UGCTT_Suess
69 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

he said he opted out BECAUSE HE WAS BEING KEPT ON THE SHELF

4/26/12 12:47 PM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive

Grantman - I watched the fight and definately think that Hieron won...But at least Bellator is consitant in that they didn't even give Wiuff a title shot and he BEAT the champ in the non title fight...I pretty sure Wiuff is...GASP...fighting in the next tournament to get a title shot..

It may not make sense but once again, if the issue is him having to pay back his signing bonus, he didn't fully fulfill his contract and wanted out (even if that reason may be legit)..

I don't have a problem with him paying back his signing bonus to get out of a contract. I don't like how Bellator does these non-title fights with their champs, though. Can you imagine how bad it would be for them if Gono beat Chandler?
4/26/12 12:49 PM
sly fox
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Card - 
aaronlynton -  And his plans are....?? Phone Post

Legacy Fighting Championships, to debut July 13 on HDNet

legacy have picked up hieron, varner, drysdale and assuncao, some interesting signings there
4/26/12 12:49 PM
sevenwithcheese

I Am Dingus - 
Grantman - As for the Hieron situation, he claims he asked for an immediate rematch with the champ, something that Bellator has NEVER done. If it was, Don't you think they would have had an automatic rematch between Chandler and Alvarez based on what an amazing fight that was? No, they had Alvarez fight Aoki and they are having him fight again.

I agree Phone Post
Did you watch his fight with Askren?

4/26/12 12:50 PM
Grantman

UGCTT_Suess - <p>he said he opted out BECAUSE HE WAS BEING KEPT ON THE SHELF</p>

THEY TOLD HIM TO ENTER A TOURNAMENT WHICH HE REFUSED....therefore being kept on the shelf was his choice, not theirs
4/26/12 1:01 PM
ToxMo
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He shouldn't have even had the chance to fight Askren the first time. He was gifted with some questionable decision wins in that tourney Phone Post
4/26/12 1:19 PM
Chris27

Well its good for him, he got his release, he fights in Legacy and his deal with them allows him to leave if the UFC calls him.

So go win a fight or two and maybe UFC comes calling. Maybe Jay vs Rory? I think that would be a good step up for Rory.

maybe he gets a late replacement fight on a UFC card if someone gets injured.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.