UnderGround Forums

LegalGround >> New Job

5/8/12 11:49 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
WikiTheWalrus
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I learned yesterday that I have passed the approval process and will be teaching at a mid-tier law school this fall. Yay! I also have at least one speaking engagement at a fairly large national conference this fall and a couple of papers in the process of getting published.

I never really considered academia, and I honestly don't think this will be the focus of my career from here on out, but it will be nice to try it out, at least for a year.
5/9/12 4:24 PM
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What are you teaching? Will you be using the socratic method? If so, cold calling, typewriter or serpentine pattern?
5/9/12 5:01 PM
HaMMerHouseFAN
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Rapp loves his serpentine pattern....
5/9/12 5:59 PM
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He used his 'random number generator' in Torts.
5/10/12 4:47 PM
WikiTheWalrus
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's a skills based class/clinic for 3Ls. Basically a class on how to write bench briefs, judicial opinions, and amicus briefs where we serve real clients.
5/10/12 6:32 PM

That sounds entirely too useful to be a law school class.
5/15/12 5:18 PM
Cookie Monster
82 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Awesome!

Congratulations! Sounds like things are really working out well for you.
5/18/12 10:02 PM
Trust
717 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

419 - That sounds entirely too useful to be a law school class.
lol

7/1/12 9:54 PM
bigskymma
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

WikiTheWalrus - It's a skills based class/clinic for 3Ls. Basically a class on how to write bench briefs, judicial opinions, and amicus briefs where we serve real clients.

Good for you! Law schools need to invest more in classes like these. I was lucky enough to go to a school focused on "skills" and "real world applicability" rather than theory. Thus far it has been a huge boon for me.

In meeting other law students from other schools I am shocked at how little they actually interacted/practice with real lawyering.
8/31/12 12:04 AM
WikiTheWalrus

Day of the first class and I had a student email me that she can't make the first class. I made it a requirement that they had to be there the first day since I was handing out the client files. I told her she had two choices, show up the same day and pick up the file or drop the class. She showed up.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.