UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Johnny Hendricks: Some Background Info

5/10/12 3:43 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
rufus
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

wiggum -

Both guys had been warned for stalling. With 45 seconds to go, Muz shoots a single and the ref calls stalling. Muz's coach, Mark Cody, thought the call was against Hendricks because Muz was in on a shot. He told Muz to put his hands down and circle. Muz did just that and lost by a point - the ref had been calling him for stalling. That year, the NCAA used that incident 3 times in their official rules video as an example of a BAD call.

LOL

Both guys warned for stalling, guy gets penalized for stalling, thinks he got a point for it, so his coach encourages him to stall out the match.  Wrestlerific!
5/11/12 8:16 AM
wiggum
302 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

rufus - <blockquote style="background-color: rgb(238, 238, 221);">wiggum -

Both guys had been warned for stalling. With 45 seconds to go, Muz shoots a single and the ref calls stalling. Muz's coach, Mark Cody, thought the call was against Hendricks because Muz was in on a shot. He told Muz to put his hands down and circle. Muz did just that and lost by a point - the ref had been calling him for stalling. That year, the NCAA used that incident 3 times in their official rules video as an example of a BAD call.

LOL

Both guys warned for stalling, guy gets penalized for stalling, thinks he got a point for it, so his coach encourages him to stall out the match.  Wrestlerific!<br type="_moz" />

This isn't rare at all. In wrestling, stalling is called way more aggressively than in, say MMA. If a wrestler is super active for 20 seconds, and the other guy isn't, stalling will be called.

But, hey, I don't want to steal your cheapshot glory.
5/11/12 9:36 AM
RPBJJ
159 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

just realized the only UFC Ive been to is the one the Hendricks lost... I like the guy so I'll not attend anymore of his fights.
5/11/12 12:22 PM
Vancouver BJJ
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

One of my favorite fighters now after he got through aka's A squad in impressive fashion.

I was shocked he stood there and traded with kos, even with double vision. Phone Post
5/11/12 12:57 PM
orbit
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

great post
7/20/12 11:01 AM
wiggum
302 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just came across the video of Hendricks v. Muz in the NCAA semis. Truly one of the worst calls in NCAA history. Coach Cody thought Muz had been given the point because Johnny was fleeing the mat. Skip to 8:10.
7/20/12 11:50 AM
wiggum

ttt
7/20/12 12:36 PM
ChaelTheFailSonnen
390 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Slick Jitz - ^ did you really have to quote the entire op?! >.< I kid I kid Phone Post
Yea I did Phone Post
7/20/12 12:55 PM
fryingarmbar
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I know jack about college wrestling and found this interesting. Thx for posting. Phone Post
7/20/12 4:24 PM
wiggum

^^Thanks
7/20/12 4:49 PM
Randy Marsh
168 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

7/20/12 10:23 PM
wiggum

ttt so more people will see the first of two insanely controversial matches en route to Johnny's national title.
7/20/12 11:18 PM
wiggum

^^True. But as stated in OP, he was the beneficiary of two of the most infamous screwjobs in wrestling history. To put it in perspective, go to thematforums.com. In the college forum, there is a discussion on the biggest screwjobs in history. More than one poster who has been following wrestling since at least the 1970s says that the Churella match was the biggest screwjob in tournament history.

Churella gets screwed at the following spots in this video:
1:20 (not a takedown)
5:40 (well, he's not being screwed. It's just odd reffing)
6:40 (Hendricks is very clearly pinned)

I can't find part two. But I think there were a couple other shady calls.
7/20/12 11:29 PM
Haulport
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Great post OP.

Hendricks has become a favorite of mine. Quite the character to go along with his ridiculous talent (and a head full of cement apparently from what we saw in the Koscheck fight)
7/20/12 11:38 PM
UGCTT_mizunomike27
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I would highly encourage anybody who wants to know more about Johny to check out his interview on the Sherdog Rewind. He gives about a 2 hour interview and touches on his upbringing, wrestling career, and of course, his MMA career. Great interview.

http://www.sherdog.com/radio/Rewind-Johny-Hendricks-2477
7/21/12 12:05 AM
Tommy Gunnz
118 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I graduated from the great OKLAHOMA STATE UNIVERSITY and was lucky enough to be going to school there when they won the team championship 4 years in a row with a murderers row of a lineup that was literally unstoppable.

Johnny was SERIOUSLY hated.....if you're not a college wrestling fan you can't possibly understand how much the entire wrestling nation hated Hendricks (except the cowboy faithful) just by the OP. He really was an enigma and you could tell he LOVED being out there wrestling and putting on a show for the fans.

I gotta admit, I didn't think he would transition well into MMA based on his build and style of wrestling, I thought Jake Rosholt would end up being the star out of all of the Oklahoma State wrestlers that got into mma (shane roller, mark munoz, hendricks, rosholt ect)......on a side note keep an eye out for Jake Rosholts younger brother, Jared, who is fighting MMA now at heavyweight, he has the perfect mentality to be a beast.

You keep talking about how great Askren was (and he WAS!!!!) but how about a little love for my fellow Cowboy Chris Pendleton who was an absolute animal and buttfucked Askren in the ncaa championship finals twice, if it wasn't for Pendleton, Askren would have easily been a 4 time national champ. I know Pendleton has been chasing the olympics but would love to see him get into MMA before he gets too old. I honestly think Pendleton was even more dominant of a wrestler than Johnny Hendricks was

anyway, just my .02
7/21/12 1:13 AM
UGCTT_Fillthy
163 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

FWIW - (I'm from Iowa, and I really hated Hendricks for the Churella match. It was the way he celebrated like he'd just dominated a guy, when everyone in the stands knew he'd been 'gifted' (as much as anything can be a gift when you've worked to get to that level) a championship.

But I've come around, and now I just chalk it up to immaturity/lack of perspective.

I've moved on to hating Kyle Dake, that stalling motherfucker. Hated his style long before the St John victory, due to the fact that any other wrestler would have been hit with several stalling points in any of his matches (especially after the rule changes last year). Koll should be ashamed, he knows how to wrestle.
7/21/12 1:18 AM
UGCTT_Fillthy
163 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

not shown in the video - Churella didn't get back points for the near fall, and lost by a point.
7/21/12 8:28 AM
wiggum

DonStirFrye - You specifically stated that there was "literally 6-7 horrible calls" in the Churella match so can you please list every one of these literal 6 or 7 horrible calls?

I documented 3 horrible calls above (though, admittedly, one worked in neither guys' favor). Filthy describes another one above. I haven't seen the match in years and the second half is no longer online. It's my recollection that there are at least a couple other bad calls. If I'm wrong, I apologize for writing literally.

What is true is that there were several incredibly bad calls. None helped Ryan. And Hendricks was saved AT LEAST 3 times (take down, pin, and near fall).
7/21/12 8:29 AM
wiggum

Great posts, Tommy Gunz and Filthy.

Good point about Pendleton - absolute beast. Bad style matchup for Askren, too.
7/21/12 8:58 AM
whoabro

fightsfan - tough guy from OKLAHOMA and heralded wrestler.

Part Indian, though not Native American Indian.

Tenacious will, wont be denied.
He is native american, according to his hour long interview on sherdog rewind Phone Post
11/18/12 7:44 AM
wiggum

I should have added in OP that Hendricks was born with the unusual affliction of having his fists made straight from the hammer of Thor.
11/18/12 7:49 AM
plyme69

. Phone Post
11/18/12 8:42 AM
wiggum

ttt
11/18/12 8:58 AM
EFeeez
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.