UnderGround Forums

MMA Memorabilia UnderGround >> My friend Charlies poster restoration site

5/6/12 11:40 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
the chip guy
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05/06/12 11:41 AM

For those of you who have a beat up poster that needs a little love before it goes into a frame check out my friend Charles site.

http://www.pulpfixin.com/

Check out the before and after on my 57 and NOES he did, if you click on the picture it will zoom in on that spot... cool feature!

http://pulpfixin.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/poster2_comparison.jpg

He has only been doing restorations for a month and I was literally the first guy to send him stuff but his work has impressed me and is much better then guy's like Chris Cloutier who offers a $99 linen backing service on ebay.

For something small (B2) with minimal touch ups he only charges $65 per poster but if your poster is bigger and needs a lot of work (tape removal, paper fills) it will end up costing more. His turn around time is about 4 to 8 week on a poster.

If your looking for someone who is NOT going to treat you like a bag of $$$ and who is willing to work on newer posters (some restorers won't touch them) hit my friend Charlie up. He is a collector first, not some guy looking to make money off of us.  
5/6/12 11:54 AM
grkblood

Joe Show Radio, Owner
 thanks, I might send my 19 off to him and see what he can do with it.
5/6/12 11:56 AM
grkblood

Joe Show Radio, Owner
 Chip, I noticed that linen backers dont trim the poster all the way. How do you go about storing these considering they wont fit in standard mylar sleeve sizes?
5/6/12 12:34 PM
Dawggy
49 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good shit, chip. I've got a b1 pride 23 that could use some love. May check him out. Phone Post
5/6/12 2:40 PM
the chip guy

grkblood -  Chip, I noticed that linen backers dont trim the poster all the way. How do you go about storing these considering they wont fit in standard mylar sleeve sizes?

order a custom mylar sleeve? I think they leave the extra linen on so the poster can clip into a frame easily I don't know if it can or should be trimmed down to the edge of the poster?
5/6/12 3:21 PM
ricksongjj

How would this effect the value of a poster?
Would he do a Pride 1 flyer?
5/6/12 4:06 PM
the chip guy

If you did it to a mint poster the value would go down imo, if you had a beat up poster restored the value should go up but not much more then the restoration cost.
5/6/12 4:32 PM
ricksongjj

I'll definitely keep that in mind if I ever come across a badly damaged poster,its nice knowing they can be restored.
5/6/12 6:07 PM
grizz632
485 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I might check him out. I called a place here in Chicago and they quoted me $60, maybe more if touchups are needed. I'm still deciding whether to take my folded Pride GP eyeball to them or find someone else. I've got a couple K-1 posters that were folded also, but I'm not sure if they're worth backing or not
5/6/12 6:53 PM
the chip guy

I'm sending Charlie my eyeball poster in a few days, so if you can wait a bit grizz i'll let you know how that one turns out.

Hix, I don't think he would have any problem doing a flyer
5/6/12 7:31 PM
grizz632
485 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've had that poster since a few weeks after the event happened, no reason I can't wait a bit longer

I may take one of the K-1 posters to the local place just to see what kind of job they do in the meantime. I'd be less upset if that got screwed up then my eyeball poster Phone Post
5/6/12 8:59 PM
armbarheelhook
76 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

good info chip...
looks like that would require alot of patience and one to be meticulous in details..

I wonder if/how they can restore color fade.. ie. from the sun, etc. if at all possible? Phone Post
5/7/12 1:04 PM
bongwater7654
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This is awesome I might see if they can work do anything with my battlecade poster Phone Post
5/15/12 4:38 PM
tjsuckerpunch

restored posters are worth about 60% normal value
5/15/12 4:40 PM
hunto21

That's kind of common with any piece of memorabilia. Restored is always worth less than original.
5/15/12 4:48 PM
the chip guy

hunto21 - That's kind of common with any piece of memorabilia. Restored is always worth less than original.

Not if your original poster has significant damage. If you restore a mint rolled poster yes the value would go down.

5/15/12 4:52 PM
hunto21

Well of course. I was talking about a restored mint vs. original mint. The original mint would be worth a lot more.
5/15/12 4:56 PM
hunto21

Is he able to remove autographs from posters? That would seem like a valuable skill considering so many nice pride posters have some ugly huge sigs on them...
5/16/12 1:52 AM
tjsuckerpunch

the chip guy - 
hunto21 - That's kind of common with any piece of memorabilia. Restored is always worth less than original.

Not if your original poster has significant damage. If you restore a mint rolled poster yes the value would go down.

its good to see Hunto still is talking out his ass
5/16/12 3:01 AM
hunto21

Edited: 05/16/12 3:11 AM
Just trying to pick a fight on the Internet? Wow you're cool/tough!
5/16/12 4:36 AM
tjsuckerpunch

nope just pointing out you posting just to see yourself post is pathetic, you bring nothing to any post.

you repeat shit you read like you know what you're talkiing about and make yourself look dumb, thats all
5/16/12 5:02 AM
hunto21

Yeah, just what I thought....
5/17/12 9:03 PM
the chip guy

Edited: 05/17/12 9:03 PM
I just got my 06' Gp back from Charlie today and it looks beautiful!!!!

It's hard to describe what a restored poster looks like in person. I can't see the fold lines anymore unless i'm 12 inches from the poster and have a the right angle of light. The paper looks more textured now (not as smooth) but that's probably because of how it bonded to the linen? You only notice this when your inches from the poster tho.

I had Charlie leave extra linen on the poster so it fits into a 24x36 frame perfectly and i'm glad I did that, it makes framing it so much easier.

@ Hunto idk if he can remove a sig yet? Charlie is still new at this... give him a year or two and i'm sure he will figure out how to or he will just be good enough to paint over one by then.

@armbarheelhook, I've seen older faded posters restored to look new bright and crisp. But again I don't know if charlie can do that to our newer posters just yet. That would be a good question for him. 
9/17/12 10:01 PM
pulpfixin
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

the chip guy - I just got my 06' Gp back from Charlie today and it looks beautiful!!!!

It's hard to describe what a restored poster looks like in person. I can't see the fold lines anymore unless i'm 12 inches from the poster and have a the right angle of light. The paper looks more textured now (not as smooth) but that's probably because of how it bonded to the linen? You only notice this when your inches from the poster tho.

I had Charlie leave extra linen on the poster so it fits into a 24x36 frame perfectly and i'm glad I did that, it makes framing it so much easier.

@ Hunto idk if he can remove a sig yet? Charlie is still new at this... give him a year or two and i'm sure he will figure out how to or he will just be good enough to paint over one by then.

@armbarheelhook, I've seen older faded posters restored to look new bright and crisp. But again I don't know if charlie can do that to our newer posters just yet. That would be a good question for him. 

Finally found time Chip!

http://www.abideposters.com/apf_junk/092012/IMG_0182.JPG

http://www.abideposters.com/apf_junk/092012/IMG_0184.JPG
9/17/12 10:39 PM
the chip guy

Oh, snap!!!! looking good!!!! It's going to be worth the wait once I get them in frames. ;-)

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.