UnderGround Forums

NFLGround >> Your 2012 Kansas City Chiefs!!!

5/4/12 3:49 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Doomsday
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Quarterbacks

7 Matt Cassel
9 Brady Quinn
12 Ricky Stanzi

Running Backs

38 Shane Bannon FB
25 Jamaal Charles
32 Shaun Draughn
-- Nate Eachus
-- Taylor Gentry FB
42 Cyrus Gray
40 Peyton Hillis
22 Dexter McCluster WR

Wide Receivers

89 Jonathan Baldwin
-- Josh Bellamy
15 Steve Breaston
10 Terrance Copper
88 Junior Hemingway
11 Jeremy Horne
-- Brandon Kinnie
5 Zeke Markshausen
84 Jamar Newsome
83 Devon Wylie

Tight Ends

-- Tim Biere
80 Kevin Boss
87 Steve Maneri
81 Tony Moeaki
85 Jake O'Connell

Offensive Linemen

76 Branden Albert T
71 Jeff Allen T/G
73 Jon Asamoah G
60 Rob Bruggeman C
-- Justin Cheadle G
-- Cam Holland C
66 Darryl Harris G
61 Rodney Hudson C/G
65 Ryan Lilja G
70 David Mims T
79 Donald Stephenson T
74 Eric Winston T

Defensive Linemen

97 Allen Bailey DE
90 Brandon Bair DE
72 Glenn Dorsey DE
99 Amon Gordon NT
94 Tyson Jackson DE
-- Ethan Johnson DE
60 Jerome Long NT
77 Luke Patterson DE
92 Dontari Poe NT
95 Jerrell Powe NT
98 Anthony Toribio NT

Linebackers

59 Jovan Belcher ILB
57 Caleb Campbell OLB/SS
93 Cory Greenwood ILB
91 Tamba Hali OLB
-- Dexter Heyman ILB
50 Justin Houston OLB
56 Derrick Johnson ILB
51 Gabe Miller OLB
55 Cameron Sheffield OLB
52 Brandon Siler ILB
96 Andy Studebaker OLB

Defensive Backs

21 Javier Arenas CB
39 Mikail Baker CB
29 Eric Berry SS
30 Jalil Brown CB/FS
34 Travis Daniels CB
-- Jean Fanor SS
-- Chandler Fenner FS
24 Brandon Flowers CB
-- Tysyn Hartman SS
23 Kendrick Lewis FS
41 Kyle McCarthy SS
49 DeQuan Menzie CB
-- Terrance Parks SS
35 Jacques Reeves CB
26 Stanford Routt CB
-- Neiko Thorpe FS
27 Donald Washington SS

Special Teams

2 Dustin Colquitt P
43 Thomas Gafford LS
6 Ryan Succop K
-- Matt Szymanski K
5/4/12 3:59 AM
Doomsday

Quietly building the strongest 53 man roster in the league!
5/4/12 2:53 PM
Slydawg

No Dewayne Bowe?
5/4/12 8:28 PM
Doomsday

He has not signed his franchise tender. So, no he is not on the roster.
5/5/12 1:54 AM
Waylay
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What will you do when Poe goes bust?
5/5/12 2:50 AM
Doomsday

Put Powe in there.
5/8/12 12:33 PM
east
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Im looking forward to the return of Eric Berry. Curious about how your RB's will fare as well.
5/8/12 9:57 PM
mr biggelsworth

I'm a pretty big Chiefs fan and check out the chiefsplanet.com board once in a while. KC has been patient with Casshole and I was until sometime last year I started agreeing that he will never be a great QB, the consensus is that everything around him has to be perfect for him to ever win a SB. You could say that about most NFL QB's and he is nothing special, I'd like to see an upgrade.

Running game will be sick with return of charles and adding Hellis, the o-line lost the weak link in Richardson and added possibly the best RT in the league in Winston, easily a top 5 oline. If Bowe returns and Baldwin emerges and plays to his potential, and IMO I think the guy has all the tools, then this will be a dangerous WR core. Really the weakest link is at QB and with the new OC we will see how he can scheme and put things together.

Pioli takes a lot of shit but IMO the guy has made the most of this opportunity and when it comes to the draft he is making the right calls, the draft is just a gamble and he has made rational picks that just end up busts. I am down for being patient with Pioli another year or two I just get pissed off that he doesn't venture off his Patriots roots and wants NE sloppy seconds/thirds for coaches.

I can't wait to see if Poe pans out and KC is due for a dlineman to deliver and not be a bust. Sims, Siavi, Jackson, Dorsey is just a run stopper and should be in a 4-3, I don't know I just hope it works out and I think Romeo will be the reason why he works out.

Tamba is an absolute killer and high motor guy, one of the best rushers in the league easily and coming out his combine was mediocre but combine doesn't measure heart and motor which this guy has the best motor in the league. Secondary is loaded with talent, just waiting on the line to develop and need an upgrade for Belcher at MLB.

In all honesty I don't see how the Bronco's don't win the division but of course I am pulling for the Chiefs
5/11/12 5:27 AM
Doomsday

Neither Jackson nor Dorsey is a bust. They do what they are supposed to do. Stop the run. The whole premise of our defense is to tie up 5 offensive lineman with 3 defensive lineman. This frees up the linebackers to make all the plays, anything the d-line gets is gravy. Jackson and Dorsey lead the league in STOPS for 3-4 ends. Hali, Houston and Johnson can all blitz very well and our coverage has been excellent.

If Routt can play the 2nd corner as well as he should in our defense, we should be top 5. Cassel has all the tools right now. We will see if he can get it done. I'm thinking that Ricky Stanzi will end up being our QB next year.
5/13/12 12:36 AM
mr biggelsworth

I'd rather see Quinn than Stanzi.

When I see a DE go 5th overall whether its Dorsey or Jackson I want to see pro bowlers, Dorsey I'd be ok with for a 2nd rounder, a big 3-4 de to stop the run and tie up blocks 5th overall? OK I guess but then do it again a couple years later, Jackson who will probably have his last year in KC and go off and be considered a very mediocre 3-4 DE. When you drafted as a DE in the top 5 you gotta be a bull like Ngata, Justin Smith (killer against run a had like 8 sacks last year), Darnell Dockett (51 tackles 3.5 sacks). I agreed with the picks at the time since on paper they make sense and you hope to get a player like those mentioned above or a Brett Keisel (7th rd), or aaron smith, Poe looks good in the combine but its a high risk/reward thing
5/14/12 11:55 PM
AmmoMan
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Grew up in KC, and havn't been this excited for a season in quite some time. The depth that this team has put together quietly in the past couple of years is very impressive. Plenty of playmakers on both sides of the ball. Chiefs are gonna have a great year! Can't wait.
5/22/12 2:16 PM
138 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

There is no way KC will come close to Denver next year.

Here's why:

Last year we had the best running team in the NFL. We have the best young Oline in the NFL. We also have very good WR's. Now you add Manning and we will be carving defenses up with ease. Once we get a lead we will turn it over to our running game and that will make Denver VERY tough to beat.

We were a VERY good defensive team last year. So good that our DC is not the HC of Oakland. We upgraded in my opinion with Jack Del Rio coming in. Knowing that we will often times be playing with the lead we added Tracey Porter and Drayton Florence to the team as corners. Porter is one of the better cover corners in the league, and Florence can cover the slot with the best of them.

Add in the fact that we will be scoring a lot of points this year, and you will see other teams playing catch up with us. Well obvious passing situations are not something you want to have happen when you play Denver because we can come after you with Dumervil, Miller, Ayers, Williams, Woodyard, etc.

I think we also at least challenge Oakland for having the best punter and kicker in the conference. Prater can hit 55+ yard FGs pretty regularly, and Colquitt bailed us out of trouble a million times last year with 55-70 yard punts.

Long story short, Denver is going to be a VERY tough team to beat this year. KC will be battling with the Chargers for 2nd place and maybe a wild card spot.
5/22/12 2:26 PM
SiftMyMind

Re. above post...that fucking Prater is a total beast!
5/22/12 4:08 PM
138 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

SiftMyMind - Re. above post...that fucking Prater is a total beast!

He really is. I didn;t think we would see a great kicker in Denver for a while after Elam left, but Prater is moving up into the the elite kicker status. He routinely hits 60+ in practice. Last year in camp I believe he hit a 70 yarder.

With him and Colquitt we should win the field position battle this year. Last year field position was big because we needed a short field with Tebow, but with Manning it is not as important. However if we are able to give Manning a short field that is BIG trouble for opposing teams, especially because Prater can hit 50+ yard kicks in the game pretty easily, and did often last year. Basically with Denver now if we get on your side of the 50 we are scoring points.

We can go back to old school Denver football like we had with Elway and TD. The offense comes out guns blazing, gets a lead, and then turn it over to our running game. At the time it was TD, but I think the commitee of McGahee, Moreno, Hillman, and Ball will be more than enough. We have so many weapons on offense it is pretty scary. I think the we have more weapons now then we did during the 97-99 run where we won more games than any other team in history over a 3 year period. That team had Elway, Rod Smith, Eddie Mac, TD, and Shannon Sharpe. Sharpe and Elway are in the HOF, and Rod Smith and TD shouldn't be too far behind. So they were special players. But I think the collection of DT, Decker, McGahee, Moreno, Tamme, Dressen, Stokely, Hill, and the rookie Hillman (who I think is going to flourish in the Denver system) gives us more options than we had at that time.

I think our defense is on par with those teams, and I think we can get after the QB a little better with this defense than we did with that one. That defense had to bring a lot of blitzes, and scheme to get pressure. This defense, with the addition of Wolffe I think will be better at getting to the QB without all the elaborate blitz schemes we ran then. In one of the Super Bowls shows that highlight the Green Bay Denver game Brett Favre said they hadn;t seen the zone blitzes we ran against them at any point before. Under Del Rio we will no doubt bring pressure, but we will be able to get to the QB without doing all that as well. Doom, Miller, and Champ are simply just special players. Then guys like Ayers (who is a good DE, but McDaniels picked him way to early), DJ, Woodyard, Tracey Porter,Drayton Florence, Michael Adams, Ty Warren, etc are a great collection of talent around them.

I try and look at Denver as though I was coaching against them and had to come up with a plan to beat them, and while every team is beatable, I think Denver gives a lot of people a lot of problems. Try and stop our passing attack, and we will run all over you. Bring too many in the box and we know what Manning is going to do. Defensively though we are good at stopping the run, with Manning as the QB teams will have to pass a lot to catch up/keep up and that means guys like Doom and Miller will be able to pin their ears back and come after the QB. I think the recipe to beating Denver is coming out and trying to establish the running game on us, and winning the field position battle so we have to go 70-80 yards every time we get the ball. But even then the game should be close as Prater can hit from just about any where, Colquitt can flip the field, and at some point Manning will figure out your defense. I am excited for the season this year.
5/22/12 5:57 PM

This is from another post just to make sure Doomsday sees it:

Denver cannot say the same? Really. Keep in mind these are the opinions of the NFL experts, not just me. Obviously Manning is leaps and bounds above Cassel. Our rushing attack is better, though Charles is a better RB, our overall game is better. Our Oline is better. Our receiving corps is better (though Bowe is a stud, but I think DT will have a break out year this year), our TE's are better.

Defensively I think our Dline is better simply because Doom is a better pass rusher than anyone on your team. Do not even come at me with Hali, he is VERY good, but Doom has done it for years at multiple positions. At DE Hali was a non factor. Our LB's I will say are a wash as I would put Miller on the same level as Hali, DJ Williams is, and has been one of the most underrated LBs in the game. Wesley Woodyard is a stud, and Joe Mays is below average but the other guys make it work.

Our corners are better, yes Champ, Tracey Porter, Drayton Florence, and Chris Harris are better than your corners.

You have us at safety.

Our punter and kicker are both better as well.

Javier Arenas is in my opinion on the brink of being one of the best return men in the NFL. So you are better there. It is laughable to say you are better than Denver.

As far as Romeo having Mannings number, I think you are forgetting he was the DC of a New England team that was stacked. And even then Manning gave as good as he got. Your defense has no where NEAR the talent the Pats did. Richard Seymour, Bruschi, Wilfork, Warren, Harrison, Asante Samuel, etc. Ot didn't have much to do with Romeo. How was Romeos record against Manning when he was the coach in Cleveland?

You excitement for the season is good, but I don't see the Chiefs competing with Denver at all this year.
5/22/12 6:17 PM

When you play Denver you will be in a shootout with us, you will not win that. You will be forced to pass and Doom, Miller, and associates coming after Cassel without worrying about the run is not good for Cassel, especially with Champ, Porter, and Florence covering your receivers. Denver upgraded an already very good defense (we won 8 games with a QB who had a lot of troubles completing a pass), and we drastically upgraded an offense that was already the best at running the ball, and everyone knew we were going to run the ball. How much better do you think it will be with the same Oline, same RB's (with the addition of Ronnie Hillman our of SDSU who is an electrifying player), and the addition of Jason Hill, Jacob Tamme, Joel Dressen, and Brandon Stokely?

Love your enthusiasm but the Cheifs only hope this year is a wild card.
5/23/12 3:16 AM
Waylay
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

303 - 

We were a VERY good defensive team last year.

Last years defensive rankings

20th in yards per game
24th in points per game
28th in Passer Rating
21st in Yards per pass attempt
13th in Yards per rush attempt
23rd in Negative Pass Play % (sacks/intercept)
6th in 3rd down in conversions
23rd in pass completion %

There is just no way you can objectively call the Broncos last year an average defense, let alone a good one. They were below average in almost every category you can measure for defense.

They may be better this year with the new additions. But only time will tell.

5/23/12 11:43 AM
east
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

matt cassel say's he right "there" with Manning, Rivers & the QB Elite of the NFL.

http://www.kcchiefs.com/media-center/videos/Matt-Cassel-excited-for-2012/a285ad98-bd65-41bc-b0d5-bc4269392126
5/23/12 1:27 PM

Waylay - 
303 - 

20th in yards per game
24th in points per game
28th in Passer Rating

There is just no way you can objectively call the Broncos last year an average defense, let alone a good one. They were below average in almost every category you can measure for defense.

As with everything in football one side of the ball has an effect on others. Our defense was on the field A LOT last year so it shouldn't come as a surprise that the numbers look like that. You have to have a pretty good defense to win the games that we won as we knew our offense was not going to be putting a ton of points on the board. You also have to have a good defense if your DC gets hired away as a HC.

I would compare this to the New England defense. The numbers don't look so good, however they were on the field a lot, but for different reasons, their offense actually was scoring a lot of points. Our defense was on the field a ton because 80% of the time we would go 3 and out.

and LMAO at Cassel saying he is anywhere near Manning, Rivers, or even Carson Palmer for that matter. Matt Cassel is a joke, and he is going to have a VERY long couple games against Denver. Now that we have 2 corners who can lock a WR down in Porter and Champ, and a 3rd corner that would start on most other NFL teams in Drayton Florence as our nickel back once Manning and the offense gets us a lead Cassel will me a target for Doom, Miller, and whoever else Del Rio decides to bring at him.
5/23/12 5:50 PM
Waylay

303 - 
Waylay - 
303 - 

20th in yards per game
24th in points per game
28th in Passer Rating

As with everything in football one side of the ball has an effect on others. Our defense was on the field A LOT last year so it shouldn't come as a surprise that the numbers look like that. You have to have a pretty good defense to win the games that we won as we knew our offense was not going to be putting a ton of points on the board. You also have to have a good defense if your DC gets hired away as a HC.

I would compare this to the New England defense. The numbers don't look so good, however they were on the field a lot, but for different reasons, their offense actually was scoring a lot of points. Our defense was on the field a ton because 80% of the time we would go 3 and out.

The Patriots and Broncos defense do indeed make an interesting comparison. On total yardage the Patriots were ranked 31st. The Broncos were ranked 20th. But as I said in another thread, gross yardage is mostly meaningless.

The Patriots were ranked 15th in points allowed. The Broncos were ranked 24th. The Broncos defense was on the field for 32:04 a game. A terrible stat, and definitely the offense contributed to that. But the Patriots defense was on the field for 31:13. Not that far behind the Broncos.

The difference between the two defenses was efficiency. The Patriots made teams go 19.2 yards for every point scored. 2nd in the league. The Broncos made teams go 14.68 yards per point, 24th in the league. New England allowed opposed quarterbacks to post a 86.11 qb rating. The Broncos allowed a 93.12 rating.

The Patriots defense was on the field almost as much as the Broncos, and gave up less points, and defended the pass much better. The Broncos defense was average last year. Will they be better this year. Week one will start to reveal the answer.

5/23/12 10:53 PM

Well we had to do something right as Dennis Allen wouldn't have been one of the hottest names for HC's (almost as high as Mike McCoy).

Jack Del Rio is an upgrade, and I think this season Denver should be one of the top teams in the NFL on both sides of the ball.
5/23/12 11:36 PM
Waylay

303 - Well we had to do something right as Dennis Allen wouldn't have been one of the hottest names for HC's (almost as high as Mike McCoy).

Jack Del Rio is an upgrade, and I think this season Denver should be one of the top teams in the NFL on both sides of the ball.

They absolutely may be one of the top sides this year. That is the joy of the off season. Every fanbase has new hope (except for the Browns, they will always suck)
5/24/12 6:15 PM

Waylay - 
303 - Well we had to do something right as Dennis Allen wouldn't have been one of the hottest names for HC's (almost as high as Mike McCoy).

They absolutely may be one of the top sides this year. That is the joy of the off season. Every fanbase has new hope (except for the Browns, they will always suck)

Just like every parent thinks their kid is "special", but last time Del Rio and Fox were coaching together in Carolina in 2002 I believe that was their Super Bowl year and they were #2 in the NFL in defense. If our defense plays the same way it did last year with Manning at QB we will win the 10 games I am thinking we will win.
9/16/12 8:37 PM
east

All quiet on the Chiefs front eh?
12/2/12 10:51 PM
supersaiyan

chiefs=fail

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.