UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> New found passion at age 34

4/27/12 8:47 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Jon Murphy
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My body has been beat up from most sports and years of pounding heavy iron. I back in the gym with a vengeance and at the age of 34 years old (I know there's a lot of you that will smirk at this statement), Im leaner, stronger and more explosive than I've ever been. I've been primarily working with the big lifts, kettle bells (2-hand KB swing is w/o a doubt the most efficient exercise in my routine), and many other varieties of conditioning. I've had two lower back surgeries to repair a ruptured disc (both on same level - L5, S1), two shoulder surgeries to repair a torn labrum and cuff, and last July I had both of my knees scoped to repair a torn meniscus in both and some other clean up. I seriously have never felt so motivated and alive.

Here's a pic of my ugly mug:

4/27/12 9:07 AM
vermonter
117 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Were your shoulder surgeries on your left shoulder?

Post your routine, and the progress you've made. Good to hear you're motivated. That's the first, and biggest step.
4/27/12 9:48 AM
turducken
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

you have an absolutely massive head
4/27/12 9:56 AM
Out To Lunch
93 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jon,

That's awesome. What did you do to rehabe your shoulders? What kind of upper body moves do you use to minimize the chance of injuries?
4/27/12 12:01 PM
Deepy
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good luck! It's great to train when you have that passion for it. Phone Post
4/27/12 2:46 PM
aboveandbeyond
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nice, man. You look functionally strong as hell. It's hard to come back from back surgery, especially when you're starting to hit mid 30's.
4/27/12 2:59 PM
sly fox
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

good for you, i busted my neck at 30, its taken me years to rehab, 39 now and am getting back in the swing of things,... 30s the new 20
4/27/12 5:07 PM
Jon Murphy
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks guys. New love like Ive never had. And turducken, my heads enormous, but thanks for the update lol.

Gotta run, but I'll get back and answer all your questions in a bit...
4/27/12 8:08 PM
turducken

lol, you look like the geico caveman, only much much stronger
4/27/12 9:37 PM
KOArtist
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

turducken - you have an absolutely massive head
He bonks his melon on every kettlebell swing...it's just a bit swollen. Phone Post
4/27/12 9:57 PM
ArtWanderlei

34 isn't old if you choose not to let it be.  Great job.
4/27/12 11:44 PM
Jon Murphy

Very true Art Phone Post
4/29/12 1:16 PM
ihitpeople

You look like you mean buisness. Keep it up.
4/30/12 5:38 PM
DrearyWalrus
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good shit, curious as to how/where u fit the double kb swings into your routine Phone Post
4/30/12 8:33 PM
Jon Murphy

Thanks guys. I'm having a hella hard time with my schedule getting on here and getting your questions answered. I'lll be on soon enough....
5/1/12 12:15 AM
12ealdeal

How do you (and others) build "traps" like that?

I incorporate shrugs with every workout...but no dice Phone Post
5/1/12 3:43 PM
jhendo79
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

double kettle bell swings give me that "hold on for dear life" feeling
5/2/12 3:22 AM
BALLSDEEP
157 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

There's a tattoo in the place where your chest use to be:/

JK bro, lookin good.
5/2/12 11:00 AM
12ealdeal

jhendo79 - double kettle bell swings give me that "hold on for dear life" feeling
So .... A kb in each hand? Right? Phone Post
5/7/12 9:58 PM
ironoak

Yo answer the questions already John! Phone Post
5/16/12 11:38 PM
Jon Murphy

As far as incorporating the KB swings, I usually do single KB swings 88 lb and 106 lb. Sets are 5-6 x 30 reps eod. I also do a lot of windmills, Turks, getup situps, and KB woodchops. They (kbs) have literally saved my back after all its been through. They've made my entire body stronger. They are certainly not the end all, be all, but they are an excellent tool.

As far as the traps, shit, Idk lol. I also do a lot of BB and kb cleans and snatches. Fuck curls, fuck tri extensions. Heavy multi joint movements - Push, Pull, Core, Explosive. I stick to that. I do high intensity interval training 3x a week and lift 3x a week. One cardio days I do my kb swings, sledge swings, tire flips, sled pulls, ropes etc. I'm about functional strength and conditioning. I'll post an updated pic. Phone Post
5/16/12 11:58 PM
Jon Murphy

5/17/12 12:00 AM
Jon Murphy

I've leaned out a lot more but my strength is still there. I'm weighing bout 253the in this pic. Snapped yesterday.
5/17/12 11:07 AM
T-Ham
307 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

253??!!

You're lean as hell for a guy your size. Great work.
5/17/12 1:20 PM
HULC
64 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You shaved your belly.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.