UnderGround Forums

MMA Memorabilia UnderGround >> My friend Charlies poster restoration site

9/17/12 11:13 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
i remember halloween
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Charlie is legit.  He restored 2 of my posters, a Pride 18 and a GP 03 pink flower from the absurdity of their former condition.  I highly recommend him.
9/19/12 6:44 AM
vegas_guy

I'm highly interested in Hunto's question of removing sigs, more importantly, personalization since BJ always wants to personalize. If you ever hear that he figures how to do that, please let me know.
9/21/12 6:24 PM
pulpfixin
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks for the complements D!

I'll keep working on the sig issue. I'll keep doing more research for that non-invasive way to remove one... Sounds like the MMA guys love their Sharpies! Else currently, most removals would involve backing and in-painting...
9/21/12 7:34 PM
mmagirl104
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That's amazing work, love seeing the before and after pics.
9/22/12 3:57 PM
hunto21

What exactly does linen backing do for the poster? Does it hurt the value? I'm a newb so any help appreciated...
11/17/12 8:42 PM
pulpfixin
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Well I cut one down chip...

http://www.pulpfixin.com/static_photos/mountain_comp.jpg

Finished off the Pride 1, I was a little diappointed with how Takada came out:

http://www.pulpfixin.com/static_photos/Pride_Play2.jpg

:)...

I'll let K post the rest if he wants... It was quite the little bitch regarding the colors...

So with the Pride 1 done, we can get back on the other two...
11/17/12 8:53 PM
the chip guy

Edited: 11/17/12 8:56 PM

Good by white lines... i'm so sad to see them go!

I think Takada is looks better.... haha!

11/17/12 9:32 PM
ricksongjj

Nice work!
11/17/12 10:41 PM
hunto21

http://www.abideposters.com/pulpfixin/IMG_0005_3.JPG

Happy with how it came out. Charlie put a ton of work into this bad boy. Def appreciate all his hard work. Can't wait to have it hanging next to my pride 5 and 2000 gp posters.
11/17/12 11:07 PM
pulpfixin

Yeah, it was quite difficult because of the background being so solid and consistent, even the slightest contrast in finish made a huge difference in the end result. But when you (or at least myself) aren't concentrating on the fixed parts, as a whole, it (the contrast) is not very noticeable. Although that gold lettering looks to jump out bright, I may have another go at that before I ship...

11/17/12 11:24 PM
the chip guy

That is a huge turn around on the Pride 1!!! The gold does stick out a little tho but it's a night and day difference on the before and after. imo.

11/17/12 11:59 PM
Dawggy
55 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nice work Phone Post
11/18/12 1:09 AM
ricksongjj

Wow! What a difference in the Pride 1.I wish I had known this years ago.I passed on posters that were in horrible condition.
11/18/12 7:59 AM
fakeposterssuck

Hi - thanks for posting this thread a while back.

I had a few clarifications to ask.

Its always been my understanding that PERMANENT restorations MAY have a negative impact on value.

But is linen backing permanent or is it completely reversible? I've read some places online that say it was. Could you verify or debunk that for me?

IF that were true it could only improve value if it improves the display value IMO.

I will be hitting you up soon if thats cool. I have a UFC 2 poster that needs some love.
11/18/12 12:31 PM
hunto21

I think it all depends on what the collectible is. People who collect old coke machines and pedal cars want them restored. People who collect guns want them original. All depends on the item it seems. To my understanding, most poster collectors want the item looking as pristine as possible. I may be wrong, but that's what folks have told me.
11/18/12 1:39 PM
pulpfixin

Edited: 11/18/12 1:46 PM
@ fake... This is a great question and is often asked... I actually just did a blog post yesterday (www.pulpfixin.com) where I talked about different levels of restoration.

As far as it only improving the visual presentation, that is not totally true. For example on the Pride 1 there was foxing and acid build-up on the reverse of the poster which over time could deteriorate the paper and eventually destroy the paper. But it being from 1998ish this was not likely to happen for years and years. During the backing process I deacidified it and washed it with a mild soap; its paper will now last much longer.

As far as reversible the only thing that could be said is that once a poster has been linenbacked it will always have require some type of support. The poster can be isolated again through soaking and removal of the existing support but the poster would still be wet and fragile and in need of support. I think the best reasoning I can offer on backing is that the poster never truly changes composition the poster is still the same poster there is no 'hocus pocus'. On the Pride 1 all the colors used could be simply wiped off with a wet cotton ball... with the exception of a test spot and the gold signature which required acrylic... Sometimes fixatives are used to prevent accidental wipe offs and to even out the contrasts. I don't think that there is a clear answer to what is right or what is wrong. And remember value is truly just what someone is willing to pay...

In the end it is totally up to you. This poster could have simply been preserved with the white cracks and missing corner. I often back my posters and at times do not completely restore them as the damage is not overly distracting. I backed a Magnum Force (Eastwood) and not only left the tape stains but a missing corner because there was no damage to the image. It was clear with the Pride 1 that the damage was distracting...

-Charlie
11/18/12 1:53 PM
fakeposterssuck

awesome post, I pm'ed ya about doing my UFC2 and a few other questions. much appreciated.
11/29/12 10:04 PM
i remember halloween

I personally would pay more for a Charlie quality restored poster than the piece of shit it was before he got his hands on it.

12/1/12 8:34 PM
pulpfixin

Holy Crap my wife amazes me sometimes... Check out the eye poster she just finished...

http://www.pulpfixin.com@ftp.pulpfixin.com/Junk/IMG_0406.JPG

I am not a huge MMA guy, but I am thinking about telling Chip it was a total loss and hanging it up in the poster lair... :)

-Charlie
12/1/12 10:08 PM
ricksongjj

Link didnt work for me.

So can posters be restored with autographs? Lets say you had a signed damaged poster but wanted to keep the signatures.
12/1/12 10:53 PM
pulpfixin

Yep bad link...

Restored:

http://www.pulpfixin.com/Junk/IMG_0406.JPG

Original:

http://www.pulpfixin.com/static_photos/21A_Front_B.jpg
12/1/12 10:54 PM
pulpfixin

@ Rick. Yes the autographs can be protected by applying a fixative to prevent removal... It is much easier to keep them than to rid them...
12/2/12 9:25 AM
fakeposterssuck

amazing job on the eye poster, as soon as I have some funds gonna hit you up!
12/2/12 1:41 PM
ricksongjj

Great work!
12/2/12 2:39 PM
hunto21

http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x430/hunto21/D2859C3C-C9C5-49A4-BF01-D132810875B8-14619-00000E5B9FDBCF57.jpg

In regular room lighting. Looks great.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.