UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Sherk: I'm still one of the best

5/11/12 2:23 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1069 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

"I'm not ready to walk away," said Sherk. "I consider myself still one of the top fighters in the world, I just want to get the right fight, get the right fight for my legacy."

The 38-year old Sherk has been competing in combat sports since age seven, with a decorated career as an amateur wrestler before making his mixed martial arts debut in the pre-Unified Rules era in 1999. And while he's been lucky enough to go as long as he has without suffering a serious injury, the cumulative effect from three decades of scrapping was his reason for taking an extended break.

"It's just normal wear and tear," said Sherk (36-4-1). "I've been competing in wrestling since I was seven years old, for 13 years, and I've been fighting professionally for 12 years. My first fight was in ‘99, so, you know, it's been a long road. I've always trained hard, my goal was work hard in the gym so I wouldn't have to suffer defeat, wouldn't ever have to get tired, wouldn't have to watch my opponent get his hand raised. Obviously over time, that stuff adds up."

read entire article...

5/11/12 2:24 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
THP
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Get em
5/11/12 2:25 PM
UGCTT_Bispingstolemysn
209 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Let's see... Phone Post
5/11/12 2:27 PM
needalife
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Always like sherk still believe he could compete with todays top guys and win. Hope to see him back soon Phone Post
5/11/12 2:33 PM
DRevan
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't know that he's still one of the best, but it's interesting to note that he's only lost to current or future UFC champions.
5/11/12 2:35 PM
Radio Raheem
1325 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Looking forward to seeing him fight again. Phone Post
5/11/12 2:38 PM
disbeliever
322 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He could have beat BJ if he did any wrestling.

I appreciate he said he kept boxing to put on a show for the fans, but he was losing the boxing game in round 1, should have mixed it up.
5/11/12 2:40 PM
GelderdEnd

He lost to Dunham imo Phone Post
5/11/12 2:40 PM
DRevan
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't know that he could have beaten BJ...Penn has excellent TD defense and it's not like everything is safe on the ground with Penn. I still think he would have lost either way, but it would have been a more competitive fight had he tried to employ a more diverse strategy.
5/11/12 2:46 PM
disbeliever
322 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DRevan - I don't know that he could have beaten BJ...Penn has excellent TD defense and it's not like everything is safe on the ground with Penn. I still think he would have lost either way, but it would have been a more competitive fight had he tried to employ a more diverse strategy.

I think Sherk had a good chance of beating Penn if he wrestled him.

Sherk does not get tired

I think Sherk is stronger than BJ, and BJ is notorious for gassing when being pushed around by stronger men. Once BJ saw Sherk was not going to shoot, he was able to just box. And Sherk has tiny arms.

And BJ has never submitted anyone from his back, has he?
5/11/12 2:47 PM
sevenwithcheese

A guy who felt the need to use steroids at 33, thinks he's still one of the best at 38? That doesn't make sense, and neither does giving him another UFC fight IMO.
5/11/12 2:49 PM
disbeliever

sevenwithcheese - A guy who felt the need to use steroids at 33, thinks he's still one of the best at 38? That doesn't make sense, and neither does giving him another UFC fight IMO.

Are you also against Chael ever fighting in the UFC again? Or Overeem?
5/11/12 2:58 PM
sevenwithcheese

disbeliever - 
sevenwithcheese - A guy who felt the need to use steroids at 33, thinks he's still one of the best at 38? That doesn't make sense, and neither does giving him another UFC fight IMO.

Are you also against Chael ever fighting in the UFC again? Or Overeem?
Yep. I think some of Chael's promos are funny, and really liked Overeem, but I don't ever want to see either of them in the UFC again. Nor do I want to see Barnett, or anyone else who is enhancing their performance with drugs.

I want to see two guys fight, not two guys compare prescriptions.
5/11/12 3:09 PM
MMALOGIC

feed him to melvin... this old dog needs to be put to sleep.
5/11/12 3:16 PM
Loxly
73 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

5-3 record in the UFC - all 5 wins by decision and 1 of those was controversial against Dunham.

tested positive for steroids, and has been injury plagued since then.

a few interviews i have read lately have him talking about his legacy.

i'm not seeing too much Hall of Fame worthiness in the UFC with Sherk.

5/11/12 3:19 PM
C Riv

I agree with the last few posters. Absolutely no evidence in recent memory to back up his claim. Phone Post
5/11/12 3:22 PM
Card
1907 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

5/11/12 3:25 PM
Soul Gravy

Bunch of morans on this thread.
5/11/12 3:27 PM
KurtIce

He has 12 fights in the UFC not 8 Phone Post
5/11/12 3:28 PM
paw
1352 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Would like to see Shrek fight in the UFC again.
5/11/12 3:31 PM
Loxly
73 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i missed the 4 fights earlier in his career. going 3-1 in those first 4 UFC fights.

my bad...Sherk makes me drowsy
5/11/12 4:07 PM
HELWIG
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

New fans suck.

Sherk is still up there but his style was based on RELENTLESS pressure and that is very hard to keep up north of 30.

"I want to see two guys fight, not two guys compare prescriptions. "

I actually agree^
5/11/12 6:23 PM
Bill Pharoni
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He might still be one the best in the division, but he would have to fight to prove it. It's been a long time since he proved anything, imo, and I used to be one of his biggest fans.

The game has changed since 2007. He's likely too short and too muscular for the quick 155 division of today.
5/11/12 6:37 PM
PhilBaroni
214 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sherk is still one of the best.
5/11/12 6:52 PM
UGCTT_JediMMA
191 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

PhilBaroni - Sherk is still one of the best.
This man speaks the troof! Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.