UnderGround Forums

GamerGround >> Horrible News: S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 canceled

5/1/12 4:21 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Jack Carter
643 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://www.gamespot.com/news/stalker-2-canceled-6373393

Ukranian studio GSC Game World shut down and shooter sequel scrapped; developers form Vostok Games and begin work on Survarium.

Developer GSC Game World and its postapocalyptic shooter sequel S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 have been shut down, the company announced today. Explaining the game's cancellation on its official Facebook page, the studio said its new investors were not able to reach an agreement with the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. rights owners.

In a follow-up post, the developer said that since December 2011, the full development team worked without pay on S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 while new investors were sought, and ultimately never found.

Trouble for GSC Game World and S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 was first revealed in December 2011, when GSC Game World founder and CEO Sergei Grigorovich reportedly decided to close the studio, leaving the fate of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 up in the air. In January, the company was happy to report it was back to work on the game, but noted it needed cash, and nothing was certain.

It's not all sad news, as GSC Game World has effectively become Vostok Games, a new studio based in Ukraine. Last month, the developer inked a deal with Vostok Ventures Ltd. to finance the studio's first project, a free-to-play massively multiplayer online first-person shooter tentatively titled Survarium.

The game is set in the near future and centers on a "mass-scale ecological catastrophe" that ravages Earth. Survarium is being built using the developer's proprietary Vostok engine and is expected to be released for the PC at the end of 2013. Its first artwork is embedded above.

The S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games are centered around Chernobyl, which suffered a nuclear reactor meltdown in 1986. In the original game, the town is subjected to a second dose of nuclear fallout, spawning a rash of hideously mutated monsters. GSC Game World released two follow-ups to the original game: Clear Sky and Call of Pripyat.

5/1/12 4:22 AM
Jack Carter
643 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Survarium:

5/1/12 4:23 AM
TUFaintEnuff
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jack Carter -  In a follow-up post, the developer said that since December 2011, the full development team worked without pay on S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 while new investors were sought, and ultimately never found.

ouch.
5/1/12 4:24 AM
Jack Carter

Survarium

Survarium is a free2play MMOFPS game set in the near future. The game focuses on a mass- scale ecological catastrophe on Earth, the reasons behind vaguely known.

Impassable woods advance onto cities from every side, maddened animals and birds attack industrial complexes, military structures, warehouses and power plants. Towns are cut off from each other, there are no water supplies, no electricity, gas, communication is lost. Countries collapse, anarchy spreads throughout the world. Now force dictates who to survive. In the meantime, new species of greenery and animals purposely destroy human civilization. Strange plants and mushrooms grow through concrete and steel. Scientists all over the world haplessly try to cope with the anomaly sprawling across the Earth with terrifying speed.

The game is developed with a new proprietary Vostok Engine technology and is planned for release on PC at the end of 2013.

5/1/12 4:57 PM
NotsoMightySkull
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That is bad news. I was a big fan of those games.

I will take a look at this Survarium.

Hope it has resource management in it.

Food, water, etc.
5/2/12 8:30 AM
Sonnen Fanboy
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'll give this a go Phone Post
5/13/12 9:57 PM
Jack Carter

http://www.gamebandits.com/news/s-t-a-l-k-e-r-2-update-game-license-may-have-been-bought-by-bethesda-40088/

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2: [UPDATE] Game license may have been bought by Bethesda

According to recent rumors, it appears fans of STALKER may still have some reason to hope that the series will continue. No other than well-financed development studio Bethesda has reportedly stepped up and acquired the STALKER license. This may mean that S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 may finally get developed and released after all. If this rumor turns out to be true, this would not be the first time Bethesda snaps up an IP with a fan following to develop it.

Fallout 3 is the most obvious example of this type of Bethesda “save a franchise” move.

5/13/12 9:59 PM
Jack Carter

Woooooooooooooooooooooooo-hoooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
5/14/12 4:18 PM
BKViper
464 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bethesda rumor was not true. :-(
Link above has even been updated with new info.
5/14/12 6:10 PM
Jack Carter

Nooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!! Phone Post
5/14/12 6:24 PM
Motivated Penn
70 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Loved Stalker. Accepted (under doubt) Clear Sky. Loved Call of Pripyat.

Reason for not enjoying Clear Sky as much? Factions. Fuck factions. This is why I did NOT like Fallout 3: New Vegas. Protip to devs: don't add factions. Sequels often have factions.

Example: Clear Sky, New Vegas, GTA2. I'm sure there are more :D

I did play it trough though, of COURSE. Still decent!

There is a factor in video games that is hard to capture and impossible to explain unless it is experienced: atmosphere. These games have atmosphere in spades. The first Stalker game, when you are in the very first camp, listening to these Ukrainian/Russian stalkers and adventurers sitting around the camp fire playing guitar and singing, the wind is blowing, it may be raining.... I am such a sucker for this. I adore these games.

Too bad they yanked the sequel. We'll see what happens. I still have Metro 2033(?) to complete.

"Get out of here, Stalker!"
5/17/12 5:18 PM
NotsoMightySkull
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I remember just starting that game and barely making it out of a gun fight. I was walking and ran into a couple stalkers sitting at a camp fire playing guitar. I chilled with them for awhile. They helped me kill a pigdog and a bandit, I thought it was pretty cool. Not many other games come close in the atmosphere department.

I did not mind the factions much.
It was cool to hold down the train yard with your buddies.
Except you had to do it constantly.

5/17/12 10:19 PM
Jack Carter

NotsoMightySkull - I remember just starting that game and barely making it out of a gun fight. I was walking and ran into a couple stalkers sitting at a camp fire playing guitar. I chilled with them for awhile. They helped me kill a pigdog and a bandit, I thought it was pretty cool. Not many other games come close in the atmosphere department.

I did not mind the factions much.
It was cool to hold down the train yard with your buddies.
Except you had to do it constantly.

Which did you play first? Shadow of Chernobyl? Phone Post
8/25/12 3:50 AM
Jack Carter

http://www.forbes.com/sites/danielnyegriffiths/2012/07/31/stalker-2-back-on-back-at-bethesda/

S.T.A.L.K.E.R 2 - Back On, Back At Bethesda?

The first rumors that Bethesda Softworks had purchased the rights to S.T.A.L.K.E.R’s unfinished sequel, abandoned when the Ukrainian studio GSC Game World suddenly shut down the project, circulated in April of this year. At the time the studio head Sergei Grigorovich responded by declaring on his Facebook page that he had not sold any of the IP rights to the S.T.A.L.K.E.R franchise.

However, similar rumors have now resurfaced, in a modified form, after the Russian games blogger and PR worker Sergey Galonkin – as spotted by PC gaming site Rock, Paper, Shotgun – credited a story on his blog to unnamed but trusted sources. According to these sources, Grigorovich has retained the rights to all manifestations of S.T.A.L.K.E.R except for the rights to make the sequel as a game. Further, Bethesda have indeed purchased these rights, and are planning to make a sequel to S.T.A.L.K.E.R using their own engine and platform – that is, presumably, the Creation engine used for Skyrim.

Bethesda have said in the past that they planned to use the Creation engine for at least one more project – although one should not draw too much meaning from a statement of the blindingly obvious.

(UPDATE: Bethesda have responded to inquiries, predictably, with “no comment”.)

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.