UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> DFW: BJ Penn declined Gil, return at 170

5/3/12 5:31 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1064 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

"I tried to do [Melendez vs. Penn], but it was at the time when BJ was like, 'Yeah, I'm not fighting for a while,'" UFC President White told MMAjunkie.com.

"He wants to come back," White said of Penn.

"I'm done with telling him where to go as far as weight goes. The guy's handled himself in both weight divisions, and if he wants to come back at 170 – plus you get to an age where cutting down to 155 just doesn't make sense anymore."

"(Penn will return) whenever he's ready. That's up to him. Whenever he's ready. I don't ever push guys. Guys know when they're ready. Guys know when they want to come back.

"This isn't a sport where you can just say, 'I know your head isn't in it right now, but get back over here and fight.' This isn't that kind of sport. Guys let me know when they're ready to fight."

"Gilbert Melendez is a Strikeforce fighter. He's been great in dealing with it. He wants to come over here, and he wants to challenge himself against the best, and I know a lot of other people want to see it, too, but he's in that Strikeforce deal.

"The thing that sucks for Gilbert and that's disappointing is that I was 100 percent fired up and gung ho to go over there and work on Strikeforce. The whole thing fell apart. I know he's bummed out about, and other people are, too, but it is what it is. It just didn't work out."

Read entire article...

5/3/12 5:36 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
jjj2121
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

lol BJ walks 165, he'll never hit an age where cutting doesn't make sense.  He's an average at best sized LW.

Sure do miss watching him fight tho.
5/3/12 5:38 PM
chesty_1775

jjj2121 -  lol BJ walks 165, he'll never hit an age where cutting doesn't make sense.  He's an average at best sized LW.

BJ is closer to 180 than he is 165
5/3/12 5:40 PM
jjj2121

Edited: 05/03/12 5:41 PM
chesty_1775 - 
jjj2121 -  lol BJ walks 165, he'll never hit an age where cutting doesn't make sense.  He's an average at best sized LW.

BJ is closer to 180 than he is 165

Maybe when fat and not training.  He weighed in jeans vs Fitch at 169 for a WW fight.  That's not somebody who is cutting to make WW.  He's not a big guy.  Had a little pudge vs Diaz at 170.  There is never a time when the cut to LW is going to kill him, it's a matter of want.
5/3/12 5:41 PM
dahosse
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mentally, he can't diet. At this point, I'm chalking it up to a placebo-effect kind of thing. If thinks he can't diet, and he thinks it affects his training and execution in some marked kind of way, then controlling his intake is counter-productive to him being successful.

Although the fact remains that while he is one of the greatest ever p4p and overall fighters in terms of physical gifts and fighting mindset, he is too small to successfully campaign at anything north of 155 for any length of time.

But, you know- fuck it. Most guys aren't champs. Doesn't mean they can't get in there and make some sparks fly. Phone Post
5/3/12 5:42 PM
Prepare2Die

I dot have much interest in BJ at 170. I'm more interested in him at 155.

I could be wrong but is Matt Hughes BJs only victory at 170? Phone Post
5/3/12 5:42 PM
RKing85
148 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'll be honest, I have very little interest in Penn ever fighting again.
5/3/12 5:48 PM
buckshot44
58 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good question, why the fuck isn't Melendez in the UFC again? Cliff notes anyone? I completely missed the part where things fell apart. What happened?
5/3/12 5:55 PM
UGCTT_PosterBoy
281 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mix6APlix - LOL @ offering the GOAT a Strikefarce fighter.
I've not seen one positive post on this forum from you.your a waste of a blue name. Phone Post
5/3/12 6:01 PM
Granpa
55 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

WTF is Dana talking about? HE F*CKIN OWNS STRIKEFORCE!! What the hell do you mean you couldn't get it done?
5/3/12 6:02 PM
TheRaider
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He should quit trying to make friends fight. He had to trick BJ in to signing the bout agreement against Nick.

Quit being a dick DFW. Phone Post
5/3/12 6:02 PM
kinkle

I am a BJ fan, but Gilbert would've demolished him...
5/3/12 6:12 PM
Tomato Can
87 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BJ should just stay retired. He's obviously best at LW but can't motivate himself enough to stay in shape and make the weight, so he just takes fights at WW where he's a fringe contender at best. Why even fight at all?
5/3/12 6:13 PM
dahosse
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

kinkle - I am a BJ fan, but Gilbert would've demolished him...
:| Phone Post
5/3/12 6:27 PM
MMALOGIC

BJ on some TRT and horsemeat would be wrecking everyone put infront of him.
5/3/12 6:31 PM
Radio Raheem
1325 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I just want to see him fight again. In either weight class. Phone Post
5/3/12 6:50 PM
iodio

Bj always brings it so i wanna see him back to give everyone a hard fight at whatever weight he choose to step in.
5/3/12 6:53 PM
Humphrey

Mix6APlix - LOL @ offering the GOAT a Strikefarce fighter.

don't you mean the guy that's failed to win more title fights than anyone in the history of the UFC?
5/3/12 7:01 PM
Jsteven
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

is it still considered weight cutting when in shape you only weigh 5 lbs over the limit? I lose 5 with a good shit.
5/3/12 7:18 PM
xsrg95
236 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BJ Penn lose or win would still be awesome to have him back. Phone Post
5/3/12 7:43 PM
Chris27

BJ vs Rory.

It wont be an easy fight by any means but that could be the type of fight that makes Rory a star.

BJ/Rory on Fox in Aug.

Lombard/Stann
BJ/Rory
Machida/Bader
Happa/Rothwell

5/3/12 7:51 PM
pennviachoke
1061 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Radio Raheem - I just want to see him fight again. In either weight class. Phone Post
This...no matter where it happens or how much it costs or who he fights, I will watch that fight.

GOAT is a little stretch but def. a top 5 all-time fighter EVAR!! Phone Post
5/3/12 9:19 PM
HowTateRowdysPeePee
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Joshuo J Kingo_MJTT - 
Prepare2Die - I dot have much interest in BJ at 170. I'm more interested in him at 155.

Correct. He's 2-4-1 @ WW Phone Post

Incorrect, he has wins over Duane Ludwig at WW, Rodrigo Grace at MW and Renzo Gracie at open weight
5/3/12 9:21 PM
dirtstyle
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's amazing how much people can hate a fighter who just wants to fight the best at his natural weight.. Phone Post
5/3/12 9:22 PM
HowTateRowdysPeePee
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

HowTateRowdysPeePee - 
Joshuo J Kingo_MJTT - 
Prepare2Die - I dot have much interest in BJ at 170. I'm more interested in him at 155.

Correct. He's 2-4-1 @ WW Phone Post

Incorrect, he has wins over Duane Ludwig at WW, Rodrigo Grace at MW and Renzo Gracie at open weight
*Rodrigo Gracie
As well as those 2 wins over Matt Hughes

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.