UnderGround Forums

Judo/Sambo UnderGround >> European Judo Championships

4/28/12 6:41 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
dudefromisrael
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just ended.

Videos:

http://www.youtube.com/user/GreekJudo/videos 

Results:

http://ijfloadbalancer-815525828.eu-west-1.elb.amazonaws.com/www.judo-world.net/eju/european/2012_chelyabinsk/tta_menue_eju.php 
4/29/12 3:39 AM
JoshuaResnick
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ZEEVI!!!!!
AMAZING. ABSOLUTELY AMAZING.
oldest European champion in history. 35 years old, wins his 4th title and 9th European medal. unreal. he had a streak of 2-3 years in the early 2000's where he was a terror and won consecutive Europeans. then he fell off for awhile, wins slipped and people thought he'd retire soon, especially with the rule changes removing one of his best throws-- teguruma.
All of a sudden, BAM! he is throwing people with drop seio, sode, great ashiwaza, you name it! people even end-up throwing themselves when they fight him...

just amazing to watch. he is doing it 100% just for the love of Judo now too... he can write his own ticket in Israel, and has for some time.
4/29/12 3:52 AM
dudefromisrael
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yep, Zeevi is the man. One of the most beloved athletes down here, even during his "slump" - most athletes will trade their prime with his slump - anyone that knew what's up still liked him. Gem of a guy, hell of a Judoka
4/29/12 5:38 AM
FOX Force Five
73 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04/29/12 5:38 AM
4/29/12 7:46 AM
judoblackbelt
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Appreciatee the update. Surprized he doesn't get more penalties. He seems to be able to frustrate these younger/stronger players with his experience. When they do same side gripping/attack first he can use his te garuma. This weekend I have been watching the Pan Am games (streamed) from Montreal where the US players sent a team. The European championships are much higher caliber of players. thanks.
4/29/12 8:29 AM
judoblackbelt
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Forgot to add about the Russian Aleksandr Mikhailine (32 yrs old) took 1st place in 100+k and Open. Former 3 times World champion is trying to qualify for his 1st Olympics and ranked #29 going into this championship. Hope this puts him in the top 22 for the Olympics.
4/29/12 9:20 AM
dudefromisrael

jbb - about Ze'evi, yea, I agree that he had a 1-2 fights where he went experienced mode and stalled without being penalized. Frustrating your opponent is part of the game in Judo and pretty much any sport. I think psychologically he was spot on and endured a tough test, and he did have a few beautiful throws against very good guys, scored ippons and only had one real tactical match (against the gold medalist from 2008).
4/29/12 5:32 PM
Seong gyeong
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Was surprised about Iliadis losing. He was up by Wazari and Yuko with less than a minute to go, and then.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9j-TDRU_A8Q
4/29/12 5:40 PM
dudefromisrael

^^^^
Holy kosotogari
4/30/12 10:48 AM
judoblackbelt

Maybe gake? 44 sec left. Usually when someone tries the high grip against Iliadis he uranages them. Maybe he was tired. Didn't look like his A game. Zeevi reminds me a little of 81K fighter Ole Bishof. My favorite judoka who can beat you and frustrate you with his A-1 gripping and has all the throws, pins,sunbmissions going for him. The most complete judoka out there.
5/1/12 8:27 AM
dudefromisrael

I don't know how complete Zeevi ground game is. He lost 2 big fights due to Juji and both times he mainly looked surprised. One was in the 2000 Olympics (battle for the Bronze I think) and the other time at a European championship in one of his less than stellar years. 

Great Judoka though. And I don't know this Bishof guy, your Judo is obviously much more knowledgeable than mine
5/1/12 4:02 PM
judoblackbelt

I am judo junkie so to speak. Watched 100's of A level judo events. Ole Bishof is the current 81K Olympic champion. I don't think he ever lost a match on the ground. He is one of the most complete fighter's today. No weakness in his game other than his age, 32. He beat Jae Bum Kim (South Korea) in 2008 Bejing Olympics for the Gold metal and a host of Silver medalists from previous Olympics in 2008. Jae Bum Kim is currently #2 world rank in 81K.
5/1/12 4:54 PM
dudefromisrael

Thanks for the info

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.