UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Top 10 fighters who don't look it

5/12/12 12:54 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
927 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Is it a stereotype if it's true?

The truth is a lot of fighters have a shaved head, tattoos, and a hairy eyeball. Take perhaps the most beloved figure in the sport, Wanderlei Silva.

However, if looks could kill, Kimbo Slice would be the openweight champion of the Universe. In MMA, things are a little more complex.

Below are twelve awesome fighters, who don't necessarily look it.

#12. Kazushi Sakuraba

Debatably the greatest fighter of all time. Scary looking only in an "OK why did that man draw eyes on his chest" way.

#11. Chris Horodecki

Looks like he is finally ready for a paper route.

#10. Mike Russow

After Russow crushed Todd Dufee at UFC 114, UFC President Dana White explained the phenomenon. “You’ve seen so many boxing events where you see this young, ripped-up guy who’s the next up-and-coming guy fighting some big flabby dude, and (fans are) like, ‘This is a setup. This guy’s supposed to win,’” said White. “But you can’t do that with MMA.”

In a sport where it is exceedingly hard to win, Russow is on an 11-fight win streak. And as he says, “I have a belly, I’m fat and some people see that, but I’m always in good shape.”

#9. Masakazu Imanari

Rousimar Plahares has the reputation and looks every bit the part of a guy who would literally rip you limb from limb, but Imanari has broken more legs.

Why? “Because it hurts the opponent," Imanari explains frankly.

#8. Joe Lauzon

Lauzon graduated with a degree in computer science major from the Wentworth Institute of Technology, and went to work as a network administrator at Charles River Analytics. Since then he has had twelve fights in the UFC, earning an 'of the Night' bonus in over half.

#7. BJ Penn

"We get fat, then we train and get skinny and the cycle goes over and over again," explains Penn, who holds wins over an entire Marvel Comic of ripped fighters including Sean Sherk, Matt Hughes, and Diego Sanchez.

#6. Roy Nelson

Enough said.

#5. Kenny Florian

Florian posseses an uncanny Ben Stiller impression, Hellbows, and the nearly unimaginable heart and skill to fight at 185, 170, 155, and 145, including three title shots.

#4. Jeremy Horn

In Enter the Dragon, the Jim Kelly character sneers at the bad guy with the line "Man, you come right out of a comic book." Jeremy Horn does not look like he came right out of a comic book.

But MMA is real and Horn has had probably over 150 fights, with wins over Chuck Liddell, Forrest Griffin, and Chael Sonnen (three times). He has gone the distance with the likes of Anderson Silva, Big Nog, and Randy Couture.

Horn probably knows more about MMA than any man alive. He just doesn't fit the stereotype.

#3. Royce Gracie

The sport of Mixed Martial Arts was born from the performance of one man - Royce Gracie. And he was chosen by his brother Rorion, who co-founded the UFC, exactly because, unlike his older brother Rickson, nothing about Royce but his stare appeared menacing. If this skinny guy could beat anyone in the world, people would instantly grasp the value of 'Gracie' Jiu-Jitsu.

And we all did.

#2. Shinya Aoki

Looks like he asking to be fed.

#1. Fedor Emelianenko

Fedor was at once, a little chubby, a little small, and perhaps the greatest fighter in the sport's history.

When not fighting, only his eyes are frightening. When fighting, everything was.

Honorable mentions: Nick Diaz, Nate Diaz, Kazushi Sakuraba.

Who would you add to the list?

Read entire article...

5/12/12 12:54 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
MarlyPersianNoob
67 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05/12/12 12:54 PM
5/12/12 1:26 PM
Large Fun Bags
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I can't see a list Phone Post
5/12/12 1:55 PM
Evzey
83 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gotta include Dustin Hazelett Phone Post
5/12/12 1:56 PM
UGCTT_thebroonies
126 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Where is the list? Phone Post
5/12/12 1:57 PM
Filo_Beto

yes, I would agree that fedor would be #1.

For years I would send his picture to friends that knew nothing about mma but where under the ignorant impression in order to be tough you had to have a certain look.

So, the moral of the story kids is that be careful who you start fights with, it's not always the ripped athletic looking guy that will whip your ass.
5/12/12 2:09 PM
da Vinci 81
101 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Aoki should be tops.
5/12/12 2:11 PM
Caligulus

This whole thread sucks complete ass because I honestly don't think Kimbo is that scary looking.

Compared to staring Wanderlei in the eyes Kimbo is shit. And this has nothing to do with his fighting abilities.. or either men.

Evangelista Cyborg is scarier than Kimbo.
Crocop scarier (back in the day look)
Thiago Silva WAY more scary.
Alexander Emelianenko way more scary.

I can keep going.

James THOMPSON is scarier looking when he gets hyped up.

Kimbo is just black. Don't see why that's so scary?

Why is everyone afraid of someone just cause they're black.

Rampage when he's in Rampage mode is far more scary (not because hes black) because his fucking demeanor.
5/12/12 2:22 PM
DamnSevern
1185 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

no rory?  FAIL

5/12/12 2:24 PM
TheRaider
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That list fails big time without Conduit. Phone Post
5/12/12 2:31 PM
Kirik
1400 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Underground, Mayor for Life
Caligulus - This whole thread sucks complete ass because I honestly don't think Kimbo is that scary looking.

Compared to staring Wanderlei in the eyes Kimbo is shit. And this has nothing to do with his fighting abilities.. or either men.

Evangelista Cyborg is scarier than Kimbo.
Crocop scarier (back in the day look)
Thiago Silva WAY more scary.
Alexander Emelianenko way more scary.

I can keep going.

James THOMPSON is scarier looking when he gets hyped up.

Kimbo is just black. Don't see why that's so scary?

Why is everyone afraid of someone just cause they're black.

Rampage when he's in Rampage mode is far more scary (not because hes black) because his fucking demeanor.
Kimbo ws included because his took his looks so far. What other fighter at his skill level has made so much money?

5/12/12 2:33 PM
Jei
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Phone Post
5/12/12 2:39 PM
Salokcin69
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

How in the actual fuck are the Diaz bros and sakuraba honorable mentions?? Phone Post
5/12/12 3:14 PM
nobigdeal
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fedor doesn't look like he's a fighter? Am I reading this shit correctly? A 230 pound Russian with cauliflower ears would scare me a lil if I saw him on the corner and didn't know who he was. And Nick Diaz as an honorable mention? One look at that guy should tell anybody with half a brain that you probably shouldn't piss him off for fun. Phone Post
5/12/12 3:21 PM
C Riv

Joe Lauzon, Frank Shamrock, kj noons, roy nelson Phone Post
5/12/12 3:29 PM
kevsh
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

B.S. on Fedor and Gracie.
You go to Russia, assume every guy is a tough guy and walk away.
You go to Brazil, assume every guy is BJJ Black Belt and walk away.

Rory, Edgar and Nate Diaz should be on that list. Nate has a special ed school look to him and he could hide behind a ski pole. You'd probably start laughing when he does his scowl, rips off his shirt and does his Hulk Hogan pose.
5/12/12 4:08 PM
3rdLion
216 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

John Hathaway looks and talks as though he has just left his private school in rural England.
5/12/12 4:10 PM
Deaf Forever

Fedor doesn't look like a "fighter" but he does look very strong/capable. A 230 pound man with a thick frame is intimidating to a lot of people.

5/12/12 4:42 PM
Doc T
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In Phone Post
5/12/12 4:46 PM
dudefromisrael
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

5/12/12 5:21 PM
HELWIG
129 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Take a look at Fedor from around the time he fought Handleman and tell me he wasnt intimidating.

Thickly stacked muscle with a layer of fat over it is probably the most naturally threating look possible on a primal level.
5/12/12 9:24 PM
RJJH

dudefromisrael -  

this is what I came here to post.

Horodecki #1.

guy looks like he is 12.
5/12/12 9:26 PM
Kirik
1400 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Underground, Mayor for Life
 Horodecki is an awesome addition. Post more and I'll add em in :-)
5/12/12 11:01 PM
Van City 604

Luke Cummo(from TUF 2) has got to be mentioned, lol.
5/12/12 11:36 PM
DiscipleDojo
573 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Disciple Dojo, L3C, Founder
 definitely Cummo! 

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.